How bad is pick pocketing in Barcelona?

Soldato
I was once pick-pocketed in Birmingham. It was a double whammy because I was stood in line at a burger van. Ordered my burger then when it came time to pay, I had no money. The burger van owner kicked off at me big style, very embarrassing. I was left hungry and broke. :(

Soldato
Didn't have any problems myself when I went there last year for 4 days but tbh I probably wasn't in the positions to get done (i.e drunk!)

I also went to Las Ramblas only once, had a crap rip off meal there and never went again, massive tourist trap there's plenty to see and do in Barca without going there it's just a gloryfied UK high street in the sun.

Soldato
OP
Got back on Friday, lovely city and not a sniff of any pick pockets. I didn't carry my wallet on me I bought a small little zipped pocket that clipped onto my jeans, made me feel more comfortable!

Found an amazing cocktail bar called The Box, about 100m from our hotel, homemade infused rums were so good!

Man of Honour
Im going in early April. To be fair I shall be picking loads of pockets. Take the war to their streets, they don't like it up em.

Caporegime
Barcelona is much worse than any other Western city I can think of, comparing it to London is laughable. I personally know around 5 people (including one person on this forum!) who have been robbed there. The pickpockets are especially active around F1 time.

Indeed it is quite obvious, I'm not sure that people posting 'I went there and I woz ok' are really adding too much - I'm sure the majority of people who visit won't get pick pocketed, it is still a huge problem for the city and one that it is very worth being aware of.

If you're planning on going then take care and be on the look out for it - especially on the underground or if approached by any group of youths (hugger muggers etc..). Please ignore some of the naive and unhelpful people from earlier in the thread who seemed to be actively denying that there is even a problem - maybe they genuinely did spend time in the city utterly oblivious to their surrounding but they're not really helping anyone by denying the issue.

Soldato
OP
Just to add, I can see how it's got a rep for pick pocketing. Las ramblas was very busy even in March, I wouldn't even bother going there tbh just full of tourists and over priced/rubbish food restaurants. We mostly ate further towards Ciutdella park.

Back
Top Bottom