"Home Cinema" Living Room - mostly complete

Soldato
That desk and coffee table trunk are stunning. I would love a projector and screen but my living room is an awkward layout meaning I could have it along the longest sides. The screen would end up being 4m from viewing position with a projector right above. Probably way too close?

Beautiful setup though. How much effect do the ceiling speakers give You?

Associate
OP
Cheers guys,

That desk and coffee table trunk are stunning. I would love a projector and screen but my living room is an awkward layout meaning I could have it along the longest sides. The screen would end up being 4m from viewing position with a projector right above. Probably way too close?

My Dad has a projector at that kind of distance above where he sits in his lounge, just projected onto a wall. Projector central has a calculator about distance, brightness and screen size for the projectors, you can have a look.

Beautiful setup though. How much effect do the ceiling speakers give You?

We've watched a lot of films, many of which don't have an atmos soundtrack. It's hard to remember specifics of those that do, just that it does sound great.

Bladerunner was one of the first films i watched when this was all setup - the sound was amazing, it had me beaming - the synth music and the rain from above, so much atmosphere. We watched it the day before we went to the cinema to see Bladerunner 2049, the experience of watching the first one at home was far superior. I do now have 2049 to watch at home, so look forward to that :)

Associate
Really cool space with a great setup, love the desk/shelving, the colours work really well, you should be really pleased with the end result :)

Associate
OP
Really cool space with a great setup, love the desk/shelving, the colours work really well, you should be really pleased with the end result :)

Thanks!

I didn't even mention..

The space between the sofa and the PC is for my VR gaming - this was the start of the entire project, wanting more space for VR! Ended up extended the lounge adding a fourth bedroom plus other things.

The ceiling bulbs are all Philips hue colour, and are pretty funky using the disco app on the phone to have them flash to the music :)

Soldato
Great room! Looks fantastic now it’s all complete. Nice lamp, we’ve got the silver and black one in our extension! Sadly what we don’t have is a 7.1.4 atmos system, but one step at a time!

Associate
OP
Great room! Looks fantastic now it’s all complete. Nice lamp, we’ve got the silver and black one in our extension! Sadly what we don’t have is a 7.1.4 atmos system, but one step at a time!

it's the natural progression from lamp to 7.1.4 :) thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks awesome, beautiful finish to the room and furniture looks great. Excellent choice of amp too, Anthem is still the best I have heard, I'm running the 720 but will 7 channels of power amps, so my 720 only drives 2 ceiling speakers.

My only concern with this room is that light must leak around those blinds. I like it to be pitch black as any light coming in will distract me. I really wanted some fancy Shy Zip blinds but couldn't justify the cost, in the end I used velcro and some blackout material, just a pain taking it off and putting it back on.

Associate
OP
Looks awesome, beautiful finish to the room and furniture looks great. Excellent choice of amp too, Anthem is still the best I have heard, I'm running the 720 but will 7 channels of power amps, so my 720 only drives 2 ceiling speakers.

My only concern with this room is that light must leak around those blinds. I like it to be pitch black as any light coming in will distract me. I really wanted some fancy Shy Zip blinds but couldn't justify the cost, in the end I used velcro and some blackout material, just a pain taking it off and putting it back on.

We might think differently come summer with light evenings, but so far it's been fine for our usage - we even sometimes watch things with the lights on/dimmed - either we're eating on our laps or I'm playing on the PS4 and Louise doesn't want to sit in the dark. It's possible we may eventually get curtains.

I'm planning some film marathons with friends, I've already organised hunger games - all four films in a day. So we'll be watching them from morning to night, if the light leak is distracting then I will cover it up with bin bags for now ;) Also got a harry potter weekend planned, all 8 films saturday/sunday.

Caporegime
TBH light leak around blinds is minimal vs the light output from the projector, i was worried about the same in our dedicated cinema room, but i've never found it to be an issue.

Good looking room OP, i'd find it hard to live with that wall colour in an everyday room though.

Soldato
Light leak becomes more of an issue in dark scenes. I don't have my room totally blacked out all the time, but when I do and the screen goes totally black between scenes I can't see the my hand in front of my face.

Curtains will leak light too, the only way to totally stop it is something like those Shy Zip blinds.

http://www.shy.co.uk/products/zip/

Soldato
Excellent job there, looks like a great cinema and gaming den!

Only thing I hate beyond belief is the symmetrical grid of spotlights. there should be far less of them and should be spaced for where the light is needed, not to provide a blanket of downlight across the whole room.

Associate
OP
there should be far less of them

Philips hue lights are dimmer than standard GU10 bulbs, there was a real concern 16 would not be enough - online lumen calculations showed I'd need about 24+

it's never bright with them all on.

They are also spaced so there's 8 in each section of the room :D

Associate
OP
Turns out one of my photobackdrops fits fairly ok in the doorway,

I'm happy with this level of daytime darkness

28276593_10160339624620227_5890609876633103221_n.jpg

this will only be for film marathons during the day with lots of people in our lounge, so it's hardly going to be optimum viewing :) with interruptions and the like - people will want to see the snacks and drinks. My puppy is also going to want to go for toilet breaks..

If I get some theatre blackout cloth I can shut it in the door to keep it in place..

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks amazing man, I remember following the original thread :)

One thing, if someone is watching something and you're on the PC (or someone else is) does that speaker right next to monitor get annoying? Not a nit pick, just wondered if its been a problem?

Stunning stunning room has others have said, the colour looks fantastic and the design of each piece of furniture seems to suit it so well. Great work :) :D

Back
Top Bottom