Home Surround Sound

Soldato
I will shortly be doing a house renovation and looking at home cinema speaker options. I currently have a 5.1 setup with Wharfedale 9.3, 9.CS and 9.1 speakers (I have retired the sub and need a replacement), with the cables channeled in/under the floorboards and terminated with wallplates.

I've been wondering whether it's worth bothering at all with surround sound, whether I should look to fit rear ceiling speakers or bi/dipoles. Whatever I do, I don't want any wires on show!

I do enjoy surround sound, so think I will stick with it, but....

•Is 5.1 worth installing, or should I be looking to a different configuration?
•Have soundbars replaced the traditional setup?

5.1 seems a sensible compromise to me... 6.1 and 7.1 haven't really taken off, as no one wants their home full of speakers. Is atmos going to be the same? How many films have atmos tracks? What about streaming sources? Is it just the "in thing" that will fade away once the novelty wears off?

Any thoughts? What would you go for if starting afresh.

Soldato
For movies, I would recommend staying with 5.1, I would not downgrade to lesser speakers unless you have a lower budget.
If your side/surround speakers are close to your head, I would recommend bipoles over regular speakers. I'm using Definitive Technology BP-2X's for this reason (have two pairs) they're diffused sound rather than direct, slimmer than regular speakers, and wall mount backplate. I also had dipoles but I think those are too diffused.

I use 7.1 as my processor expands 5.1 to 7.1 and does a fab job doing so. Pro-Logic IIx will as well. Atmos requires two or ideally four ceiling down firing speakers.

I haven't gone Atmos although I do have power amplifiers spare to use them- I would require new processor, cutting holes in the ceiling etc.

Caporegime
the biggest question here is. what sources do you use.

as you will find the majority of people only use stereo or 5.1 @ max. so no point in 7.1 or 5.1.2

5.1 is what I would recommend, however if you plan on buying lots of 4k blu rays then go for a 7.2.2

Soldato
OP
the biggest question here is. what sources do you use.

as you will find the majority of people only use stereo or 5.1 @ max. so no point in 7.1 or 5.1.2

5.1 is what I would recommend, however if you plan on buying lots of 4k blu rays then go for a 7.2.2

Most of my sources are 5.1 DD or DTS... I guess that answers my question lol. I suppose I was asking if anyone could see into the future!

I think I'll stick with 5.1.

Looking for thoughts on the rear speakers now.

The rear wall will be a good few feet away from the seating position.

Soldato
My sources are 5.1 as well, but the processor expands that to 7.1, most AVR's do, and it does fill in the rear area more.

Try a few speaker types, and see what you prefer. You've got standard speakers, plus dipoles (sides only) bipole, and tripole.

Back
Top Bottom