How are you guys buying/collecting movies

Associate
Morning,

I would like to move away from DVD/Blu-ray to digital only but can't really find a good strategy to do so. I would rather not be tied to a specific vendor like Amazon or Apple etc.

Are people here still buying discs as it still seems the most consistent way to get movies!

Cheers

Man of Honour
Rent them from iTunes or wherever (for £3.50 usually). I think it’s pretty uneconomic to actually buy them these days and it saves on clutter.

Soldato
I can see why you would not want to be stuck with just one digital provider, but I would never be able to keep track of which movies I have brought through which provider and it would do my head in, and they don't seem to be any cheaper than buying a physical copy

Soldato
And renting is super crap idea, if you want to watch it again then you have to pay again.... No thanks, might be OK if you are the sort of person that only watches films once

Soldato
I still buy the odd Blu-Ray (sometimes in UHD as well depending on film) but I don't buy anywhere near as many nowdays, I do have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky subscriptions so that's probably why.

Soldato
So why not buy them second hand then?

Lol!!

Have to say I was looking in Barter Books in Alnwick at the weekend and they had quite a few DVDs and Blu-Rays in 2nd hand, missus bought a couple of CDs for £1.80 each which was great for replacing some old albums that have long since been lost (read lent out and forgotten about).

Soldato
Digital downloads mainly with the more expensive Blu-Rays reserved for SFX heavy films as I don't see the point of paying BR prices for a comedy/drama etc when a cheaper DL versions exists.

I haven't bothered with 4K yet and I don't see myself re-buying from BR to 4k BR except for the original Star Wars Trilogy (non-special edition) if it ever came out.

Soldato
I very rarely re-watch films so brand new physical media is too expensive for me. Streaming is definitely the future, the only problem at the moment is that there aren't too many streaming services that have a decent sized catalogue, particularly when it comes to 4k UHD films. I've bought a few 4k films from Rakuten for £5.99 each, that was very good value imo.

Apple seems to have the best catalogue but it's annoying that they force you to buy the 4k box to watch them, they should really have an app for 4k TVs.

Commissario
DVD and Blu-ray for me.

I'll order some things new, others I wait for them to hit the right price.

I like the ability to go back and watch something again at a later (random) date, and not have to pay for it again, I also often end up watching a film over the space of a couple of days if I'm watching it with my father (he can't sit for more than about an hour without smoking).

Digital downloads for films are something I don't trust at all, especially as the ultraviolet downloads seem to be a bit of a nonsense.
I've lost access to one provider beause their support can't work out that my account is giving a "no account for this email address" message when I try to use the link it emails me for a reset.
I also don't trust digital providers to actually be around, I would hope Amazon and Apple will remain, but I've seen enough companies go bust (including huge ones) to not bet on it.

There is also the whole, I don't want to have to rely on an internet connection for watching TV/Films thing, given if my internet goes out, I'm more likely to want to sit and watch a film.

Permabanned
Still only really buy discs if I won't to own the movie itself. I'll usually rent or watch on Netflix or Amazon and buy the Blu Ray if I like it. I like to collect things, but it's also so I don't forget what I've watched over the years :)

Man of Honour
And renting is super crap idea, if you want to watch it again then you have to pay again.... No thanks, might be OK if you are the sort of person that only watches films once
Really though, how many films have you watched more than twice in, say, the last year? Not many, I guess? I’m not sure I’ve seen any films more than once in the last year and maybe only a couple of films twice over the past 2 years. Even if you rent twice (£7ish) that’s still probably a broadly exquivilent cost to purchasing at a fair price. Since ditching my stash of blu rays over a year ago I haven’t once rented any of them and have otherwise found them on Netflix etc, so there has been no loss to me from renting the occasional film and otherwise using streaming services. I’d quite firmly suggest it’s not a ‘crap’ solution unless your the kind of person that constantly watches ALL of your films. So much convenience and space saved, too. Think of a film that you want to watch - immediately watch it \o/

Soldato
blu-ray only for me. I don't have internet bandwidth for music streaming let alone films. I rarely buy full price though. I usually pick up crap from CEX (never had a problem ripping any of them and that's all I care about) or if I'm feeling really rich I'll grab 3 for £20 from HMV. :p

Soldato
Really though, how many films have you watched more than twice in, say, the last year? Not many, I guess? I’m not sure I’ve seen any films more than once in the last year and maybe only a couple of films twice over the past 2 years. Even if you rent twice (£7ish) that’s still probably a broadly exquivilent cost to purchasing at a fair price. Since ditching my stash of blu rays over a year ago I haven’t once rented any of them and have otherwise found them on Netflix etc, so there has been no loss to me from renting the occasional film and otherwise using streaming services. I’d quite firmly suggest it’s not a ‘crap’ solution unless your the kind of person that constantly watches ALL of your films. So much convenience and space saved, too. Think of a film that you want to watch - immediately watch it \o/

Loads thanks, enjoy films, I have some that I must have watched a good 30x

Back
Top Bottom