hosting regular games nights - how to find people?

i've always been a fan of table top games. any game with a good group of friends is just so much fun, however i've always wanted to get into games like D&D but i don't have the right group of friends who want to do this.

I went to a store over the weekend and there were tones of geeky games that i'd like to give and go and figured than dream about it i'll try and make it happen.

i have an office with loads of space that would be perfect for an event like this. i'm thinking to try host something say the last thursday of each month.

what i'm wondering though is how i should go about finding people? i'm considering posting something on gumtree, but not sure if that's the sort of place people would look. maybe create a facebook group, but again triyng to find locals that are interested i've no idea how through facebook.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Perhaps some on here might be interested in joining? The office is in Woking just outside of the centre.

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of game store also host youth and adult groups for playing in the evening or weekends - or will have contacts for groups.

For example, the store in Aldershot had 3 floors for card games, boardgames and warhammer sessions.

Soldato
as said befor BGG is likely your best bet but there's also Facebook where UK wide groups are available but also smaller local groups, just have a search.

do you have a local board game café as they might also host a games night where you could drop in on a table.

its quite a welcoming community and as with everything you will get the odd **** but a lot of places will do there best to get you involved.

as a final alternative you could always try solo board games to give you a taste of gaming, I wouldn't recommend it for your first solo game (in fact id say avoid it for a while as its very heavy) but Mage Knight is amazing solo experience, games like Pandemic are also playable solo should you wish too (pretty much any co-op game its possible)

If you want something with a D&D style game look into Descent 2.0 as it has an app that plays as overlord (think dungeon master) and can be played with 1+ players. Mansions of madness is also played with an app but its a bit more cash upfront, actual D&D board games are also playable solo and I think they are great entry games but if you can get your head around descent its a much better game.

Back
Top Bottom