Homeplugs

Soldato
Hi all,
bought a Newlink 200mbps starter pack.
When i connect them, the one that connects to my laptop finds the other one connected to the router and reports a speed of 120mbit, which i'm happy with as they never reach full stated speeds. However when i try to connect to the internet it takes longer than a dialup to load the webpage :confused:
So, i checked the router end and it was connected into a 4-gang extension. So, i replug it straight in a wall socket and the speed goes up to 134mbps, which is better, but i still get uber slowness. So slow that the things are unuseable.
If i ping say bbc.co.uk with a -t switch it pings at acceptable timings (10-35) but every few replies it will timeout.

Anyone know what may be causing the 'almost' no connection?
Could it be the ring mains? Even though it reports a decent speed?
Any ideas what i could do to sort this out.
The Linksys WRT54g router is connected to VM 10mbit cable modem, and my laptop does connect fine wirelessly. However i want my gaming rig hardwired or online gaming will fail! :(

Any advice appreciated.

Capodecina
Soldato
There are a variety of opinions here, some say that Homeplugs are great, some say they are awful. There does seem to be a certain amount of agreement in general that they are sensitive to the house wiring and possibly to ELCBs / RCDs.

Why don't you search this sub-forum for 'homeplugs' and see what you get?

For what it is worth, you might want to try working "out" from your router and seeing where the problem crops up - i.e. directly wired - wireless - Homeplugs in a double wallsocket - Homeplugs in the same room - Homeplugs in adjacent rooms, etc.. Eventually you will find for yourself where the problem crops up and then will be better equipped to find a solution . . . if ine exists :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice stock. God these things are a load of old arse!!!
I've put it into a plug socket about 6ft from the router end now, its connects at an even higher 165mbit, yet still dies when trying to open a webpage. It still times out randomly when setting a continuous ping to virgins dns server etc.

So frustrating when these kind of problems arise.
Didn't see there was a sub-forum for homeplugs.
Can a mod kindly move this for me please? :)

Soldato
If they won't work at the distance you're describing they may just be broken.

I've installed Devolo adapters at several locations (including my own home), and they've always worked. The actual connection speeds have varied, but they've been reliable.

I started with Devolo adapters based on the generally positive reviews, and have stuck with them despite the difference in price.

I'd guess that these adapters are based around a limited number of chipsets in the same way wireless adapters are. If this is true then performance between brands should be pretty similar. Maybe some manufacturers skimp on the supporting circuitry?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have 200 ones as well and work perfectly. I use them and wireless together and am able to stream gameplay and play on online with no issues.

Could either be your house wiring or just faulty plugs. If they are new, sent them back and get a replacement. See if that works.

Soldato
Homeplug devices are fine. Problems come from your wiring and how you use them. Theyre definitely more reliable than wireless but obviously not as practical.

Instructions do specify that they should be connected directly to a socket and not to an extension cable.

As for the original poster - have you tried pinging your router from your computer? Does that also have varying ping times and regular packet loss?

Associate
I've had bad experiences with unfamiliar brands of homeplugs and now just stick with devolo ones. I've installed these for 7 different friends/family and also have some myself and have never encountered a single issue

Soldato
I got the Netgear ones because I didn't want to wait for an internet order and thats what was available but I hadnt had any problems!

I have had to plug mine into extension leads at some point due to limited sockets and I have seen the speed reduction from this but it still trumps wireless :)

Can't type for toffee
Don
Mine arrived yesterday, opted for the BT comtrend ones, the new black ones arrived.
Plugged em in side by side.... Connected and secured within 20secs :)

Connected one downstiars and brought the other upstairs beside PC...

Got up this morning, no web pages... Status light gone red, lost synch, rebooted both connected but interemittent status.

now just cant get them to synch at all :(

Shame like as I was getting 3-4x the transfer rate I was getting on wireless

Man of Honour
I can't see it being the wiring as they are connected at 130mb, that's more than fast enough. Something is going on there, but I don't know what.

As others have said, homeplugs are great picked a 200mb set up 2nd hand for ~£35 and haven;t looked back.

Can't type for toffee
Don
set em back up...
Bout an hour and theyve lost synch again >.>

these are meant to be 200mb ones too, problem being they aint stayed connected for even 24 hours yet.

Think I'll give it the weekend then they go back if needed. :(

Associate
I had a set of Belkin homeplugs I bought to stream HD to a media player that did exactly what your saying.

Returned them to the shop and got a Devolo kit instead worked straight away and has ever since.

From some reviews I read at the time it seems some homeplug chipsets are more susceptible to noise than others.

Associate
Yeah, i had a pack of the Belkin gigabit "things" and they were awful, start off a gigabit speeds for a few moments and then well it they went so slow they timed out - returned them and that was that.

Tried some devolo ones and they worked super - obviously not the so called "gigabit" models but more than happy with them :)

Associate
probably a faulty adapter but
you could check both the firmwares are the same and check the ethernet patch cables supplied, i have had bad cables in the past

only occasion I had noise in my mains sufficent to put the homeplugs into a tizzy was when due to a flurescent lights power supply very close to the plug and cables. Checking what might be plugged in nearby might help

Back
Top Bottom