Housing crisis solutions

Associate
If you're saving for a mortgage then you ought to be stuck inside staring at the walls. Sacrifices have to be made in order to get your first property. Even with the odd treat you should slowly be building up a deposit with that income.

Soldato
Sadly my life isn't as black and white as putting estimated figures onto a forum mate. Hopefully when I wake up it will he and suddenly a housing crisis will mean nothing to me and I should just go about my way whistling Dixie.

Moaning about it and then going to bed hoping that things will be better when you wake up isn't going to change anything other than your own resentment though. If you're not willing to consider making your own changes to try and change your own situation it really isn't clear how you're going to propose changing the nation's to suit you at the expense of others.

Soldato
OP
If you're saving for a mortgage then you ought to be stuck inside staring at the walls. Sacrifices have to be made in order to get your first property. Even with the odd treat you should slowly be building up a deposit with that income.

That's hardly a recently discovered revelation that the sacrifice now is overly excessive due to a real life problem cause by other people. Not because I am making it one by eating Domino's.. (which I'm not) Im pretty insulted that people feel the need to belittle trying as I am when the target is being ever increasingly further away out of greed by the same people (maybe) who are berating me.
Given that I watch the older generation achieve the same lofty heights with a lot less hassle. When did it become customary to bend over and get shafted, then say sorry?

Man of Honour
Gfy frankly I am saving what I can but I am not feeling entitled by living of 50quid or less a week. I am doing what u can but the prices of house has risen to steadily for too long. Why should my generation take the brunt of that and hold a stuff upper lip. It's not entitlment if your being shafted.
It's not a sacrifice in lifestyle it's a sacrifice in life. I literally can't do anything at all.

Who is ' shafting you' ?
Why do you keep bringing up ' generation / age ' ?
Do you not think that people owned mutliple properties before 2000 ?

You seem to think that houses were 2 a penny and handed out before you.

If you can't grasp the commitment you make when owning a property, then perhaps you are not ready ?

Thinking that leaving £50 a week in your wallet to live on, is not a good way to start.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly. It's a little under 500 each after student loans and debts and we do save what we can but that my point, taking into account actually doing anything other than sitting and staring at walls means that 200 quid can disappear very quickly over a month. God forbid it's a friend's birthday or a relatives/Christmas or you have an MOT or car fault, forget using your time off to go on even a UK break as that means you can't save.
I am trying and am doing but should buying a house be that hard because my parents generation want to get richer off my back?
I'm sorry if people think that I'm entitled, but it's a serious struggle and life should not feel like it's completely pointless.

Yes you are very much coming across as entitled, and yes it's a serious struggle, but only for a few years until you've saved that deposit

You need to figure out what your priorities are - live for today and carry on moaning you can't afford a house, or make sacrifices for a short period and then sit back and reap the rewards. Like basically every other person in the UK who's bought a house on an average wage in the last 10+ years has had to do

Soldato
OP
Yes you are very much coming across as entitled, and yes it's a serious struggle, but only for a few years until you've saved that deposit

You need to figure out what your priorities are - live for today and carry on moaning you can't afford a house, or make sacrifices for a short period and then sit back and reap the rewards. Like basically every other person in the UK who's bought a house on an average wage in the last 10+ years has had to do

Then think what you will, frankly I couldn't give a toss if your that judgemental from a few imaginary numbers on a forum post.

Soldato
Keep an eye out for Repo properties. They can be had cheaper - that's the only reason I have a house! Saved nearly £40k on it....

+ having a major accident gave me enough for a sizeable deposit.... I wouldn't advise that though!

What sort of "accident" do I need? I keep seeing the cleaners hoovering in work and those power cables could easily trip me over. What would that net me?

Soldato
Whilst I'm sympathetic you don't sound particularly badly off if you want to buy a house then you need to move where you can afford.
The British obsessionof house ownership needs to change because it's unsustainable.

Problem is the rental market is just as, if not more unstable. Rent is rising faster than wages. And when people come to retirement age is the poor still renting, who simply won't have a pension good enough to cover it.

I'm 33, on £21k before overtime. My wife doesn't earn much, about £7k since we had our baby (5 months now). Hopefully, with some budgeting and smashing overtime (some weekends I do 23 hours when I can) we can get a deposit and fees saved up in 2 or 3 years.
My brother is 30, on minimum wage. He has no chance. I'm planning on retiring to Portugal, ain't taking him with me!

Man of Honour
- A kick up the backside for the generation that feels entitled to housing without making sacrifices to earn it.

Thing is though there is a vast gulf between what was affordable in the same financial situation today as 30 odd years ago. And those saving for a deposit lately no matter the sacrifices will likely have been almost treading water and/or looking at a significant decline in the quality of house they could afford - beyond anything that is reasonable.

