1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you ask god for a cure and not blame him for the cause ?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Hodders, 12 Aug 2015.

1. win8.1

PermaBanned

Separated yet no better than Rome. I said you follow teachings from ecumenical movements which you do.

2. El Capitano

Mobster

It must be really hard being the only True Christian in the village.

3. Uriel

Sgarrista

That's all fine. I've quoted the part of your post I'm happy to agree with and apply to myself.

I just consider those claims open to rational inquiry. Taking seriously the command to Love the Lord with all my mind, I set out to discover what Jesus and his disciples really taught. My basis for rational inquiry was simply that those that knew them had the best chance of accurately representing their teaching rather than simply trying to pick one of the many disparate interpretations of their teaching we see today.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much evidence is there. I'd always assumed, in my Evangelical background, that the origins of the Bible were somewhat veiled and mysterious. For the Roman Catholics and the Orthodox it's part of their story: the church as the 'pillar and ground of truth'.

But ultimately rational inquiry could only take me so far. Even though I could get hold of the evidence about the disciples immediate followers and their beliefs, did I ultimately believe them? Did I believe the claims of the Orthodox or Roman Catholics to be a true continuation from them (FWIW I don't consider W8.1's to be a claim open to rational inquiry)?

Well, as best as I could tell, church history is a lot messier than the Orthodox or Roman Catholics might present it. Despite the evidence for the events being there how was I to assess which way to turn each time a 'heretical' group split off from the 'main' Church body? I'm theologically more 'catholic' than I used to be but rational inquiry can only take you so far. Ultimately you have to trust someone.

So yeah, after all that I moved to the CofE. It's a bit of a mess but there's a stream within it that values rational inquiry and the early church. I can be myself there. We don't all agree on everything but we can unite around a desire to faithfully follow Jesus. If I have any hope for the ecumenical movement, that's it.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2015
  4. Usher

Mobster

Lets try looking at this a different way, You don't need any technology to see plenty of visible indications of the age of the Earth, just use your eyes & brain which you might find difficult but we'll give it a try anyway.

Can your own eyes not see visible evidence all around ? have you not recently been to the beach with your bucket & spade & not noticed the different layers in the cliffs ? how long do you think it took those layers to form ? it can take from 400 to 1000 years to form just one inch of soil, in the different layers fossils of extinct plants & creatures can be found.

Perhaps you are not aware that coal is formed from fossilised vegetation ?
    You've not wondered how coal made from ferns ended up in some cases 2 miles deep including below oceans ?

Your quite happy to put oil in your car but do you know what it's made of?
    Crude oil was made over millions of years from tiny plants and animals, called plankton, you have no opinion as to how it ended up deep below seas & deserts?

How long do you think it took the Colorado river to carve a channel over a mile deep?

recent evidence suggests that the Colorado River established its course through the canyon at least 17 million years ago. Since that time, the Colorado River continued to erode and form the canyon to its present-day configuration.

5. Screeeech

Mobster

You need to understand that you're wasting your time lol, everything you say is pretty much correct and reasonable, but you're dealing with someone who is totally lost, isn't open to discussion on the matter and has come to the incorrect conclusion on everything - because they're unable to think properly, or have been indoctrinated to the point where there's no hope.

You may as well save the energy, and just do something useful,

6. Diddums

Capodecina

Is this win8.1 chap for real? Can't be. I suspect that this is a duplicate account trolling.

7. Uriel

Sgarrista

Usher, while I agree with much of what you've said recently, you sometimes have had a tendency to be willfully ingorant and selective about what historical evidence you'll even be prepared to assess.

It's nowhere near as selective as Win8.1's refusal to notice all sorts of things that are encountered on a daily basis but please be prepared to be challenged if and when you do resort to excessive hyperbole.

Edit: I don't know about a duplicate account but I have wondered several times if Win8.1 is genuine or just someone having a bit of a giggle. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'll give them one thing and that's a much greater degree of consistancy than kedge. I'm still intrigued by that comment of his about not worshiping the God of the bible or going to church. During those yo-yoing disappearance / reappearance posts I began to wonder if his account had been hacked.

