Hot Air Ballooning: Anyone done it?

Soldato
Considering getting my wife a voucher for her and I to go up in a hot air balloon as an anniversary gift.

I've had a look around and there are plenty of companies who do it, but wanted to get some opinions from people who have done it. Is there a specific part of the country that is better than another? Thinking about getting a flight during the Bristol Balloon Fiesta next year.

It's a lot of money, so want to ensure I spend it right!

Soldato
Did a ride in the lake district, stunning views, could even see Blackpool tower from where we were which was pooley bridge, do not have a few pints before hand like i did, was busting the toilet :D, you even get to put the balloon away in it's bag once you land.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Did a ride in Florida a few years ago. Was fantastic, really enjoyed it and the landing was quite nice. Very early start though!

Associate
yeah , gotta say i was very disappointed , took off from a field in Bakewell , landed in the same field in Bakewell !!!

Soldato
Did one with virgin near Rugby, the balloon ride itself was great but it did take about 4 attempts to find a day everyone could do that then wasn't cancelled due to weather.

Incredibly serene though, well worth doing on a nice sunny afternoon.

Soldato
Yes I've flown from Ashton Court but not during the Balloon Fiesta. Depending on the wind direction you may go over Bristol or head out into the countryside. Flights are weather dependent (so may be cancelled) and usually early morning or sometimes in the evening. Assuming you do get airborne the actual flight is surprisingly tranquil. Landing can be a tad more interesting :D

Soldato
Did think about it last night when this came over but don't like heights

413470320.jpg

Associate
At the last place I worked at we did various "team building" activities throughout various times of the year, one in particular they do every year is hot air ballooning. However when I was there we never got around to it in the end during the time of the year as apparently during every standby attempt the weather was too cloudy / windy ?? By standby I mean that on the day we are booked in for it, we are all on standby to hear if it is to definitely go ahead and they advise us either the night before / very early the next morning...

Though I'm not sure if in reality it was a bit of a cop out on their part, as conveniently the manager was always busy on last minute meetings and the weather was never that bad on the day as the morning went on. Perhaps someone could back up the above theory?

Liam.

Soldato
Did it a few years ago.

A friend of Mrs Cheesyboy worked for an air balloon company. The pilot (are they called pilots?) needed to go out on a practice for his first run of the season before going for his annual licence thing. He needed ballast, so we went along, for free, as ballast :D

Took off in Bath, flew a bit (half hour, maybe an hour), landed in a farmer's field.

To be honest, I found it pretty boring. Wouldn't pay to do it again.

Soldato
Did one in bath, loved it! It's strangely silent up there as you move at the same speed as the wind.
Did ours in Bath, too.
Horrid early morning, slow going, lovely views, slow landing, over and done with. Wasn't cheap, either.
Do it once in life, I'd say.... no more, unless you really enjoy it and want a new hobby.

It was also chillier than most people expected and the looks I got when rocking up in a thick WW2 overcoat and hat... compared to those I got when snuggled up nice and warm at however-many-feet up we were!!

Soldato
Did a hot air balloon ride with Virgin a few years ago starting from Guildford in Surrey. We had the early morning trip so took off around 6:30am. Stunning views across the Surrey hills, we had a lovely time. Even putting the balloon away at the end of the trip was good fun.

Soldato
Did think about it last night when this came over but don't like heights

On our trip there was a woman with her husband who had tried to do this 6 times. This was here 7th attempt she was afraid of heights. 30 seconds into the briefing this woman was in tears shaking like a leaf and had to walk away. She was shouting and in a right mess. We thought no way was she going up. Yet she got in and went up. Her eyes were closed and she was shaking but once we got up high she was so relieved and rang all her relatives and did a video chat to show she had done it. At the end she told us she was glad she did it, not sure whether she had conquered her fears but was glad she did it.

