Home Media Network?

Associate
Hi, I hope this is the correct forum section.

I want to create a home media network for streaming movies to my main TV (downstairs) and the TV in my bedroom (upstairs).

I have a ps3 under my main tv and I also have a spare media pc that is capable of playing movies from a server/nas drive (i think).

What is the best way for me to do this? Here is what I have planned so far.

NAS Drive (under the stairs) connected to my netgear DG834GT Router via ethernet cable, this router is also connected to my main pc so I presume I can use this to upload files etc to the nas drive? I can then connect the router to the media PC which will be upstairs via ethernet which will then connect to my TV in the bedroom (i have a wireless keyboard so I can select files etc to play). Do I need to connect the ps3 via ethernet to the router or nas drive or can this be done wireless?

Anyway Im just looking for some good advice if this is the correct way to go or is there a easier way to do this etc?

thanks in advance.

Associate
Sounds like it should work fine, I would definately connect the PS3 to the router using ethernet though, wireless isnt reliable enough to stream video certainly not HD stuff.

Hawker

Soldato
The PS3 will stream SD content over wireless G without skipping a beat. I'm not sure how good it is with HD stuff though.

Associate
The PS3 will stream SD content over wireless G without skipping a beat. I'm not sure how good it is with HD stuff though.

Yeah SD is fine wirelessly can sometimes become jerky with HD content if something else is happening on the network while watching something so if you can wire it in do it.

Also if your NAS is dnla compliant your ps3 should just see it on the network without having to use a server (unless its running ps3 media server to decode mkv's on the fly)

Back
Top Bottom