What's that verse in James?... "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." (chapter 2 verse 19, King James Version).

8. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Two words: Islamic State.

9. Lytton

Hitman

He seems about as inconsistent as kedge, I'm convinced they're the same person, they've logged in and out and responded to posts from other members as if they're the same person. The level of delusion is about the same, so they're either the same person or are closely associated from some fringe creatard forum somewhere.

10. win8.1

PermaBanned

When I use my eyes and reason I see God's/Christ's creation.

You might want to believe the notion that the vast universe came into a certain order with mankind being only on one planet out of that vast universe and somehow it was all luck it turned out that way but that is just fantasy not reason.

You look at things in millions and billions of years because you have been taught that from school/internet/media. It's what you assume because certain scientists say so using unreliable dating methods.

You don't want to face the truth that one day soon you will face a Holy God without your sins forgiven and a born again change in your life and use evolution as a comfort blanket to block it all out. Sadly when you pass away into eternity the reality will hit that it's too late. That will be an awful day.

11. Lytton

Hitman

Nauseating to the extreme

12. win8.1

PermaBanned

This is indeed a description of the person without God and without Christ and without hope, totally lost and heading for eternal damnation, deluded and blinded by the devil through unbelief of God's Word. Indoctrinated by the fables, myths of certain so called scientists until they perish in their sins.

13. win8.1

PermaBanned

Has God ever shown you that you are lost and guilty before Him a Holy God?

14. Screeeech

Mobster

I can't prove it, but AGES ago I used to lurk here, and there was a massive thread where someone called "Wheat7777777" was posting the exact same drivel, and it went on for ages - then he got permabanned..

I can't prove it - and I might be wrong, but I suspect that Win8.1 is actually Wheat7777777 on an alt account,

for example:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24840134&postcount=2010

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24852439&postcount=2232

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24843884&postcount=2089

Notice the similarities, similar grammar, similar posting style,...

Like I say, I can't prove it - but I'd be very surprised if it was a different person.

15. Uriel

Sgarrista

Yes he did. When I was about 14 or so. I believed that Jesus lived and died on the cross for me and that without the forgiveness that is in him that there was no other way I could be saved. I still do.

May I remind you that Gospel means "Good news"?

You seem to be doing the equivalent of, when someone "lost" stops for directions you shout "Mwahahaha! You're doomed! DOOMED! There is no way out!!!". Without so much as some directions on where to go that strikes me as rather bad news, don't you think?

Please consider which of the fruit of the Spirit you have displayed to our OCUK forum readers during the course of this thread:
    Edit: Screeeech - seems likely.

16. Diddums

Capodecina

Oh yeah, definitely. No doubt about it.

Win8.1 what are your views on homosexuality?

17. DampDog

Mobster

Though Agnostic myself, that echo's my view of the majority of win8.1 posts. Rather than sharing his experiences and how it's enriched his life, he appears to revel and enjoy the thought of the rest of humanity being damned for eternity. That in itself I would have thought sinful by his standards so maybe he is not as saved as he thinks he is.

Likewise, imo Screeeech is on the money.

18. jpod

Wise Guy

Keep them coming Win 8.1 I will hit them out of the stadium.

Like I have already explained, you have to critically apprise scientific evidence. Good scientists don't just believe any claim. Ideally journal evidence in peer reviewed journals is best.

You really have to look at who is paying for the study.

Dr Austin did not select the correct dating technique for the samples of the volcano, St Helena.

And the studies are sponsored by the Creation Research Society, unlikely to be unbiased.

It is nonsense, creation science is just not good science.

Quote:
    Experiments co-sponsored by the Creation Research Society show that............................

http://scholar.googleusercontent.co...in+radio+dating+creationists&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

19. jpod

Wise Guy

Radio isotope dating can be accurate to 100 years

20. DampDog

Mobster

My day job for many years was building Stable Isotope Mass Spectrometers. First one I ever delivered (many years ago) was to Colin Pillinger's (Beagle II) Lab in the Earth Sciences building at the OU. I think he was using it to date moon rock iirc.