Houses collapse into road sinkhole in Manchester

Associate
About twenty quids worth of damage lol

Just kidding, I live in Manchester. As if life isn't giving us enough to worry about now, imagine having to find new accomodation during a global pandemic, as your entire bedroom is shown on live tv for the whole world to see. And the cost of repair. Or walking past random houses. Just something else to help with anxiety.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55755159

Soldato
So what happens if you owned one of these, with the house insurance. Now they say its being demolished what pay out do you get?

No idea. They're saying a sewer collapsed causing the sinkhole, so is it United Utilities fault? Is it storm damage? Act of God?

If the house burned down I guess the insurers would repair/rebuild the property, but with a sinkhole I can't see that happening - there's a good chance it'll be unstable ground so they'd refuse to insure you! So it's likely "here's a pile of money" so you can buy a house and possessions to put the policyholder back into a similar position to that before the house fell into the sinkhole.

Soldato
tenor.gif

Soldato
Ye that's more than two houses wrecked there.

You can see the edge of the next house has the brickwork pulled apart on the way.

How much to glue an undermined wall back together vs starting again...

Caporegime
There is on all the ones I've had.
If your insurance expires, how are the bank going to know? The first year I had my house and I changed insurer, I went in to the bank to inform them I had changed (mortgage advisor at the time told me I had to provide proof) and they looked at me weird, they eventually they dug out a number to send a fax on to.

Soldato
Should have house insurance if the owner has a mortgage. Anyone who doesn't is extremely stupid to the value of a rebuild and more!

Can be the case in less affluent areas that home owners don't take out household insurances after they've paid for the property, presumably because their not worth much and they don't think it will ever happen to them. Have seen cases in the past where fires have torn through terraces in the Midlands and several families have been caught out being uninsured.

Soldato
So what happens if you owned one of these, with the house insurance. Now they say its being demolished what pay out do you get?

You'd be bricking it wondering if you answered all the insurance questions correctly. I wonder if they answered, house of red brick construction and didn't divulge that the outside had been rendered. Unfortunately not declared alterations to the property? Previous evidence of subsidence etc?

Back
Top Bottom