How come my neighbours can get fibre but I can't

Soldato
As the title. The house over the road from me, which I could jump into, can get fibre. The pub on the corner, which is within spitting distance, can get fibre. All the propererties around me can get fibre. I can't !! Why ??? is there a reason for this ??

I am in a new build 3 bed flat and there also 6 houses. Does it just require some one to sort it out at the exchange ? I just can't understand it!

Soldato
Virgin media or openreach?

If OR then that would be unusual, what does dsl checker show?

If VM, then it's most likely the developer didn't secure a wayleave while building the houses.

Soldato
You mentioned your in a flat from the following

I am in a new build 3 bed flat

Which is likely why, even if your flat is on the same road as homes getting it done. Happens where I am, brother in flat on other side of road is homes, all homes got VM but none of the flats. Suspect VM would need to jump through bunch of hoops to get it retrofitted into flats that its not worth the hassle / permissions needed.

EDIT: should have added, mine was specific for VM above.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you could.
If it's a new property then openreach won't have your address on record or it will only be silver at best

I think a sim provide from a knowledgeable ISP with FTTC would work and as your line was put in would be connected to a fibre cab.

Soldato
Shockingly enough, you'll need to speak to a competent ISP who will be able to answer this. As a new build, you may not be on the same cab as your pre-existing neighbours.

Soldato
Shockingly enough, you'll need to speak to a competent ISP who will be able to answer this. As a new build, you may not be on the same cab as your pre-existing neighbours.

I think you could.
I think a sim provide from a knowledgeable ISP with FTTC would should work and as your line was put in would be connected to a fibre cab.

^^^First hand experience from within a competent ISP talking. It can be done.

Soldato
My mum is the same. She recently moved. her side of the street cant get virgin, all all accross the road can !

VM’s process is slightly different, they would need to send a spotter out, essentially a member of the field sales team with basic construction training, if it’s feasible to do so, they will mark it up and construction would be done, as this is a whole side of the street it would go to planning to do the visit and would require the whole street to be dug up - while this is certainly possible, I suspect a good reason why it wasn’t done at the time probably exists. Could be a new build and the developer refused to put ducting in for VM (some are good, some outright suck), could be a wayleave issue etc. or an access issue (VM’s licence required them to supply to the front of the property and via duct/trench rather than pole.

Man of Honour
Where I'm living now most of the surrounding houses connect to a different exchange to me and they only get an average 1.8MBit/s ADSL - I'm one of 4 houses that connect to a different exchange and get FTTC - albeit not living the dream as it rarely syncs over 25Mbit - a bit painful coming from where I used to live with multiple full sync 80/20 lines.

Associate
Where I live my side of the road from the East end to one house past me can get VM to 500Mbps but the the other side cannot get VM at all, as is the case for houses further along on both sides. For FTTC both sides can get it all along except for a lot of new houses built behind the main road so they have VSDL only due to cabling of older versus new houses to different cabinets.

So it can be hit and miss and something I checked incredibly carefully before moving in, but that said it can be new houses not showing up yet due to records or pending infrastructure completion. You need to contact BT and various ISPs (plus VM if in a VM cabled area) and chase to get this properly checked. Also if the developers are known then check with them what they agreed and got included during construction.

Soldato
Could be over subscribed cabinet - my mother had to wait for someone to move/cancel their broadband at her last property in order to get fibre. That property would then have had to wait for someone else etc

Associate
Sometimes in a flat they need kit in the main frame room to then patch to all the rooms. Might not be worth it for them. Might be worth speaking to others in your block and maybe lobbying the company to say "if you get fibre here, we will all buy it!"

Back
Top Bottom