1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Doobedoo, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

Hi Guy's. I've recently started acquiring bit's for my home cinema setup but need recommendations on either 2 rear surround speakers or 2 front surround speakers. I will prefer to save some money and buy second hand and keep the cost down without buying rubbish.

So far I have

Sony STR-DN1080 as a receiver

3 x Monitor Audio Radius 180's as left, right and center (but could possible use left and right for rears).

And a BK XXLS400 for the sub.

What do you think?

2. lucid

Mobster

Monitor Audio Radius 45s.

3. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

I don't fancy the idea of 45's they look too small to me plus people want stupid money for them. Smallest I'll go is 90's but I'm preferring the idea of getting some floor standers for the front and moving the 180's to the rear.

I have my eye on some Kef IQ5's or maybe some Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 if I can find a pair for the right money. Do you know of other similar speakers that will likely sell in the same ballpark as these?

4. lucid

Mobster

S/h look at MA BX5

I'd be careful of mixing Kef and MA across the front sound stage. Also, IMO, Radius 180 would look odd as side/rear surrounds.

5. 413x

Capodecina

I've got MA rx all round.
    Started with a 5.1 all in cheap package. Upgraded to bx then bit bullet for RX.

Package to BX was a bigger step than BX to RX
    Ran RX fronts with BX rears for a while. But I would not mix brands

All second hand

Haven't heard anything anywhere near comparable to mine. So cant comment on comparison

6. benjii

Mobster

I have a pair of these, a pair of the Bronze FX's, Bronze Centre and the Bronze W10 sub. The whole setup is cracking, but the BR5's really stand out, they're fantastic.

7. Metallifux

Wise Guy

I have the 45's as rears, surprisingly good.

8. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

Well I’ve won some BR5’s so should pick them up tomorrow, will move the 180’s to the rear and maybe bi-amp the fronts. Will also upgrade the centre at some point.

What is the best way to set the BR5’s in bi-amp? What cross-over settings will I need to use ect?

9. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

My issue is not necessarily how well the will perform but how much people want for them.

The ones I seen went for not a lot less than I will be paying for the BR5’s and more than I paid for all 3 180’s.