Home user PC support /repairs anyone doing it?

Soldato
I've been doing this for 15 years (as a hobby) I work full time (in IT) . Been really lazy for the past 3 /4 years income has dropped 50% to 70%..

I've been posting leaflets (much less successful that a few years ago)

A bit cheaky to ask but I've given plenty of help and advice to people over the years here but any suggestions on how to boost income (customers)? Anyone had luck advertising on Facebook? Advertising in different ways or maybe pushing slightly different angles?

To be clear I work full time this is my hobby (side benefit is money) I don't need to do this.

Possibly only people who do home User support can help here I'd really appreciate any advice offered.

Soldato
First thing I'd do that is free, is join local community facebook groups. Most towns/villages all have one and recommend people for things. It'll be a great way to get to know your area and surrounding towns. Don't be all out salesy as people won't like you coming in and selling right at them, but join, contribute, listen and you should find people in those that will be useful. Also they're the sort of people who are more likely to need computer support tbh!

Permabanned
When I used to do it 15 years ago there was a big demand but over the years I feel it’s gone down hill.

The biggest thing I found was configuring people’s routers and having to setup the broadband usernames and passwords for people creating home networks.

This was the biggest money maker for me but once routers come pre configured and devices become plug n play there was no need any more for that.

Personally I don’t think there’s a market for this any more. Don’t get me wrong you might make a tiny bit money but probably nothing worth your time. As time moves on more people are using mobiles and tablets and the gamers now know what to do. Many of them build their own systems.

So unless you are going to expand your energy and be able to fix tablets and mobiles and laptops then it probably wouldn’t be worth your time or is this your plan?

Soldato
Local buy/sell /swap groups on Facebook usually see that sort of thing
Though turning your hand to fixing smashed mobile phone screens may get you more customers
Ironically forums like this one have had a significant effect on home pc repair business. :)

Soldato
OP
This was the biggest money maker for me but once routers come pre configured and devices become plug n play there was no need any more for that.

Personally I don’t think there’s a market for this any more. Don’t get me wrong you might make a tiny bit money but probably nothing worth your time. As time moves on more people are using mobiles and tablets and the gamers now know what to do. Many of them build their own systems.

So unless you are going to expand your energy and be able to fix tablets and mobiles and laptops then it probably wouldn’t be worth your time or is this your plan?

yer i started when you were finishing and found routers / BB issues were a good money spinner, as well as virus' and updates breaking windows (which have mostly gone with w10)

met a lot of interesting people, made some good extra money,

will just chug along, fixing screens is not really my thing,

Permabanned
There are extra things you could do, depends. Can you design websites? Install multi-APs so it covers the full house or building? Install network cable in peoples houses? Repair phone screens? There are many services you could do, it's matter of seeing what you like to offer.

Caporegime
A bit cheaky to ask but I've given plenty of help and advice to people over the years here but any suggestions on how to boost income (customers)? Anyone had luck advertising on Facebook? Advertising in different ways or maybe pushing slightly different angles?

Not me personally but I noticed there is one bloke in my local area (well local to my London flat) who is mentioned regularly on the local Facebook group - seems to be promoted a lot by his missus too. He seems to have built up a rep as the local go to IT person and generally people do like recommendations etc..giving business to individuals etc.. so it is perhaps worth exploring.

I'd assume he's still in business at the moment albeit I presume people are coordinating some sort of social distancing drop off/collection.

I mean OCUK and other places are still open for any component needs - tis feasible for you to look at doing this - it is "work" so if you were to collect/drop off then it is a valid reason to be out (especially if the computer being repaired is in turn required for someone's work from home) - though you could just as well get people to drop off collect to/from you.

Soldato
The home market is pretty much gone. I have some clients but they are small businesses who work from home.

Same.

Before I stopped, people turned to laptops and as time when on it was more of a pain to replair. If its was an newer MacBook then no chance, it wasn't worth it anymore.

Now if a laptop breaks, people just buy a new one as they are so cheap.

Soldato
Same.

Before I stopped, people turned to laptops and as time when on it was more of a pain to replair. If its was an newer MacBook then no chance, it wasn't worth it anymore.

Now if a laptop breaks, people just buy a new one as they are so cheap.

