How accurate are laptop pre-order ETAs?

Associate
Hi all, I normally buy from OCUK (and have done so for years) but a couple of weeks ago I placed a pre-order at another site (using bitcoin) as OCUK had no preorder or ETA for the particular laptop at the time.

OCUK now has it listed with an ETA of 1st March (whereas the one I pre-ordered elsewhere says due 15th March).

For those who have previously pre-ordered items here, is the ETA listed on OCUK directly related to expected stock levels and queue position or is it hit and miss? I'd hate to cancel my other pre-order and end up waiting longer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi all, I normally buy from OCUK (and have done so for years) but a couple of weeks ago I placed a pre-order at a competitor site (using bitcoin) as OCUK had no preorder or ETA for the particular laptop at the time.

OCUK now has it listed with an ETA of 1st March (whereas the one I pre-ordered elsewhere says due 15th March).

For those who have previously pre-ordered items here, is the ETA listed on OCUK directly related to expected stock levels and queue position or is it hit and miss? I'd hate to cancel my other pre-order and end up waiting longer.

Canceling an order placed using bitcoin could be tricky. I imagine you will either be re imbursed using cash or a much lesser amount of bitcoin in terms of value due to fees and exchanges. It may not even be possible.

To answer your stock question. There has been thousands of complaints about ocuk over the past few months. They are really struggling to get orders and stock.

I'd say it's a lottery and that personally you should be patient.

Otherwise keep your order and place several orders and return or cancel after you receive the first in your hands physically and it's full working.

Associate
OP
Canceling an order placed using bitcoin could be tricky. I imagine you will either be re imbursed using cash or a much lesser amount of bitcoin in terms of value due to fees and exchanges. It may not even be possible.

To answer your stock question. There has been thousands of complaints about ocuk over the past few months. They are really struggling to get orders and stock.

I'd say it's a lottery and that personally you should be patient.

Otherwise keep your order and place several orders and return or cancel after you receive the first in your hands physically and it's full working.

Thanks Sonny. Yes I was told that refunding bitcoin orders is doable (with no fees beyond network fees) but just at the exchange rate applicable at that particular time (which you are correct is worse now as bitcoin has gone up in value further).

I think I'll keep the original pre-order. They are a very reputable site too and I think the 15th March ETA is more realistic. If we were dealing with RTX 3000 GPUs I'd feel there is no hope in even meeting the pre-order as with GPUs, delivery dates feel like a complete lottery. I can understand the difficulty vendors have if they are being drip-fed supplies and supply volumes are totally different to what they expect. They can't plan easily at all. With laptops, especially high end ones, supplies seem a bit more able to meet demand.

Caporegime
Thanks Sonny. Yes I was told that refunding bitcoin orders is doable (with no fees beyond network fees) but just at the exchange rate applicable at that particular time (which you are correct is worse now as bitcoin has gone up in value further).

I think I'll keep the original pre-order. They are a very reputable site too and I think the 15th March ETA is more realistic. If we were dealing with RTX 3000 GPUs I'd feel there is no hope in even meeting the pre-order as with GPUs, delivery dates feel like a complete lottery. I can understand the difficulty vendors have if they are being drip-fed supplies and supply volumes are totally different to what they expect. They can't plan easily at all. With laptops, especially high end ones, supplies seem a bit more able to meet demand.

If your desperate then placing multiple orders is the only thing you can do. Chopping and changing is literally a lottery. Email your current supplier and just ask them to be up front about the stock situation as your desperate for the product.

Associate
OP
If your desperate then placing multiple orders is the only thing you can do. Chopping and changing is literally a lottery. Email your current supplier and just ask them to be up front about the stock situation as your desperate for the product.

Yes I will message them again. They have a good live chat system (during work hours) so it feels like you can get info easily. E.g. they told me an alternative was available the day I enquired (for same day dispatch - even though on their site it said pre-order and an ETA on a future date. It didn't quite have the specs I needed though.

Don't mind putting down multiple pre-orders but having to pay in full for each, it will get expensive having around £11k tied up on 3 pre-orders. If they happen to ship at the same time and there is no time to cancel, there is the hassle of returns/shipping etc - although refund shouldn't be an issue I guess.

Caporegime
Yes I will message them again. They have a good live chat system (during work hours) so it feels like you can get info easily. E.g. they told me an alternative was available the day I enquired (for same day dispatch - even though on their site it said pre-order and an ETA on a future date. It didn't quite have the specs I needed though.

Don't mind putting down multiple pre-orders but having to pay in full for each, it will get expensive having around £11k tied up on 3 pre-orders. If they happen to ship at the same time and there is no time to cancel, there is the hassle of returns/shipping etc - although refund shouldn't be an issue I guess.

Yeah I'm looking at a laptop just now and the exact same situation.

I don't know if I should place a single order. Wait for stock and try and get one before it sells instantly or place multiple orders.

The fact they take money before dispatch is the most annoying as it could be several weeks maybe even months before I see anything.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm looking at a laptop just now and the exact same situation.

I don't know if I should place a single order. Wait for stock and try and get one before it sells instantly or place multiple orders.

The fact they take money before dispatch is the most annoying as it could be several weeks maybe even months before I see anything.

Yea its tricky. Just discovered a third competitor who details exact expected volume of stock for particular laptops on the ETA date. I would bet that if you phone them, they are able to give you a queue number. Might do that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom