How bad is pick pocketing in Barcelona?

Soldato
Off to Barcelona in a couple of weeks and keep seeing pick pockets mentioned allover the Internet.

I understand the no wallet in back pocket but keep reading things about people coming up to you or blocking you on the metro.

Is it as bad as they are saying or is it just like any normal big city you'd go to?

Soldato
Watch out for the bars in the middle of La Ramblas too, their prices are extortionate!

We never saw anything personally when we were there, nor were we targetted, as long as you're vigilant you should be fine. As above, watch out for distractions.

Soldato
My friend got pick pocketed when we went on a lads weekend. We were a bit tipsy not seriously drunk and a bunch of lads came over pretending to be drunk too. Gave my mate a hug, when he went to grab the apartment keys he realised they'd nabbed his wallet. I only took money out with me on that holiday as much as I was comfortable losing at any one time. For Barcelona I probably wouldn't behave any other way. So many prostitutes harassing you means there must be loads of pickpockets too. I locked everything in the apartment safe took my cards out during the day to get cash then locked them up again at night, keys in a bottom of jeans pocket. It's just one of those places.

Soldato
Had no issues and i've been twice.

Just use common sense tbh.

My wallet and phone are buried deep in my jean pockets, of which are fairly tight against me, does sometimes take me 2 hands to dig my phone out.

I'll also walk around with my hands in my pockets, so no chance of phone/wallet slipping by.

I imagine most pick-pocketers are chancers, so will likely go for rucksacks which you're less likely to notice. Just don't keep anything valuable in there.

Edit: I must say it's a fantastic city, so don't let it put you off visiting.

Don
No worse than London.

As an ex-londoner I used to keep my wallet, phone and keys in my front pocket and then would walk around with a hand in said pocket. Seemed to work well for 10+ years.

Did get mugged for my watch though, but it was insured so they were welcome to it, didn't want to make my face any uglier with a good kicking :p

Soldato
I didn't have any issues, although my wallet was tied to my trousers in a liquid proof sack and not easy to snag (possibly overcautious!).

I also didnt see anything particularly dodgy, it's similar level to prague, having been to both.

Soldato
OP
Ideal thanks for putting my mind at ease! I'm planning on proposing there so will have the ring on me in my wallet for a day or so. I'll just keep my hand glued to my wallet!

Soldato
It is like any major touristy city. It is listed as among the worse but imo it is no different from Paris and such.

Just use common sense. Obviously put your wallet in a hard to reach place like a front pocket and be wary of high population density areas, as often physical contact is used as a distraction while pick-pocketing. Groups of people barging past you make an effective distraction.

Linking it to a belt loop with a chain or something is enough to put them off trying.

Edit: I would probably put the ring in something that you are not taking in an out of your pocket every 20 minutes.

Man of Honour
As an ex-londoner I used to keep my wallet, phone and keys in my front pocket and then would walk around with a hand in said pocket. Seemed to work well for 10+ years.

Used to annoy me when I lived in London how many times people I knew got mugged/pick-pocketed (not that it happened all the time) and they still didn't take any precautions - one guy would grumble about it and still stick his wallet in the back pocket of his jeans.

TBH while I'm a little over cautious about stuff like this when travelling abroad I usually keep my main money/cards in an inside zipped pocket or in a safe as mentioned above and use another wallet with a smaller amount of cash for actual use - though most places are probably no different to London or UK tourist spots generally.

Caporegime
No worse or batter than any big Tourist city. Always only take out enough money you need for that day/evening and keep wallet in front pocket so when people come close or in crowded areas you can keep your hand on your wallet.

Worst example of not doing this was years ago on a lads trip to prague. Was warned by a local on the plane about pick pockets. First night out took only a small amount of money and I kept my wallet in my front pocket. One lad didnt. We got approached by some "girls" in the street offering their "services" ;) in the main square. Before you could blink on of them had managed to get my mates belt off and his trousers round his knees. He got his trousers back up and pushed her away but when we got to the next bar found his wallet had gone. Oh well we though, could have been worse, at least he hadn't lost much. Turns out he had gone out with the whole £300 for the trip, all his bank and credit cards, even his driving licence and the airport parking ticket for his car back home. :(

Or buy an ankle wallet
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagle-Cree..._0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=AFXB4D8EFBHXD7PWZ3N2

Soldato
Been a lot of times for work, and never had an issue. Nor anyone else in my teams that went.

If you went for work, were you frequently spending time in the very popular tourist spots notorious for pick pocketing?

It's rife and frequently spoken about because it happens, a number of years ago it almost happened to me and my partner at the time. 3 girls came up to my partner wanting her to sign her name for some fake petition and while your attention is turned another girl will go for your wallet, I wasn't drunk and luckily noticed very quickly after it had happened so I got my wallet back. This doesn't mean it happens to everyone, but it doesn't mean those that haven't had it happen, that it won't. Just be careful and be wary of your surroundings, and if you go out drinking be sensible and only take what you need for the evening.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Last time I was there, we were walking home in the early hours after a night out clubbing/drinking.

A street hoe approached us..and in my drunken state I thought why not let her use her mouth skills. Went round the corner, dropped my jeans and as she was getting started I noticed her going into my jean pockets with her hand... Off course I put a stop to it there and just left!

Back
Top Bottom