US: House of Cards

Soldato

Saw the first episode and it seemed to be pretty good. The style of the show makes it a departure from the norm. Spacey wasn't amazing but he was solid, I recommend you check it out if you can.

NZB

NZB

Associate
Been keeping my eye on this one too, it looks like it could be alright. I think all the episodes aired back to back the other night.

Soldato
OP
Been keeping my eye on this one too, it looks like it could be alright. I think all the episodes aired back to back the other night.

It's only available on Netflix US, all the episodes were released at once for subscribers.

One

One

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the original one, obviously it will be a bit different due to it being the other side of the pond and a different era and style of politics but I assume the general plot will be the same. I didn't realise it was already out, I'll have to fit that into my busy schedule at some point.

Soldato
OP
Done it, blasted through all 13 episodes. Fantastic stuff, very entertaining, looking forward to where they take this in S02. Underwood is a great character that just keeps developing.

However, like much of the discussion on the internet, I'm torn by the distribution method from Netflix. Sure, it's fantastic I don't have to wait a week between episodes. But binging on it in a week like I did, it feels like I missed out some factor of amplified entertainment. I don't think it is the perfect solution to be honest, especially from the 'social' angle, it's near impossible/'dangerous' to discuss the show because everyone is on a different episode.

Finally, Stamper is damn faithful ain't he?

Soldato
However, like much of the discussion on the internet, I'm torn by the distribution method from Netflix. Sure, it's fantastic I don't have to wait a week between episodes. But binging on it in a week like I did, it feels like I missed out some factor of amplified entertainment. I don't think it is the perfect solution to be honest, especially from the 'social' angle, it's near impossible/'dangerous' to discuss the show because everyone is on a different episode.

I think its a bad move on netflix's part, the whole idea is surely to produce a program people will want to see (which they have) to encourage them to sign up to Netflix to watch it. By releasing the whole thing at once people could subscribe for 1 month, watch the whole series and cancel their subscription rather than pay for 3 months worth if it was released weekly.

Also releasing it weekly keeps people interested, less time to wait technically for the new series to air. People who watched it all in one fell swoop will most likely have forgotten it exists or at the very least forgotten the vast majority of the plot by the time the next season is available.

I would prefer it if the released it weekly, and because its not on network tv there doesn't have to be annoying mid season breaks etc. I genuinely think this the future of tv, they just need to properly implement it.

Soldato
I think its a bad move on netflix's part, the whole idea is surely to produce a program people will want to see (which they have) to encourage them to sign up to Netflix to watch it. By releasing the whole thing at once people could subscribe for 1 month, watch the whole series and cancel their subscription rather than pay for 3 months worth if it was released weekly.

Also releasing it weekly keeps people interested, less time to wait technically for the new series to air. People who watched it all in one fell swoop will most likely have forgotten it exists or at the very least forgotten the vast majority of the plot by the time the next season is available.

I would prefer it if the released it weekly, and because its not on network tv there doesn't have to be annoying mid season breaks etc. I genuinely think this the future of tv, they just need to properly implement it.

I completely agree with this. I think Netflix have really missed a trick not going with a weekly release if only due to marketing. A weekly release would keep the interest and buzz about the series up rather than the sudden surge and death it's going to have.

Also, can anyone to explain why leaking the education bill in the first episode helped Spacey? Was it just a revenge move?

Soldato
Also, can anyone to explain why leaking the education bill in the first episode helped Spacey? Was it just a revenge move?

I believe it was because it was a bad early draft made by the guy that Underwood wanted rid of. The reaction from the media pretty much forced him to resign, although i cant remember why exactly Underwood wanted him gone. Might have been something to do with the fact that now that guy is gone Underwood becomes the hero by fixing the bill himself?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I enjoyed it overall but felt that it started wandering a bit about 60% of the way through - the first half was pure Kevin Spacey unleashed but the writing kind of let him down in the 2nd half. It does pickup a bit again towards the end but only by introducing a new angle to the story, I felt (mostly due to the writing) much of the motivation for his actions in the first half faded out around the middle. (It was only really the spiralling chain of consequences that kept it somewhat interesting).

I do hope Netflix continues to produce some series of this quality tho (and hopefully better writers) would certainly make it worth the monthly fee.

Soldato
OP
I believe it was because it was a bad early draft made by the guy that Underwood wanted rid of. The reaction from the media pretty much forced him to resign, although i cant remember why exactly Underwood wanted him gone. Might have been something to do with the fact that now that guy is gone Underwood becomes the hero by fixing the bill himself?

Yes, it made Underwood the hero and gave him bargaining power with the President. Because POTUS figured Underwood was amazing and brilliant for saving the education bill, having that position allowed him to push through his dastardly plot.

Associate
I expected there to be more discussion on this show, so I do apologize for bumping this thread up.

I'm on episode 10/13 and have absolutely loved it so far. There are holes all over the place - most noticeably in the characters and their apparent apathy in everything, but the show has a brilliant grasp of mood and atmosphere... And Spacey does such a fantastic job of portraying raw powerlust.

Really enjoying it, and don't want it to end.

Soldato
I expected there to be more discussion on this show, so I do apologize for bumping this thread up.

I'm on episode 10/13 and have absolutely loved it so far. There are holes all over the place - most noticeably in the characters and their apparent apathy in everything, but the show has a brilliant grasp of mood and atmosphere... And Spacey does such a fantastic job of portraying raw powerlust.

Really enjoying it, and don't want it to end.

It really was a very good series, however it was definitely better for the first half compared to the ending. Cant really remember what happened though... RELEASE IT WEEKLY NETFLIX!

Back
Top Bottom