How can employers get away with this?

Associate
My mate who works in the financial industry recently started a new job. On his contract it states 35 hours a week.

On his first day he had a 1-1 with his manager who said that his hours were 9am-6pm which would be 40 hours a week. Now im sure there is something in the contract which says that he may need to work more hours to meet project demands or something like that, but to be told that's what the hours will always be is a bit strange.

I should point out, nobody is complaining, and I'm certain it happens everywhere, but I am wondering how they get away with doing something like this?

Permabanned
He'll do well.

'he's satying to meet demands'

w8gu.jpg

Permabanned
I'm guessing he works for one of the big 4 then.
You work till the project is done, usually 40 hours a week minimum even if contract says 35.
Guessing he also opted out the EU guideline on working hours when he signed the contract, surely that gave him some idea of what was expected?

Commissario
9-6 is 9 hours = 45 hours
With 1 hour lunch break that = 40 hours

Something isn't right, needs to get it sorted.

schizo is wrong and should be banned.

Caporegime
9-6 everyday and take off 5x 1 hour lunch brakes is 35 hours.

Depends if it also says inc. lunchbreaks...

My contract days 37.5 hours at 9-5.30 but says a one hour lunch is included. I think that's fairly standard on contracts but obviously the important part is what is in the contract.

Soldato
I'm guessing he works for one of the big 4 then.
You work till the project is done, usually 40 hours a week minimum even if contract says 35.
Guessing he also opted out the EU guideline on working hours when he signed the contract, surely that gave him some idea of what was expected?

What dfarrall says here....

He should have signed the opt out agreement, though perhaps didn't understand what he was signing.

9am-6pm I'd say are fairly typical hours of most professionals, perhaps different if you work in the public sector though.

Soldato
As long as he gets paid overtime for the extra 5 hours, where's the issue? However if he's contacted for 35 hours and only gets paid for 35 hours then he needs to decide if the job is worth being underpaid for...

Back
Top Bottom