• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are hurting gamers

OcUK Staff
That should be obvious, if the mid range cards have all gone up in price then the retail value of the cards above it are forced up as well. The other week we were almost in the ridiculous situation where a 1070 was almost at 1080 prices. Market segmentation is still required so retailers will make sure that each card is priced accordingly.

But this is not strictly true, nearly all of our 1080Ti are actually lower in the price, the mining situation though is impacting pricing on 1080Ti elsewhere, has not impacted the prices of 1080Ti at OcUK. As I've said our pricing on them is quite aggressive, especially considering they now cost us more to buy due to the them going up in price due to memory price increases.

Soldato
It's not hurting me I've got £250 more than I would have done but for mining, and until 580's come back to where the I think they should be that's not going to change. I'm still gaming though.

Associate
why can't they just magic more bitcoins out of thin air?
Algorithm says no. The only way to create them is to mine them, and the difficulty of mining is set to limit to a preset amount, therefore even if you suddenly 'pumped' a shed tonne more mining power, the difficulty would increase therefore rendering it mute. It is the difference between central control (central bank) and well not.

Clearly there are other risks however, the USD is underwritten in effect by the US economy & government. no one guarantees a bitcoin, thus its value is derived purely from people believing it has value.

Back
Top Bottom