Hot Water Bottle burst over me :(

Caporegime
I must be having the worst luck with water lately, from cracked liquid cooling spilling liquid everywhere to this... Last night my hitius hernia was playing up so I got a hot water bottle ready, one of those ones that is covered in fabric so it's apparently "safe".

However upon putting any type of pressure on it, when leaning over to turn the lamp off, the worst happened. The hot water bottle, that was not full but did have boiling water, burst all down the corner of my chest and down my arm. Luckily I had a tshirt on, so only a red chest but my arm took the brunt.

I'm very strong with pain and have been through rough patches but this was beyond pain, I had burned the entire top layer of skin off and down to the nerves. Swearing in pain and shaking in shock I had to have it under a constant cold tap. The ambulance did come out as it was pretty bad, but there wasn't much they could do other than pain meds but they did say I Was lucky it hadn't burnt down to the core.

Spent all night with arm in cold water bucket, and today it's airing, but I can't move my arm very well, thus typing with left hand.

The split
zmcew7.jpg

2qdo60k.jpg

After getting this burn, in comparison to what people have gone through with such things as all over body burns, they have my heart felt sympathy :(

Caporegime
Ouch :eek: My sympathis

Incidentally, I don't think you're supposed to put boiling water in a hot water bottle. I don't use a hot water bottle often, but when I do I put a bit of cold tap water in before filling from the kettle.

Caporegime
OP
Wrap it in cellophane. I think this does something for burns. Looks nasty.

Tried that, I was almost screaming because it was laying on split nerves. Cellophane is good for when the nerves have been burned away completely, but in this instance cold water was the treatment.

Jeez....how old is the water bottle?! If it's not that old I'd be getting in touch with the manufacturer...

I'm unsure, it was my girlfriends

Only reason I'm on ocuk now is because of the codeine and fan blowing cool air on the wound

Ouch :eek: My sympathis

Incidentally, I don't think you're supposed to put boiling water in a hot water bottle. I don't use a hot water bottle often, but when I do I put a bit of cold tap water in before filling from the kettle.

Usually I don't, but this water bottle has a double layer of fabric over to stop this from happening. But the water was blasted out the top at full force :(

Soldato
About the time of year the girlfriend starts using them in bed too :(

There is something that can be said here but i dont want to rush into it and waste this golden opportunity.

I'm calling first dibs on this one and will get back to the thread once i have come up with something that does it justice.

Soldato
Ouch.

You shouldn't use boiling water when filling a hot water bottle, for exactly this reason.

Do you only fill 2/3 with water and squeeze the air out before putting the cap on too? If you don't the air expands giving the insides positive pressure.

Back
Top Bottom