How can I extend the signal of a wireless connection at home?

Soldato
Hey there people, the title really says it all but what I'm asking is, I've been told that there's a device I can buy that strengthens the signal between my wireless modem in my bedroom and the laptop downstairs in the living room, And that I would put this device halfway between my bedroom and the hallway, and it strengthens the signal in between so the laptop in the room says signal strength "Strong" rather then "Low" and disconnecting all the time which is what is happening now, as well as running slow too.

I am on 10mb NTL Broadband, windows XP laptop and PC, and in our last house the signal strength was always strong with no problems, but since we've moved to a bigger house the signal strength is no longer adequate. So can anyone please tell me what this device is called and send me a link to it on the OCUK show where I plan to buy it from.

Cheers in advance,

P.S. The modem I have I think is this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-021-BE but the 54mbs version. Got it about a year ago. And like I say before we moved in this house it was always signal strength strong, and no disconnects, and fast broadband speed through wireless on the laptop, and I just want it back how it was.

SkScotchegg :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Would it be feasible to run a 2nd WAP? That's what I have done at a friend's house that is long and narrow.

At my own home I run a WRT54G with DD-WRT and I have manually increased the transmit power to 75 mW from the stock power of 28 mW. This has dramatically increased signal strength.

You could try to fit higher gain antennas on the WAP as well.

Soldato
OP
How can I check the signal strength from the laptop, what do I need to do on the laptop to see this?

And how do I increase transmit power on a wireless modem to make it produce a stronger signal?

Is there nobody that can basically tell me what I need to buy what devices and what setup I should have, I'm a newbie at networks, and setting up this wireless network the way it is now which didnt take long, is about as much as I know about networking.

Cheers in advance,

P.S. Is there no one device that I can just install somewhere inbetween my room and the living room that will keep the signal strength long.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
SkScotchegg said:
Is there nobody that can basically tell me what I need to buy what devices and what setup I should have, I'm a newbie at networks, and setting up this wireless network the way it is now which didnt take long, is about as much as I know about networking.
Only you know the network. You have to tell us what might be feasible. I asked if you'd be able to install a second WAP. A second WAP would connect to the first via Ethernet and would be placed somewhere closer to the problem area so as to extend range.

Associate
A repeater should work also. A repeater will in in the middle of the host and client, get the signal first, juice it up and then send it on its way again.

TrUz

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Would it be feasible to run a 2nd WAP? That's what I have done at a friend's house that is long and narrow.

At my own home I run a WRT54G with DD-WRT and I have manually increased the transmit power to 75 mW from the stock power of 28 mW. This has dramatically increased signal strength.

You could try to fit higher gain antennas on the WAP as well.

isnt increasing transmit power illegal? doesnt it come under the same laws that govern radio transmissions?

Man of Honour
I can't remember the exact figure, but 16 or 20 db is the limit for b/g class wireless. On the other hand, it's not really enforced particularly strictly ;) I think this limit is actually going to be lifted soon too...

I'd personally just build a small dish at both ends to amplify the signal (also potentially legally dodgy)...or go wired, which is far superior in terms of performance.

Soldato
OP
Ok after reading everything everyone has put I think a repeater would be the best solution. But also how can I find out if the laptop is sending a weak signal or the wireless modem at my PC is sending a weak signal?

I was also thinking of getting an one way entenna for my wireless modem, what do you think? How do they work anyways? any good?

And does OCUK send these antenna's?

And do they sell repeater?

I looked and found nothing, any chance someone can send me a link to both?

Thanks allot.

Back
Top Bottom