Holidays Costs in UK

Soldato
I don't think that bit is mandatory.

UK holidays are great when it's sunny. But it almost never is (or at least isn't predictable) so I'd never book something in the UK.

This is the thing for me, i've never been to Cornwall/Devon area and would really like to, but the cost of doing so and then being stuck with it raining all week isn't for me. Especially since you're looking at around a 7hr drive each way. Vs going to Spain in ~5hrs including airport times and being able to sit and have a beer.

Caporegime
It's weird but a holiday I have here still feels like a holiday, I just use house as a base and explore a little more rather than polzeath, Tintagel ect, think I may wild camp a little this year

It is a beautiful area/coastline. Can't beat walking along the massive beaches. Pretty unbeatable if you get hot and lovely weather.

Soldato
Seawater is gross.

Let Neptune strike ye dead, winslow

Haaaaark! Hark, Triton! Hark!

Bellow, bid our father, the sea king, rise from the depths, full foul

in his fury, black waves teeming with salt-foam, to smother

this young mouth with pungent slime…

… to choke ye, engorging your organs till ye turn blue and

bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more…

only when he, crowned in cockle shells with

slithering tentacled tail and steaming beard,

take up his fell, be-finnèd arm — his coral-tined trident

screeches banshee-like in the tempest and plunges right through yer gullet,

bursting ye, a bulging bladder no more,

but a blasted bloody film now — a nothing

for the Harpies and the souls of dead sailors to peck and claw and feed

upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite waters of

the dread emperor himself…

forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil,

forgotten even to the sea… for any stuff or part of Winslow, even

any scantling of your soul, is Winslow no more, but is now itself

the sea.

Can't type for toffee
Don
The cost of flights needs to be factored in too, which will be much greater than the cost of fuel surely?

We booked a little while ago, Flights 22 Jun to Malta cost about 45 return xD
We weren't planning on it but saw the prices and thought wth not haha
Missed me gozo/malta trip last year and cannot wait

Just need to hope were allowed to fly with all the covid shenanigans

Associate
There's some serious price increases this year. No one went away last summer and the place in Devon I went to last year for £1200 at a full site is nearly £2.5k this summer. Complete joke, it is limited numbers compared to last year. I guess they are just trying to claw money back.

Not sure what we will do, I'm not flying though this year. Still not worth the gamble and also so many aircraft have just been sat about with limited checks in a parked condition with pilots who haven't flown for 12 months. Yeah I think I can wait another summer! :D

Caporegime
Yeh prices are going to be insane for local holidays this year. Hotel/Holiday Park owners know full well that they are likely going to be packed whatever they charge due to people's desperation to get away.

Soldato
Still not worth the gamble and also so many aircraft have just been sat about with limited checks in a parked condition with pilots who haven't flown for 12 months. Yeah I think I can wait another summer! :D
I don't see a reason why they would have decided not to look after aircraft all of a sudden. I'll be on a plane as soon as I can.

Associate
This is precisely why, having been in the UK for the last 12 years, I have never been to London. Instead we do European City breaks, for cheaper and more central and better hotels and more days.

Associate
Like last year places in the UK are getting booked up and prices seem to be quite high. I can actually go abroad for a 10 night stay including flights for less than what it costs to go to the likes of somewhere like centre parcs..... Hoping Covid settles down over the next few months and that we can get a last minute holiday abroad. when I say the lake district was horrendous last summer, that's not an understatement!!

Soldato
I don't think that bit is mandatory.

UK holidays are great when it's sunny. But it almost never is (or at least isn't predictable) so I'd never book something in the UK.

You wouldn't book a beach holiday in the UK for the weather but it has so much more to offer. I love staying in remote luxury cottages or lodges in the UK but a caravan site full of people? No thanks.

Associate
I don't see a reason why they would have decided not to look after aircraft all of a sudden. I'll be on a plane as soon as I can.

Limited maintenance programs and these aircraft are parked up all over Europe with very little technical support. The engineers have all been losing jobs or furloughed. Reliability wise they do not like being parked up for a few days let alone months. Mainly though it's lack of flying by the crews that bother me the most, it's usually them that kill you anyway! ;)

Soldato
Limited maintenance programs and these aircraft are parked up all over Europe with very little technical support. The engineers have all been losing jobs or furloughed. Reliability wise they do not like being parked up for a few days let alone months. Mainly though it's lack of flying by the crews that bother me the most, it's usually them that kill you anyway! ;)
Planes are probably technically safer without pilots, but that's a discussion for another time.

I certainly don't see flights being less safe, given that servicing requirements/checks haven't changed.

Associate
OP
I must say I do love Devon, and especially Cornwall. if there was decent paid work in the IT world in Cornwall i'd move there like a shot. but Alas no, so i have so go there when ever i can. But this year back to the land of permanent sunshine in the Canairies, for a dirt cheap price. Win Win.

Caporegime
Caravan holidays. Static or not ..

It's like taking a **** version of your house
To a place where there are more rules than your house
Paying more than going somewhere hot and nice.

My parents had a 3 birth caravan (towed) and we went on these holidays when we were younger.
It's ****
You even sometimes have to empty your own poo and collect water.
The amount of work setting up, all being crammed in.. Yep.. Nope

Never again.

At least with camping it's a bit wild and different. Which I like. And you can go to some really remote places.

Associate
I certainly don't see flights being less safe, given that servicing requirements/checks haven't changed.

They absolutely have changed and the manufacturers have desperately trying to adapt to a scenario no one ever could have seen coming, with thousands of grounded aircraft and none of the spares to even maintain them as the longest airlines where grounded was 9/11 previously. Aircraft are sitting where ever there is space, with next to no maintenance cover as so many third party engineering companies have either collapsed or not working.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom