How are you guys buying/collecting movies

Soldato
Loads thanks, enjoy films, I have some that I must have watched a good 30x

Same here, there must be nearly 20 films that are available to DL this year which I've watched twice or more, I think Infinity Wars might be 4-5! :D

However I currently live in a country with limited English language TV available which tends to skews things I suppose.

Man of Honour
Loads thanks, enjoy films, I have some that I must have watched a good 30x
Fair enough - I love films too but certainly don’t watch the same ones that frequently. A few select films survived the cull but I haven’t reached for my Blu-ray box yet.

Associate
hard copy for me , i love going through my "library" with the kids only for them to choose one they cant watch because they are to young lol

Soldato
Don’t buy discs anymore as they seem to have lost all resale value. You’re lucky to get more than £1.50 for them second hand now.
I happened to buy my last blu-ray in a Charity shop for £1-, Guardians of the Galaxy 3d which says a lot about what the previous owner thought of it.
I only buy discs if I really like the film & I want HD sound. Newer releases = google play or I'm trawling the streaming catalogue on Amazon prime.

Soldato
And renting is super crap idea, if you want to watch it again then you have to pay again.... No thanks, might be OK if you are the sort of person that only watches films once

I just rent movies on Amazon, for 3-5 EUR, makes perfect sense. By the time I might actually want to watch a film again it's usually free on Prime or Netflix.

Taken a while but the film industry has finally got digital distribution right, so that its priced Right and works for out better for the consumer.

Soldato
Really though, how many films have you watched more than twice in, say, the last year? Not many, I guess? I’m not sure I’ve seen any films more than once in the last year and maybe only a couple of films twice over the past 2 years. Even if you rent twice (£7ish) that’s still probably a broadly exquivilent cost to purchasing at a fair price. Since ditching my stash of blu rays over a year ago I haven’t once rented any of them and have otherwise found them on Netflix etc, so there has been no loss to me from renting the occasional film and otherwise using streaming services. I’d quite firmly suggest it’s not a ‘crap’ solution unless your the kind of person that constantly watches ALL of your films. So much convenience and space saved, too. Think of a film that you want to watch - immediately watch it \o/
I have a plex server with over 700 BR rips on them, I would say I watch about 90% of that lot every couple of years....plus additions of course...and there are some I watch every 6 months.

don't get me wrong I know a lot of people who don't like watching a film more than once - some times I wish I was one of them (all that time I would get back) but I cant imagine not being able to watch a film Ive owned previously unless its available at someone else's discretion (Netflix or Sky obviously only offer a very small proportion of their films they have the licence for at any one time)

I also think that anyone who copies a disc should keep that disc until they delete the copy (ie no ripping a rented disc, or selling on a purchase once ripped).

That annoying "advert" on majority of discs - piracy is not a victimless crime - gets my goat everytime I see it. Im sure in the studio 's eyes Im a pirate even though all Im doing is accessing the date in a more convenient fasion

edit All BR and about 80 or so 4k now

There are still a lot of kinks in the digitial download arena (apart from the fact that its nigh on impossible to get an exact copy of the disc as a download unless you do it yourself)

Last edited:
Commissario
I was reading something earlier where it was being mentioned that in some areas Itunes users who "bought" films are finding them missing from their collection, apparently because when the distribution deal ends between Apple and the rights holders Apple don't retain the ability to make them avialable to people who thought they were buying, not renting, and when pushed apple are offering a rental of another film.

Which is a really good way to put people off "buying" content from you - Steam IIRC when they stop selling something, remove it from the store, but if you've purchased it, you can still download it.

Soldato
I was reading something earlier where it was being mentioned that in some areas Itunes users who "bought" films are finding them missing from their collection, apparently because when the distribution deal ends between Apple and the rights holders Apple don't retain the ability to make them avialable to people who thought they were buying, not renting, and when pushed apple are offering a rental of another film.

Which is a really good way to put people off "buying" content from you - Steam IIRC when they stop selling something, remove it from the store, but if you've purchased it, you can still download it.

This is why buying digital is stupid. You're not buying anything, you're just renting over a longer period, until such time as the services goes **** up or they lose the rights or whatever. At least when you buy physical you can watch the film, regardless of what happens.

With renting being usually 1/3 the price of buying digitally here....you need to be watching *every* film an average of 3 times, *before* the the film becomes free to stream anyway...to make a digital buy worthwhile over renting.

I know I don't come anywhere close to that, my average is probably 1.01.

Soldato
I'm mainly using Google Play for my movie collection and I'm generally only buying when they're on offer. Probably not paid more than £5 for any of them and they're generally only movies I've actually seen before and I know I would watch again as I really like the film. Kind of odd I guess, I wouldn't buy a movie I hadn't seen unless I was really sure I would like it... and it was under £5.

I have rented a couple of times, again, when it's been a Google offer of some kind, like for 99p. I guess it's a psychological thing I don't want to pay for something that is a one use thing.

Yes, there's a risk they disappear, but as I say, if I've only paid £3 for it, I'm not all that bothered. I prefer that risk but having my movie collection with me everywhere I go.

Man of Honour
And renting is super crap idea, if you want to watch it again then you have to pay again.... No thanks, might be OK if you are the sort of person that only watches films once

I guess it depends how many films you want to watch many times whenever you want. My wife still buys DVDs but most of them get watched once. I've bought some films I really enjoyed (Alien quadrilogy bluray etc) and they have just sat in the box for years. After a while films come out on TV and nowadays with PVRs etc it is quite easy to record them. Or potentially free on other services. I own most of the films I *really* enjoyed but very few I will have actually watched via the disc (compared to TV etc) more than once.

Nowadays with so much content readily available and so little time available, the chances of me watching a film multiple times are reduced due to all the choice. My attitude is, why watch a film again when there are dozens of other AAA films out there I haven't seen yet?

Edit: Being honest, I think I could quite happily offload 95% of my dvd/BD collection without taking copies and just rely on Sky / Amazon for everything else, excluding cinema and children's films I probably only watch about half a dozen films a year nowadays.
Gaming is more of an issue, if Steam got wiped out I'd be well annoyed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Any movie I want to watch more than once (and it’s very few) get bought and ripped to my hard drive to watch on my Nvidia shield. I only have a PS4 for Blu-ray and can’t stand the hassle of disc changing and whatnot. Prefer everything to simply be at the end of a remote control.

Back
Top Bottom