• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are AMD & Nvidia such badly run companies?

Caporegime
the big fab units use a lot of robots and very little staff, so not so sure covid has the blame here, where covid does have the blame is millions of folk having to stay at home, they all want something to do, hence the huge increase in pc gaming. plus the usual lot that want anything that is new, shipping delays for sure plays a big part
Shipping on containers, loading, unloading, driving to and from docks and warehouses all takes people. With Covid people were laid off, isolating at home or couldn’t work. Yes the manufacture is mostly automated but the stuff that gets your card from Taiwan or China isn’t automated.

Caporegime
The market is flooded by Ryzen 3000 and Radeon RX 5000 series - the problem is not in the manufacturing capacity since they continue to flood the market with last-year products while completely ignore the demand for the improved today's technology in Ryzen 5000 and Radeon RX 6800!
I suspect that’s because no one is buying due to the performance uplift from the newer stuff. It’s all stock they can’t shift.

Associate
Shipping on containers, loading, unloading, driving to and from docks and warehouses all takes people. With Covid people were laid off, isolating at home or couldn’t work. Yes the manufacture is mostly automated but the stuff that gets your card from Taiwan or China isn’t automated.

It's strange how tech seems more affected than anything else though, wouldn't you say? Everything else seems to be ticking along, and I haven't seen anything else in short supply except for tech. :confused:

Caporegime
Doesn't it boil down to 'because they can'?
Well, wing the only manufacturers of high end graphics cards, yes, but they know the demand is there for them to sell ten times what they can manufacture right now. If they could manufacture the cards, why wouldn’t they?

Caporegime
It's strange how tech seems more affected than anything else though, wouldn't you say? Everything else seems to be ticking along, and I haven't seen anything else in short supply except for tech. :confused:
Luxuries in lockdown situations are always popular. People have said finding guitars or bikes has been difficult recently too. Hornby, makers of Scalextric and Airfix models have said their sales are through the roof. People are looking for things to do at home.

Associate
Luxuries in lockdown situations are always popular. People have said finding guitars or bikes has been difficult recently too. Hornby, makers of Scalextric and Airfix models have said their sales are through the roof. People are looking for things to do at home.

Lucky them I guess, good job some of us are still working as normal. ;)

Associate
Evidently Nvidia and AMD are charities that produce a few thousand cards for youtubers and everyone else can do one.

The first reply is also the best. :D

But (also) seriously, businesses literally exist to take advantage of consumers. It's just that this experience has become more raw and pervasive in the PC building hobby in recent years because it's become too popular.

Associate
The first reply is also the best. :D

But (also) seriously, businesses literally exist to take advantage of consumers. It's just that this experience has become more raw and pervasive in the PC building hobby in recent years because it's become too popular.

It also lacks competition, which is becoming more and more evident with each passing year. Lack of competition is literally the worst thing in a capitalist business model.

Associate

What you mean like how supermarkets never ran out of anything during the lockdown (toilet paper being a case in point).

Also, did anyone try to buy a mountain bike during lockdown? I tried but everywhere was sold out.

Lots of other industries were affected but you have to remember that every step in the manufacturing chain of these GPUs was affected, from the fabs closing down for several weeks to transportation out of China coming to a halt.

All these things have had a knock on effect resulting in the delays we are seeing now. For all we know, the products are there, just not shipped out of China yet.

Hopefully over the next 2-4 weeks we will see stock arrive for us to buy and fap over :rolleyes:

Associate
I wish I could just walk away, I honestly do. But I have too many games on this platform, literally hundreds. :(

I'm not even a big gamer but it really disgusts me to think that if I have to upgrade in another five years 'the' prices might just be fixed around £1000 and that's considered normality.

Soldato
The market is flooded by Ryzen 3000 and Radeon RX 5000 series - the problem is not in the manufacturing capacity since they continue to flood the market with last-year products while completely ignore the demand for the improved today's technology in Ryzen 5000 and Radeon RX 6800!
i did look at 5000 series, but pointless over my nitro, its not a million mies away at 1440p, 20% at most looking at benches, less when OC

Associate
What you mean like how supermarkets never ran out of anything during the lockdown (toilet paper being a case in point).

We ran out because morons were hoarding it. General supply was actually good, they just couldn't get it to the shops fast enough to replace sales. There was no shortage at distribution level.

Soldato
Apple can at least deliver the products they sell to the customers on time. This same Apple can deliver M1 (bottom of the barrel chip), which smoke both Intel's & AMD's...
Intel stuff is crap, but again they usually delivery their products when they go on sale.

Issue with companies like Nvidia & AMD, this keeps on happening over & over again at every launch. Wait for next GPU release, you will see the same **** show.

And I did buy AMD stocks, when it was nearly at $7 back in 2016. Worker out quite well for me, thanks for asking. :)

Only one feeling emotional & unhappy here is you mate. But you're right we should never dare to criticise these companies, they are the best & always deliver. Sorry AMD & Nvidia.

Have read a number of posts now and got to here. You keep saying they both fail constantly but I don't know anyone whom really had any issues for anything right up to the 1000 series GPU.

With that it really has only been this generation that's had such massive issues. Further to that Apple are deffo going through issues too with having many phone on back order now for 5-6 weeks and similar.

Also the M1 isn't smoking the competition. At this point you sound more like a troll or just uninformed and think apple is king.

Soldato
We ran out because morons were hoarding it. General supply was actually good, they just couldn't get it to the shops fast enough to replace sales. There was no shortage at distribution level.
totally agree i work in retail and experienced the same thing, the supermarkets cant prepare for idiots hoarding bog rolls, was like a plague of locusts, our shop was stripped mulitple times, selfishness took over

Back
Top Bottom