• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how capable is the i7 860 still? (no more replies needed.)

Soldato
i know its old, but that is what my mini itx is which im quite fond of and at £35 i dont see it as a waste(affordable old hardware upgrading is nice) so after establishing it will run off my psu i am going to try get the one i found over the weekend, but that doesnt stop me wondering how capable these old i7 processors still are at anything really. i cant be bothered with overclocking anymore, so raw power will do me.

Associate
Well I still game just fine on my i5 750 (tho, it's at 3.6 day to day so a bit overclocked)

It's not going to blow you away and in some games certainly lacks but in many scenarios it's still great. What GPU you pairing it with?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for reply.

Yeah not expecting earth shattering performance, I just know the 1155 i7 processors are still considered good when it comes to upgrading, so i wondered if the older i7 models were the same case as they are 4c8t.

Right now I have a 2gb gt610, but plan to get a 1030 unless I find a case that takes stronger power supplies and dual slot graphic cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a I7 950 @ 3.8ghz and 6GB of ram with a Nitro 390 8GB and can quite happily play games.

currently playing the Division without any issues, played the Doom demo as well and handles most things fine but I do game at 1080P

Soldato
OP
Are the 1366 not considered stronger or they older?

Mean I haven’t decided if I will game on it other than the older games that even my basic advent m100 blue laptop can play as it’s all down to what I decide about case etc to enable proper graphic cards, but I still want the i7 if I can get hold of one as it’s there if I do decide to game plus should make a nice quick little computer still all round.

Soldato

Mean I haven’t decided if I will game on it other than the older games that even my basic advent m100 blue laptop can play as it’s all down to what I decide about case etc to enable proper graphic cards, but I still want the i7 if I can get hold of one as it’s there if I do decide to game plus should make a nice quick little computer still all round.
The "original" LGA 1366 chips (Bloomfield) are basically the same as the i7-8xx series (Lynnfield). However, there are 6-core 32 nm Westmere-EP Xeons available for LGA 1366. LGA 1156 is stuck with 45 nm quad core Lynnfield chips.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the insight, I guess 1156 wasn’t aimed for server based then if there’s no xenons? I’ve gone backawards so the mm(die?) isn’t a bother to me so long the chip can perform well, mean I had a q6600 the other week till I sold it, so this is an upgrade from that, but downgrade from my other 2 systems, however if it means I can have a nice system with an i7 for a change at really cheap prices then I’m willing to compromise on those finer details.

Thanks for the BF1 review, luckily for me I won’t ever buy that for pc as the evolution pack goes down to £20-22 in Tesco for Xbox often, but it’s handy to know how certain games can perform on these older hardware, I suppose anno 2205 is a game I might get back in to out of my more demanding games, I’m too past division to pick it up where I left off, so that’s one demand I won’t be aiming for.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for reply, this board I have doesn’t offer any support for xenon nor do I think there even is a xenon for this socket, but I’ve never had an i7 before and for what I have currently and what I paid for the processor, so if it works then happy days

Associate

Exact same CPU architecture as far as the grunt goes. Both are nehalem. Benchmark scores are similar. Obviously 1 is bloomfield the other is lynnfield and there are some differences but all 1st gen i7 perform similarly. There are some platform differences. Overall 1366 is a superior platform to 1156. Both are obsolete dinosaurs, though.

Soldato
Exact same CPU architecture as far as the grunt goes. Both are nehalem. Benchmark scores are similar. Obviously 1 is bloomfield the other is lynnfield and there are some differences but all 1st gen i7 perform similarly. There are some platform differences. Overall 1366 is a superior platform to 1156. Both are obsolete dinosaurs, though.

Until games run at 10fps, nope.

Soldato
OP
I’m happy with anything 40-60fps lol, I can tolerate games at 15-25fps depending what it is, I got pretty far on FO4 couple years ago at 15-25fps because I found the stuttering very tolerable...

but this i7 isn’t aimed to be gaming, I got it because I’ve sold my Lenovo tomorrow and debating whether to build up my 1155 still and also build a htpc out my AM1 for my projector and as this i7 was cheap because if it’s age they why not, like I said if it works then I will have a nice i7 itx system for general use and option to turn make a decent gamer or use with demandish software

Soldato
Similar to a couple of posters above, I was using an i5 750 till a year ago and it was really only the lure of Ryzen made me upgrade. Sure the Ryzen multi tasks so much better but the i5 was still a surprisingly quick and capable chip.

Soldato
OP
The i5 750 was an alternative as I saw one for £12, but I would’ve had to order it, so for the extra the i7 seemed worth it and it’s further than I got with the last 2 1155 systems I had, sold my last one with an i3 before I could afford an i5 lol and the one I have now has a G2020 and for the price of a 2400, I have found an i7 just happens to be a generation older and since I’m not bothered about overclocking then it be fine with my 300w psu..

My next move is sorting out my AM1, need a cpu and ram to test the board even works lol and an itx case to fit it in, but I do think I should try get rid of my 1155 and ugly case still and then maybe look at a ryzen setup to try out

Soldato
I had a 860 which was fine for all games in 2013/4 which is when I upgraded to Haswell I think. This was with a 7970. It might even be surprisingly good in newer games that like having 8 threads. I'd be interested to hear how it performs in BF1. The base clock is low but I had mine clocked to 3.4Ghz to 3.6GHz I think over its life on a cheap aftermarket air cooler. For general computing it will be fine especially with a SSD and 8GB+ of Ram.

Back
Top Bottom