Honest burgers or 5 guys

Soldato
Out of the ones suggested so far I actually prefer BrewDog burgers, but, I used to like some of the burgers at GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen) too. I prefer burgers that aren’t just ‘plain’ burgers though. BrewDog have black pudding in one of theirs for example.

Soldato
which of the burger places have the hygiene flow to provide, non-crucified burgers .. that would be one of my criteria.

otherwise ... I might well choose a nice fish and chips place, if visiting from abroad;

Caporegime
Re GBK. I used to think so before i went, but I think GBK tries too hard to make it nice looking but it's average at best in taste There is one downstairs from my old workplace, in 5 years I think we went there once. There was another burger place in Brindleyplace that we went to far far more, even then, i look back at the photos...i have had far better burgers elsewhere.

7 Bones is still my favourite in the UK. It breaks my thin patty rule but their patty is more like loose mince and it just falls apart. They started out just in Southampton about 5+ years ago, when I went it was only just 1. Now they are a small chain.

Beefy boys in my town is good, even award-winning in the States when they went over for some burger contest but I still like 7 Bones better.

https://www.instagram.com/7boneburgerco/

Last edited:
Soldato
Honest Burger for sure. I do love FGs but the quality/choice of the ingredients at HB is a step-up for sure. I just had their Thai Fried Chicken special last night, it was awesome; https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ-xYimtNke/ (sorry it was the last day hence a Mon night takeaway :D)

If you want cheap and cheerful 'generic' burger that does it very well, that's Five Guys. If you want a burger that's worth £10+ and a bit more 'gourmet' then it's Honest Burger.

Mind you, if I was in London there's a million other places I'd go. They're both chains and found all over the UK, so not exactly special :confused:

Out of the ones suggested so far I actually prefer BrewDog burgers
We've just had a BD open up here, might have to give it a whirl. I'd been assuming their food wasn't up to much considering they're a "bar". Although having said that, I'm sure I've eaten in ones in town before.

I much prefer a thinner patty than a thick one.
For sure. When making burgers at home it's always a double smash burger with cheese.

Soldato
We have a 5 Guys in Reading, but it's always been pretty ****.
It's one step up from McDonalds and nice enough if you're not paying, but the prices and very limited choice would actually just push me toward Burger King.
7Bone is another we have here and it was good... but it went downhill a bit in the year before lockdown and doesn't seem to have picked up.

Honestly, I'd just find a German Doner place, these days.

Caporegime
5 guys and shake shack always seem to get raves about online but when I went there the burgers were thin small and pretty generic.

Although I have since learned that there’s more strict requirements for a restaurant to serve medium rare/pink burger meat so most have just stopped entirely now.

Am I alone i thinking the center of a good burger should just be warm to slightly cool not dryly cooked through?

Permabanned
Five Guys for me. They're not quite as good as they where and I think on the whole they're a little overrated, but they're consistent and I prefer a thin patty as well as the massive choice of toppings! The Hot Dogs are amazing also.

I just can't do the big, thick patties anymore. Even if the quality of the beef is good, that's ALL you're likely to taste. If I want big beef taste I'll order a steak.

Soldato
Am I alone i thinking the center of a good burger should just be warm to slightly cool not dryly cooked through?
No, you're not, and there's a Cote Brasserie here that does steak haché à cheval like that. It's pretty darn good.

However, I prefer my burgers cooked all the way through, but still juicy. Unfortunately finding somewhere that can do this is like finding a place that does Well Done steak properly, rather than just cremating it and getting all uppity about how they think a steak should be done.

Even if the quality of the beef is good, that's ALL you're likely to taste. If I want big beef taste I'll order a steak.
So if you want strong bacon flavour, you'd order a pork chop?
Burger and steak are different things with different flavours, surely?

Back
Top Bottom