When I started out I was in inundated with work with home users for several years. As you say equipment is cheap. many people using iPads and phones instead of the ugly beige box in the corner.

Man of Honour
The home market is pretty much gone. I have some clients but they are small businesses who work from home.

This.

Although I think some people might appreciate the value of having a desktop/laptop after all this, I just don't think there's enough.

The problem is then costing. How do you price the time it takes to do something, then pass that on to the customer with a profit? Let's from say a disk crash; no matter how experienced you are, there is always a level of complexity and unknown. You will have to consider diagnostics, replacement parts, reinstalling windows, getting things back to exactly where things were (your clients will expect that), then there are the aftercare calls etc etc. Then there's your travelling, admin and marketing time..

It's very difficult to charge your home-based clients time and materials and people generally want to know how much they are spending before committing. Bear in mind too, earnings will attract tax.. it just becomes less and less viable to earn a living from.

It can work alongside another business but not as the main source (IMHO). For example, my local TV and Hifi shop offer fixed price PC repairs, they already have the facilities and the time.

Soldato
I stopped doing it years ago. Two incidents put a nail into it for me. I had stopped charging for it, did it for fun, and maybe a bottle of wine.

Wealthy friend came to me with a dying hard drive. Got the data off, replaced the HD, got the machine back up and running well.
He replaced it with a new laptop the following Laptop, so a complete waste of time.

Second one was an unemployed bloke through a friend of a friend. Backlight gone in a older half decent laptop. Fault was one either two things
Replaced one part didn't fix it, the other part was 20 quid and he wouldn't pay it. Went out and brought a brand new Apple laptop.

My issue with it, is they how they penny pinch then waste your time, then blow a ton of money without any thought or advice.
Ultimately they don't value the IT tech time. Which is why this business has such a hard time charging for labour.

But its the same with any job that people like doing. People will do it for low wages because they enjoy doing it.
But it devalues the work.

Soldato
Yeah hardware replacement was pretty straightforward you know how long
It's going to take roughly
But software /OS issues you had no idea how long it was going to take
And of course with so many people not
Backing up important stuff you couldn't
Just say look it would be cheaper and faster to reinstall everything
Problem is most people can understand
When they see you doing something physical how long it takes
But software is a different matter they think it's a few point and clicks and voilà
It's magically sorted

Soldato
When I started out I was in inundated with work with home users for several years. As you say equipment is cheap. many people using iPads and phones instead of the ugly beige box in the corner.

This is the problem really. Laptops are difficult to repair compared to desktop systems. Plus most folk often only spend around £300 on a PC world special laptop so it's not really worth repairing once it's a few years old. As above most people I know now don't even have a laptop at home and have generally switched to phones or tablets.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but I've always found folk seem reluctant to pay for any kind of IT support or advice as home users. Businesses who are losing money or trade as a result of downtime then yes but at home most people are just surfing social media or playing games so don't place value on their lost time or your knowledge and experience.

But its the same with any job that people like doing. People will do it for low wages because they enjoy doing it.
But it devalues the work.

That's the other weird thing I've found when I help out someone. They seem to think that I'm helping them for 'fun' rather than it being my business/profession which puts food on the table and a roof over my head!

That's why I stopped doing it as often the favour was never returned. You'd never catch other trades people providing their time and knowledge for nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The other issue, especially if they don't have backups and often they are running a business or have important personal photos (baby photos) or documents, etc. That its actually high risk, high value content. I'm been involved in some large migration projects, and one in about 20-30 machines would have some weird glitch.

The other issue you will run into with old Machines is Windows 10 not having drivers for older hardware. On my personal machines I had a one laptop where there are no Win10 Drivers for the GFX card in it. None. Another one the last Win10 update is incompatible with the power saving. It doesn't have an intel cpu. It just won't wake from sleep or hibernation. That said these are older machines, well past their best, but these are the machine you come across.

Life's too short. These days if some asks me about a 4yr+ laptop, I just tell them to buy a new one, and don't ask me what one to buy. They will procrastinate for months, then ignore your advice anyway, then come back looking for support. So I don't get involved at all.

Soldato
Even in the small business sector, anyone I worked with, or had their own business supporting, and supplying hardware has stopped.
Margins weren't in it. They are switched to software services.

Hardware is almost disposable unless its higher end.

Back
Top Bottom