You might ascribe it (and maybe rightfully so) to a rational financial decision but intended or not the effect has been more often than not for people to enrich themselves at the expense of future generations - something is going to have to give eventually in any other commodities market there would have been a reset by now but housing is a bit different as at the end of the day people need a roof over their head.

Soldato
In what way am I being judgemental? If anyhing you're the one coming across as such by your responses. You're acting like it's an impossible situation with no way out, and yet thousands of people in your position have, are, and will continue to manage to buy a house and still live a happy and fulfilling life, because instead of blaming everyone else, they take control of the situation.

I'm simply pointing out that a) it's not as bad as you're making out, yes it's a struggle, but only for a few years until you get a foot on the ladder, and b) that perhaps you could look at your outgoings and see where you could reduce them.

Should it be as hard as it is to get on the ladder? Maybe, maybe not.

Is the situation going to change in the foreseeable future? Unlikely.

Is there anything you can do to improve your own circumstances? Absolutely, but it does take the willpower and attitude to actually want to do it. If you like your holidays and nice car and buying expensive presents for people, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, however don't expect to be able to have all of that and still be able to afford that nice 3 bed suburban semi

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Then think what you will, frankly I couldn't give a toss if your that judgemental from a few imaginary numbers on a forum post.

You've ignored, or chosen to ignore, what the majority of people have said - Its a struggle/ you have to make sacrifices.

And then included ' i couldn't give a toss ', to a reply.

Good advice has been given, but not the advice you wanted to hear.

The more you post, the more you sound like entitled.

Grow up, set goals, make sacrifices.

Soldato
OP
You've ignored, or chosen to ignore, what the majority of people have said - Its a struggle/ you have to make sacrifices.

And then included ' i couldn't give a toss ', to a reply.

Good advice has been given, but not the advice you wanted to hear.

The entitlement is strong in this one.

Grow up, set goals, make sacrifices.

Yet you and other are ignoring that it's a documented fact that the rises in the sacrifice has become way over most actual ability. This is a fact, not me being lazy. What happens next I struggle hard and manage it and the generation below me simple struggle harder etc etc. Your purposely judging me in an environment that is difficult rather than realizing that there is more than myself at the root cause of the problem.

I said I couldn't give a toss because the argument I made was that it shouldn't be this hard, because of a crisis, which you ignored and said instead that it should be this hard and I should try harder. That's not a solution that's a judgement.
I'm almost wondering if your trolling me.

Are you denying that a housing crisis isn't making buying a house harder than previous generations? Dear god

Last edited:
Man of Honour
http://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/house-price-to-earnings-ratio-600x536.png

Says it all really :(

Prices are insane, IMO, especially first time buyer houses, they have spiked in recent years.

I think part of the problem is the uneven rate at which that is having effect across the UK - some are feeling it far far sooner and harder than others - and while in the short term moving around might help some in the long term it isn't a solution or something everyone can do so easily.

Man of Honour
Thing is though there is a vast gulf between what was affordable in the same financial situation today as 30 odd years ago.

Do you actually have anything to back that up ?

As i posted earlier, a mortgage in the late eighties, ate up 2/3rds of my wages before bills. After bills we had food - no luxuries.

I don't see a ' vast ' difference ?

Soldato
OP

As i posted earlier, a mortgage in the late eighties, ate up 2/3rds of my wages before bills. After bills we had food - no luxuries

“The result is that the younger generation is now expected to pay a much bigger multiple of its earnings to buy a home than its parents did,” he says.

“The baby boomers are now making capital gains at the expense of their children. Between 2000 and 2014, average earnings rose by 51%, but average house prices rose by 132%.”

I'm guessing someone on 20k would now be on 30k but their 100k house would now be 232k to buy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

As i posted earlier, a mortgage in the late eighties, ate up 2/3rds of my wages before bills. After bills we had food - no luxuries.

See graph posted above - I'm not saying people necessarily had it easy - but in an otherwise similar financial position to myself at my age my dad had 2-3 houses on the go (transitionally) and could afford to bring up a family of 5 - I would struggle affording one of those houses making far more sacrifices and I have no kids.

Man of Honour
Yet you and other are ignoring that it's a documented fact that the rises in the sacrifice has become way over most actual ability. This is a fact, not me being lazy. What happens next I struggle hard and manage it and the generation below me simple struggle harder etc etc. Your purposely judging me in an environment that is difficult rather than realizing that there is more than myself at the root cause of the problem.

I said I couldn't give a toss because the argument I made was that it shouldn't be this hard, because of a crisis, which you ignored and said instead that it should be this hard and I should try harder. That's not a solution that's a judgement.

Back ' 30 years ago ' , we couldn't just Google for someone who would back up an arguement. You accepted that buying a house was struggle/long term commitment.

Now you can blame everyone, except yourself , with a quick search on ' housing shortages ' to justify it.

How would you propose more affordable housing in the future ?

Back
Top Bottom