Bought a Virgin voucher for my wife. Took 4 attempts to do it. We did it last month when it was hot. I was expecting it to to be cold when we got up there but it was just as hot as on the ground. Here is a brief description of what happened.
We did it at Tissington near Bakewell and the take off time was due to be 7.30pm. One important thing. A lot of these take off zones are in a farmers field with NO toilets nearby. Make sure your tank is empty.
Walked out of Tissington village upto a field. Told to be there at 7pm. Few people there no sign of a balloon. Then a landrover turns up towing a basket and a big bag. Turns out this was not Virgin but another company. Fifteen minutes later Virgin balloon turns up in a massive basket on a trailer. Have an initial briefing describing whats going to happen. This is not an event where you turn up, get in balloon and go its more of an experience ! Pilot lets couple of small balloons off to check wind direction. Pilot tells us its touch and go whether we can go up even though its a brilliant sunny evening with no clouds in the sky.

The other balloon got up pretty quick and was off. Ours was still not inflated. Two of our fellow participants help to get the balloon inflated with these massive fans meanwhile the pilot and "crew" go inside the balloon trying to get it inflated. We are then told in two groups to stand either side of the basket and be ready for the shout. Pilot then shouts get in basket and we run full pelt and clamber into the basket. This is because we are basically the ballast to stop it drifting, going up. The balloon is actually anchored to the trailer and this still on the jeep. We then have to sit down and hold on tight, it takes several attempts to get up and a couple of times we are at a 45 degree angle to the floor. Bit scary but fun. Then we are off and get up good and high. We went roughly North East. This was at 8.40pm. Its very warm, and silent. Tip - wear a cap as if you are not stood under the heat shield you can get a bit burnt or at least feel the heat. I was just wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a cap and I was very warm. Also take a bottle of water. As you drift along you can actually hear people, dogs, birds on the ground. People look up and shout and you can hear them shout hello. Its a wonderful weird experience. I thought we had been up there for 90 minutes but I was a bit surprised when my wife said it had been 50 minutes. Next we were told to sit down and hold on and we landed in a farmers field which appeared to be in the middle of nowhere. We then got out and looked a bit puzzled. The pilot rang the crewman and told him where we were. I used the satnav on my phone and it said we had gone 9 miles from the take off. Then to our surprise the pilot says right we need to pack the balloon away, and he looked at us. Yes you have to deflate the balloon and once its down you have to dive on it to get the air out. Now as it turned out this was quite fun if tiring. Unfortunately my wife was laughing so much at me taking part in this she forgot to take pictures. Apparently I had the best technique for jumping on the balloon the problem was the floor was so uneven I kept getting swallowed up in the middle of this balloon. Eventually we got this balloon back in a bag that looks 100 times smaller when the balloon is inflated. The crewman eventually turned up then we all had to help to get the balloon on the trailer. The pilot then joked to us goodbye we are going. There was only room for 4 in the jeep. So we all had to climb back in the basket which was tied to the trailer whilst he drove us back to the main road. Well it was scary, one bit I thought we were going to tip up. Then just was we were going into the farmyard the jeep got stuck. Several back and forth attempts and we were out. Back at the main road was a minibus to take us back to Tissington. Well my satnav said we should be back in 25 minutes. It took nearly an hour and this guy thought he was driving an F1 car on country roads. We eventually got back to the cars at Tissington and it was 11pm. The minibus driver took the long way round just so the pilot and the jeep etc could get back first. He then gave us the complimentary champagne (yuck) and tried to sell us a USB stick of the photo's he took (which were pretty good) at £25. He then gave everyone a certificate and forgot about me. I couldn't be bothered by that time I was knackered. So we got in the car and drove back home.

Yes it was expensive for what we got.
Yes we enyoyed it and worth the experience.
Yes it was a PITB to get booked.
Yes we were totally knackered at the end.
No I wouldnt go with Virgin again if I did it.

2dryk3c.jpg
2h8d7pl.jpg

2i7ptea.jpg
123s55z.jpg

4lr4ms.jpg
1qg30n.jpg

25hi9tu.jpg
az6sup.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom