Home office monitor help

Caporegime
I want to buy my mum a new 24 inch monitor for her birthday.

She works from home as a legal Secretary using Word and lots of text based proprietary software based around court schedules and things.

I want something that’ll be easy for the eyes to work on for long periods and is nice and sharp with good colour and brightness. Is a higher refresh rate better for eyes? I’m not sure exactly what to look for.

Can anyone recommend a suitable monitor for around £250-£300 please?

Don
Crap! I’ve just noticed my mums PC only has VGA. Will an HDMI to VGA converter cable pass through OK?

It only has to be 1080p at 60Hz.

You'd be better off buying a monitor that has a VGA port. Anything 1080P 60hz or greater is much of a muchness at 24". Only thing worth considering is that IPS panels normally have better viewing angles which can be helpful when working.

Soldato
Is a higher refresh rate better for eyes?
LCDs don't flicker like CRTs and 60Hz is fine for office work.
What matters is setting brightness right.

Crap! I’ve just noticed my mums PC only has VGA.
Many monitors with VGA.
Dell P2421 or its "annual update" P2423 would be good with WUXGA (1920x1200) being far more usefull than marketing scam "Full HD".

But must be very old PC to not have at least DVI.

gEd

gEd

Associate
LCDs don't flicker like CRTs and 60Hz is fine for office work.
What matters is setting brightness right.

Many monitors with VGA.
Dell P2421 or its "annual update" P2423 would be good with WUXGA (1920x1200) being far more usefull than marketing scam "Full HD".

But must be very old PC to not have at least DVI.

I agree that for office work, a 16:10 1920x1200 monitor is much better than a 16:9 1080.

Soldato
Crap! I’ve just noticed my mums PC only has VGA. Will an HDMI to VGA converter cable pass through OK?

It only has to be 1080p at 60Hz.

Can you install a cheap Geforce card, such as this. Shame to spend so much on a monitor, then not power it digitally.

Pre-owned you would get that card even cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom