Horizon: Forbidden West

Man of Honour
After 80hrs, and being at Lv50 I did KAPPA last night. End boss encounter was slightly terrifying :o

I've been holding off doing the GEMINI main quest line for a while so I think I'll have to get that done today to push on with the game, which stands at 65% completion so far. Still hugely enjoying it but I don't like the grind for legendary armour/weapons.

The grind becomes pretty easy by the end of the game and you’ll have collected a good chunk of what’s needed already, but other than looking forward to DLC upgrading them at that stage seems rather pointless.

Soldato
The grind becomes pretty easy by the end of the game and you’ll have collected a good chunk of what’s needed already, but other than looking forward to DLC upgrading them at that stage seems rather pointless.

I find this a bit bizarre too really, why keep all the good stuff until the very end when a lot of people probably won't experience it.

Soldato
I thought the same, particularly with the Sunwing. From a story narrative i understand but you literally get it on the last story mission, if you are not into doing every single side mission, exploring the map etc(Not me i am at 98% but cant do the flipping final melee pit arrrrrrrgh!!!) its a waste being that late in the game.

Soldato
Maybe I'm burnt out on Horizon but not feeling the same drive to play FW as I did ZD.

Yes graphically it's an improvement and the haptics are nice but not feeling the story yet, and the systems feel overly bloated.

I did find the start of HZD quite a slog too in fairness so hoping once I get a bit further in it will click.

Soldato
With 100hrs played at Lv50 I completed it yesterday. Not sure what to think of the final segments - there were good and slow portions. It did feel a bit fast paced to me. What annoys is I can't seem to revisit that area though I've read on reddit of folks being able to.

Overall FW has ruined open world adventure games for me to a large extent. It improved on HZD a great deal, but with some quirks along the way (grindy armour/weapons systems). The cauldrons were superb in this and not overwhelmingly confusing as they were in HZD. As ever the lore was as stellar and this is what has always kept me hooked into the series.

I keep loading the game up looking for things to do, but the Arena and Melee pits, which I haven't really put much work into look incredibly dull.

Soldato
With 100hrs played at Lv50 I completed it yesterday. Not sure what to think of the final segments - there were good and slow portions. It did feel a bit fast paced to me. What annoys is I can't seem to revisit that area though I've read on reddit of folks being able to.

Overall FW has ruined open world adventure games for me to a large extent. It improved on HZD a great deal, but with some quirks along the way (grindy armour/weapons systems). The cauldrons were superb in this and not overwhelmingly confusing as they were in HZD. As ever the lore was as stellar and this is what has always kept me hooked into the series.

I keep loading the game up looking for things to do, but the Arena and Melee pits, which I haven't really put much work into look incredibly dull.

The Arena is pretty fun and a couple of the challenges are pretty tough.. The Melee pits are not fun at all.. Its fine for the first few but i just cant do the final one.. :(

Associate
Anybody else hate the pop in/load in of the horizon/vista when you’re up high eg-up a mountain etc. I find it really immersion breaking tbh. It’s not huge but don’t remember it in HZD. It’s like the vista don't quite load quick enough for the camera pan. Though it’s not terrible it’s still dissapointing.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure why but I'm finding it extremely difficult compared to the first one, even on normal mode. Maybe my age is getting to me.

Soldato
I'm not sure why but I'm finding it extremely difficult compared to the first one, even on normal mode. Maybe my age is getting to me.
If you're at the start bits then yes your observation is a common one. The starting gear/experience is quite poor until much later on and then it starts to feel like HZD again. Aloy still falls over at every opportunity sadly.

Man of Honour
If you're at the start bits then yes your observation is a common one. The starting gear/experience is quite poor until much later on and then it starts to feel like HZD again. Aloy still falls over at every opportunity sadly.
I’m level 33 I think now. But yeah falling over is one of the more frustrating things. I can barely do any of the arenas and if there’s more than one enemy I just end up in a cycle of being knocked over, get up, try and heal, get knocked over, until either I run out of health items or I kill the enemy.

Soldato
I’m level 33 I think now. But yeah falling over is one of the more frustrating things. I can barely do any of the arenas and if there’s more than one enemy I just end up in a cycle of being knocked over, get up, try and heal, get knocked over, until either I run out of health items or I kill the enemy.
They should have kept the ‘long roll’ manoeuvre from the first one as that enabled you to actually avoid things effectively.
I ended up going to custom difficulty and turning down some parts as I just found it tedious by the end.

Soldato

I think in general it’s a bit harder because they have honed the combat to be more challenging.

As an example, nearly every bandit camp you come to after early game has enemies that cannot be one shotted to the head with a precision bow and if you are using a hunter bow you can hit them repeatedly in the head once you have destroyed their armour and just get ‘weak spot’ notifications which is a bit silly. Enemies also seem to be able to one shot you really easily.

Powerful arrows use a lot more resources to craft and you get fewer of them as standard. Then to do any real damage you need advanced ammo which again costs a ton of resources.

Upgrading ammo pouches is a real chore because there’s now half a million different creatures you need to farm to do any real upgrades. Even after fully upgrading the various skill trees, crafting arrows still takes far too many resources in my view. Some of the advanced stuff takes like 4 different resources to craft and they also share resources with other weapons and ammo. Machine flesh being a massive one for me.

I’m pushing through this but I’m not really enjoying the combat at all. It’s far too tedious. There’s definitely a ton of RNG shenanigans too particularly using sharpshot bow and concentration. Seems clear to me that enemy movements in many instances are tracking what I’m doing and moving at the last instant before I fire. With humans it’s annoying dodge rolling just as I line up the headshot. Feels very obvious to me, kind of like bow combat in Elden Ring.

Overall my motivation and interest in this instalment is reduced. But maybe I’m just suffering a bit of “open world” game burnout after ~170hrs on Elden Ring. I’m not sure but I do know HFW is feeling like a real chore to play.

Back
Top Bottom