holy shimoly - 30" monitor is ridiculous

Suspended
Slogan said:
8igdave, tv resolutions are a lot smaller though, so you'd have a big screen, big icons and text etc. HDTV tvs have higher resolutions, but are dearer for the higher end ones and still not as high as the monitor sizes, as far as I know.

For gaming you really don't want a 3000x2000 screen, at least 40"-50" 1920x1080 means you can get away with lesser spec PC. I can play Oblivion at native on the sig PC @ 1080p, and still fine.

Soldato
squiffy said:
For gaming you really don't want a 3000x2000 screen, at least 40"-50" 1920x1080 means you can get away with lesser spec PC. I can play Oblivion at native on the sig PC @ 1080p, and still fine.

Understand what you're saying, but when someone is spending the guts of £800 on a monitor alone (most people's budget for a pc), then a lesser spec PC isn't going to be much of a concern for them or their wallet.

Suspended
Slogan said:
Understand what you're saying, but when someone is spending the guts of £800 on a monitor alone (most people's budget for a pc), then a lesser spec PC isn't going to be much of a concern for them or their wallet.

But a 40"-56" acts as a TV/DVD, a monitor won't (wrong ratio, too small, incorrect resolution for scaling)

Permabanned
And back on topic.. 30". Nais.

I'm receiving a 22" soon, and it's going to be huge compared to the 15" 4:3 I've been using for the last year ;).

Soldato
My friend uses a 32" LCD TV as his monitor. Needless to say its slowly burning holes in his retina's.

In his words; "A flashbang in CS:S really is like a flashbang."

Suspended
FirebarUK said:
My friend uses a 32" LCD TV as his monitor. Needless to say its slowly burning holes in his retina's.

Turn down contrast.

Soldato
squiffy said:
19" CRT is tiny, it's same size as 17" LCD.
You can buy 1920x1080 screens 37", 40", 42", 46" and 52" I think there's a 65", and even a 120"!

How is a 17" lcd the same size as a 19" crt? :confused:

Can you get 19" tft's that will do a good res? ie an improvement over my 19" crt sitting at 1600 x 1200? If not i think i'd like a 20-21 widescreen lcd next, just wont be able to afford one for ages yet.

Suspended
Have you measured your 19"? I had a 19" CRT, and now a 17".
Go and get a tape measure, I bet you £1000 your 19" CRT isn't 19" (viewable)

I understand your reasons about resolutions, 19" LCD have pretty poor resolution, my 17" LCD has the same as 19", so really not worth buying a bigger screen, when it's the same resolution. My 17" is 1280x1024 and that's perfect.

Soldato
Had one for about 6 months now, and you couldnt persuade me to switch back.. Once your used to the size and res there is NO alternative!

Give it a chance, you will grow to love the extra inches.

SaM C

Associate
Bigger is better :)

Stick with it. As many have said you soon get used to it.

Way back I had 2 19" illyama crts but they were taking up way too much footprint.

Lcd were finally good enough as a crt replacement so I went for a dell 20" (2005fpw)

After a while I realised I needed more virtual deskspace as I use apps like flash that benefit from having an pallets/code window.

I was going to go for the 30 but couldn't justify the cost.
Instead I have a 24 (2407wfp) with the 20 as my pallet/code window.(the 20 is in portrait mode)

When I first got the 24 I thought it was quite big - now (6mths later) it seems quite normal and the 20 seems tiny :D

oh and I am sitting the standard ergonomic arms length from the monitors :)

Associate
FirebarUK said:

Haha I know how he feels... how about on a 40inch Samsung it literally hurts when you get shot in CS:S LOL :D
Not really but the weapons are about the real size on the screen :eek: and all other games are just a dream to play on a monitor/tv that size.

I was going to buy the 30inch Dell but the lack of connectors on the monitor really put me off as I wanted to hook up all my devices to it.
So I decided on the 40inch Samsung LCD HDTV instead which is awesome as I can hook everything to it.

It took me awhile to get used to the size of it but after a few months of use I just can't go back to my 20inch Dell LCD, the Samsung is just a dream to use gaming or watching movies on.

I game on it at 1920 x 1080 using 2 x 8800gtx's in SLI using a Quad Xeon x3210 cpu & 4gb of ram.

Here is a picture of it.....

samsung1me3.jpg

buachille good luck with the new monitor :D

Associate
I don't know why people insist on saying a 19" CRT has the same viewable area as a 17" TFT. I see this claim repeated again and again on forums. I have two 19" CRTs of different makes, both have a 18" viewable area. From a quick Goggle just now of 19" CRTs for sale on the net all the ones I found were also 18" viewable.

Telling people if they move from a 19" CRT to a 19" TFT that they are going to get a jump of 2" in their monitor size is misleading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom