Home Car Ramp Recommendations / Experience

Soldato
Hey All,

Anyone on here got any experience with the various home car ramps available, not the drive up metal ramps but the home scissor ramps, usually plug with small pump.

Looking at something like this for the garage instead of using jacks and axel stands.

Most of them are portable so could even use them out on the drive too.

Your thoughts and experience is welcome :)

Thanks

Soldato
No experience to offer, but everytime I've seen them in use on various motoring YouTube channels, they seem to garner nothing but praise. If you don't have room for a full size lift, they seem to be a great alternative. If I had a garage big enough to use for working on the car, I think it would be the first thing I'd buy...I always find jacking up and supporting the car to be the worst and most tiresome bit of most mechanical jobs.

As far as I know they work off compressed air, so you'd need a compressor and air line too. But they aren't particularly expensive I don't think.

Soldato
OP
I used to have a scissor lift, total nightmare on any form of lowered car unless you have something to drive onto. They were portable, and while in use they were a godsend!

Yeah I have seen some folks actually cut them into the garage floor, something that I could do.

Soldato
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while. My garage isn't wide enough to work on a car so was thinking of a portable lift that I can set up on the driveway.

Those QuickJack lifts look ideal.

Soldato
I keep suggesting a scissor ramp to my dad as he's getting a bit old to be climbing in and out of his pit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I keep suggesting a scissor ramp to my dad as he's getting a bit old to be climbing in and out of his pit.

The supplier does a nice scissor ramp, goes quite a bit higher than the quickjack, about double the price and I would argue not as portable, would be perfect for a permanent garage install.

The quickjack lifted my GLA no problem which was already quite high being a mini SUV, using the larger supplied blocks in the right place it still lifted and managed to easily get all four wheels off the ground, its really easy to move them into place, get them roughly in position, then raise so almost touching, then adjust position and fully raise.

Associate
Heard some good things about scissor jacks, but as mentioned if you car is low it could be an issue. I went for quickjacks as I am always working on my own projects and refuse to go under a car on just axle stands or jack a car up solely on trolley jacks having seen so many people get it wrong.

I did a little review, if this helps: https://youtu.be/bR0BnqPJk1M

Soldato
when i was seriously looking a couple of years ago (before having kids..) i'd settled on a mid lift scissor lift, they were about £1600 at the time as i reasoned they'd give the best access in an at home environment short of a 2 post lift which i didn't have the space in the garage for and they could just be left in place and driven over when not in use. I'd looked at the quick jacks but wondered if they'd be a bit too much compromise as you still need to lug them under the car and connect stuff up and they didn't look that much higher than some decent jack stands?

Caporegime
Heard some good things about scissor jacks, but as mentioned if you car is low it could be an issue. I went for quickjacks as I am always working on my own projects and refuse to go under a car on just axle stands or jack a car up solely on trolley jacks having seen so many people get it wrong.

I did a little review, if this helps: https://youtu.be/bR0BnqPJk1M
Great review, made my mind up, thanks

Associate
Does it have some form of bar or locking mechanism once they are extended under the car?

Yes as it raises, there is a locking bar on both sides with a cam on the end of it, it locks in place at 2/3 points/heights. To lower it again, you raise the ramps slightly with the button, then rotate the cam on the end of the locking pole so it rolls over the locking points and lowers down. You can also use additional axle stands for additional safety on other points on the car if you like for even more safety

Great review, made my mind up, thanks

Thanks for watch, a creeper is ideal for use with this so you aren't on the cold floor under this. I went for one like this, but they do even more padded ones: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/c40...ikLcJoj23JxRvKRSKxXU_aGCeQ81XygxoCTHcQAvD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom