Hot Hatch Owners

Caporegime
m135i here. 3 year old, had it from new but will be replacing later this year.

Enjoyed owning it, great car in theory but literally the only place you can floor it for any period longer than about 4 seconds is a motorway sliproad. The value is outstanding for something that would keep up with a late 90s Ferrari, but given the proliferation of speed cameras and traffic i'm just left thinking hot hatches have gone too far. Sometimes its nice just to thrash my girlfriends fiesta and not be in prison sentence speeds in no time.

Maybe I got old :(

Ha, I know the feeling, any more than a few seconds on the pedal you are approaching speed that will lose your licence.

The best thing about it is that I can overtake so much easier though, I am done with the manoeuvre much faster.

Soldato
One of the reasons I want a map is to make it a little more vicious. The current acceleration is very linear and smooth, I can easily hit 3 figures daily without realising.

Don't fancy setting the speed alarm either :D

Soldato
I think around the 200bhp mark is a nice amount of power for a hot hatch personally, any more and it just feels a bit pointless on the road so it's nice that VW still tend to that market with the regular GTi as it's not too compromised to outright speed.

Even the lowest power GTI is 245ps these days.

Soldato
if you're talking new motors, the mk5 is still very popular and pushed 200bhp in standard form and 240bhp in special edition form.
Yes, I was referring to new, where the 230PS engine has just been dropped in line with introduction of WLTP. Now VW only really cater to the '200PS hot hatch Market' with the Polo GTI.

Soldato
Congrats! Now it's the horrible waiting game. Had all the paperwork via email for mine, now just need to arrange collection date :D. Did you go for a new one?
Thanks ! Congrats on yours too ! This is gonna be such a long wait haha. Collection date ? Go pick it up today ! I’m already Organising some track days as we speak :D yep. Went for a new one. The slate grey you went for, is it solid or metallic ?

Soldato
I have the veloster (186 -> 216 crank remap) and had a stiffener added to the rear torsion beam and a re-enforced fuel line.

Looking to later in the year do the full bolt on kit for it and get it up to 235 ish.

Associate
Yeah sounds like your GTI is probably mapped, the 330d is no slouch. I would go for the upgrade option over the s3.

I loved the engine in the m140i I drove but I also got the feeling that I would lose my licence in it fairly quickly. Or bin it into a ditch if not fully on the ball :D

Ironically the only speeding ticket I've ever had was in the 1.0 3 cylinder Fiesta :D

Associate
I have gen 2 Mazda 3 MPS currently in need of clutch&flywheel replacement soon but current mods:
Stock 260bhp, currently pushing 280-290bhp with e-tune
Cobb Accessport v3
Custom OTS E-tune by Freektune
Cobb panel filter
Autotech High pressure fuel pump internal
GFB Recirculation valve
Cobb Turbo inlet pipe
Hardrace top engine mount
Corksport rear engine mount
Short shift plate
Resonator delete

Associate
Have to say the biggest disappointment for me was the Type R. Not the fact I would have to live with how it looks, but just didn't like how it drove. It was a cold damp day and it just could not get the power down (doubt the tyres helped), the infotainment system sucked and the backs of the seats were too upright. Would make a great track car but I'm not convinced on living with it all the time. Oh almost forgot the exhaust was very underwhelming :(. Was a shame, as it's a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Very suprised. ^

I bought a 2018 FK8 type R in September and love it (picture of it in show your motors thread). The i30n was my next choice if I didn’t get the civic. The infotainment isn’t the best but it’s nowhere near as bad as some people make out. The seats are superb. The exhaust isn’t super loud and obnoxious as you’d expect t but it does have a good sound nonetheless. In the wet it does struggle to get power down in 1st, 2nd and third... the only real negative though is the gear box - it’s very notchy and there are reported crunching problems with it (I’ve also experienced a couple of times).

All in all the car is phenomenal. Insanely quick for the price. Extremely comfortable as a daily. Huge boot and spacious seating. Fantastic handling... and personally I think it looks fantastic. Obviously more sensible / subtle tastes would disagree.

Soldato
I had a Peugeot 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport for a year in textured matt grey (long story short, never again) and now got the "normal" GTi Prestige (in rioja red). I'm in agreement with @sovietspybob , very rarely do I hit the foot through the floor with 205hp on roads round here.

Keeping a close eye on what the next 208 GTi (or eGTi) is going to be come 2020...

Back
Top Bottom