How cheaply could i build an XBMC HTPC?

Soldato
I watch a lot of HD TV shows and Movies which I currently stick on a USB stick and play through my PS3 as well as using Netflix and Youtube, also via my PS3. What i'd like to do is get rid of my PS3 since i no longer game on it and build an HTPC capable playing 1080p mkv video files as well as Netflix and Youtube. My preference would be to use XBMC since its free and popular and I can use my Android phone as a remote. I'd also like it to be capable of running Sabnzbd so i dont have to transfer/stream downloaded material from my PC to HTPC. As cost is an issue i'm going to assume that running XBMC on Linux would be the way to go, the problem being that i've never even used Linux much less installed it on a PC. I was thinking that I could practice by trying to install Linux on my PC with Virtual box. That way I could get some practice installing and using Linux long before i build an HTPC. Would this be a good idea or would using Virtualbox not be a realistic environment compared to installing it on a PC proper?

If anyone could help me figure out exactly what I need and how to do it as cost effectively as possible i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
VERY. I have put several together using the Gigabyte E350N motherboards. Dual core AMD apu with integrated Radeon 6310 graphics. Stick it in any case with a psu, a 2gb stick of memory and stick on openelec. Openelec with XBMC is free, the board costs about £40 (Not sure if there is a newer version) 2gb ddr3 can be had for a fiver and run off a usb key (But would recommend a small ssd if you are going to use Aeon Nox Skin)

So easily doable for less than 100 quid. Or build one with a nice case, ssd and a bit more memory (Not that nessasary) for about 150 quid.

If you are not happy with the motherboard with bits integrated you can buy a AMD A4-5300 APU for £30, MSI A55M-E33 Motherboard for £34 and Corsair Value 4GB (2x2GB) 1333Mhz for £40.

Hope that helps :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks a lot for that, didn't realise it could be done so cheap. I've not heard of openelec before, looks good but i'd quite like to have Ubuntu installed so i can use Sabnzbd and maybe do some web browsing.

Also, is it possible to control the HTPC running Ubuntu remotely from my PC connected to the same wireless network?

Soldato
OP
Raspberry pi off the bay mate.

Even if you bought new with XBMC installed, remote etc that's only £60.

Interesting. If I went with a Pi and bought a USB HDD would I be able to download content on my PC and then transfer it to the Pi via my wireless network?

Soldato
Why not just stream content to your ps3? Mine functions very well qs a media centre and blue ray player. Also last time I checked, xbmc on linx doesn't have the catch up tv apps or Netflix/amazon. I used software called ps3 media streamer (or something like that).

Soldato
OP
Why not just stream content to your ps3? Mine functions very well qs a media centre and blue ray player. Also last time I checked, xbmc on linx doesn't have the catch up tv apps or Netflix/amazon. I used software called ps3 media streamer (or something like that).

I do but i've always found it to be very unreliable with stuttering and subtitles either not working at all or appearing when i dont want them to with no way to turn them off. I'd also leave the HTPC on 24/7 (allowing it to sleep) and it should be quieter than the PS3 aswell. And as already stated I want to be able to download directly to the HTPC via Sabnzb. The PS3 also doesn't support 5ghz wireless.

Back
Top Bottom