Holocaust removed from school curriculum ... so it doesnt offend muslims

Soldato
Am i the only person who finds the absolutely disgusting?

Teachers are dropping controversial subjects such as the Holocaust and the Crusades from history lessons because they do not want to cause offence to children from certain races or religions, a report claims.

A lack of factual knowledge among some teachers, particularly in primary schools, is also leading to “shallow” lessons on emotive and difficult subjects, according to the study by the Historical Association.

The report, produced with funding from the Department for Education, said that where teachers and staff avoided emotive and controversial history, their motives were generally well intentioned.

“Staff may wish to avoid causing offence or appearing insensitive to individuals or groups in their classes. In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship,” it concluded.

However, it was concerned that this could lead to divisions within school, and that it might also put pupils off history.

Linkage

UK muslims just take the **** and will continue to do so until cars or doors are banned as they are offensive. I think its rediculus. Also its only over here they are a pain in the backside and dont drink etc, I got a uni mate from pakistan and he says all muslims back home drink and smoke!
Imo the holocaust is one of the few important things history taught me!

Soldato
this is really becoming a joke - do the top dogs who make up these rules really think that if they visited a muslim country that they were be respected so much and the rules would be changed not to offend them?? The whole thing is a total joke - common sense has gone out the window. It all seems to work one way. If British people annoy Muslims its all a big outcry... if Muslims annoy/offend the British people then nobody gives a toss! It is a British country so either like it or leave it - simple as.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The worry about offending vocal minorities (Muslims, atheists, fundamentalist christians etc) is getting way out of hand. We should not pander to the minorities if they start whinging about something.

Asus Rep
Vendor Rep
I know that Wiki get's villified at times for being innacurate but I spent the whold of Friday night reading through stuff on the holocaust there. The irony is that prominent muslims claim persecution by the west yet they can't see that history can teach us great lessons. There is no greater or tragic example than of the holocaust in my opinion.

Soldato
I'm sorry where are Muslims mentioned in that article? I would presume that if they were worried about offending anyone it would be Germans and Jews?

Teachers are dropping controversial subjects such as the Holocaust and the Crusades from history lessons because they do not want to cause offence to children from certain races or religions, a report claims.
Seems either
1. They're doing it off their own back, not having been asked to do it - thus their own fault for being PC silly
2. They're using it as a cover for not actually being able to teach the subjects very well.

Associate
Not surprised, Islam is a dangerous ideology, further enhanced by "our" willingness to allow pandering to "sensitivities". Crock of horse manure really!
Typical of government/guardian-lefties type teachers:
"We are doomed to repeat history if we do not learn from it (some wise person who I can not remember)."

Associate
The worry about offending vocal minorities (Muslims, atheists, fundamentalist christians etc) is getting way out of hand. We should not pander to the minorities if they start whinging about something.

FYI atheists are the second largest section a statistical representations, just after christians. If something is actually wrong shouldn't someone stand up the ideals?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
FYI atheists are the second largest section a statistical representations, just after christians. If something is actually wrong shouldn't someone stand up the ideals?

By what metric in the UK?

On 2003-FEB-14, TimesOnline published the results from the 2001-APR-29 decennial government census. 3 For the first time since 1851, the census included a question on religion. 4 It was the only optional question on the census. Over 92% of the population answered it.

The results indicate that Britain remains a Christian country, at least in terms of religious affiliation. In the 2001-APR-29 census, out of a total population of 58.79 million: 5Religion Number (in millions) % of total population
Christianity 42.079 71.6%
No religion (Incl. Jedi) 9.10 15.5
Refused to answer 4.29 7.3
Islam 1.59 2.7
Hinduism 0.559 1.0
Sikhism 0.336 0.6
Judaism 0.267 0.5
Buddhism 0.152 0.3
Other 0.179 0.3
Total population 58.789 100.0%

http://www.religioustolerance.org/uk_rel.htm

No religion != Atheist, at least not as far as the census was concerned.

I do not follow an organised religion that could be categorised, but I am not an atheist. An agnostic doesn't have a religion, but they are not in most cases an atheist.

And as for standing up for what you believe in, isn't that one of the primary complaints of those who are against religion that people stand up for what they believe in?

Caporegime
What a wonderfully fact free bit of reporting! Who has dropped it? What reason did they give? What are they teaching instead?

I don't recall having studied the crusades at school anyway. The holocaust, yes, but not in primary school.

Man of Honour
I'm sorry where are Muslims mentioned in that article? I would presume that if they were worried about offending anyone it would be Germans and Jews?

Seems either
1. They're doing it off their own back, not having been asked to do it - thus their own fault for being PC silly
2. They're using it as a cover for not actually being able to teach the subjects very well.

I think quite a few people missed this bit.

However, it does say something about teaching standards in this country at the moment: students are passing exams rather than being educated. If we wanted such a system in place, we might as well subscribe to the Baccaleureate.

Soldato
Who really cares...
I mean that the teaching of history is highly relevant anyway depending on the viewpoint of whoever is doing the teaching. I know of Muslims who have told me about things that I was never taught about the crusades, that I was shocked to learn.
As long as they teach that the Holocaust was a terrible thing then they are on the right track, cant see how that should offend anyone, no-one can deny it was terrible.

As for learning from History, humankind doesn't, there have been many forms of genocide since the Holocaust and no-one does anything to stop it..
Darfour, Rwanda and the whole Israel/Palestine issue which governments just ignore or act on too late...

Soldato
A lack of factual knowledge among some teachers, particularly in primary schools, is also leading to “shallow” lessons on emotive and difficult subjects.

People seem to be going off at a tangent into their usual positions.

These subjects are a bit heavy for primary children. Primary techers are generalists not experts in a subject. So not to appear biased they are glossing over contentious areas, which I quite agree with. These subjects should be taught, at Secondary level.

At Secondary level it would depend on the Local Authority/Exam Board as to what is taught. Not every area can be taught in the time available so even if a History teacher had a choice, it might be one that does not appeal. After all, we have had politicians for the past many years saying that the teaching of British History has been ignored and telling LA's to stress British History.

Soldato
i heard this morning on BBC Five Live a woman phoned in and said her daughter at nursery school is not allowed to say 'Bless you' when she sneezes in case it offends some other religion/race!!!! WHat the heck is that all about?! The world really has gone mad!

Associate
Wait, is this article about primary education or secondary? The piece is ambiguous and offers no solid facts, only vague interpretations of a report that isn't linked to.

This is why I despise modern journalism. You can quote all sorts of rubbish out of context and make it sound controversial.

Man of Honour
We could do with a holocaust in this country, clean out the bad influences. :mad:

Soldato
Yet another step in the wrong direction. Whats going to be next? The Big Bang Theory?

I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the holocaust at school and that knowledge helped me to pass my history a-levels. Seeing as our country fought in World War 2, its a part of our history and therefore I feel children in this country should be taught about it. If its part of our history then it should be on our curriculum.

Last edited:
Soldato
We could do with a holocaust in this country, clean out the bad influences. :mad:

:eek:

On a more serious note, should such drivel be allowed in SC? As has been mentioned by a few posters above, there is nothing in the article that points this request being made by Muslims or on the back of Muslim complaints, in fact the word Muslim isn't even mentioned in the title - so why did the OP decide to stick that in the thread title?

Last edited: