1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How comes Banksy never gets caught in the act?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robfosters, Feb 14, 2020.

1. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

It is crazy that some people earn vasts amount of money out of Banksy's artwork and he gets nothing.
    I watched a documentary called Saving Banksy which was quite informative.

2. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

I'm not sure if Bitcoin is off the grid? But he'll definitely be off-grid.

The police are too busy tracking down adults who wrote something 'questionable' on Facebook/Twitter in 2007 when they were 12 years old, and the terminally offended have just reported it, over a decade later. They're also too busy arresting people at fancy dress parties because they wore sombrero hats.

3. The_One

Capodecina

Its Robert gunningham experts believe

4. rxodium

Perma Banned

Pretty much assumed to be at this point. Especially when you consider Massive Attacks and Del Naja's activism and politics and the fact Del Naja was a graf artist back in the 80s.

Edit: Skip to 4:22 and 6:17 in the video to see him using stencils for Travis Bickle and the taxi cab checkering... in the 1980s.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  5. The_One

Capodecina

6. rxodium

Perma Banned

I don't buy it. One bit of art from 1993 that could have been drawn by any high school student and a grainy video from 1995 were the article states the footage is blurry and difficult to make out and appears to have only a passing resemblance to Gunningham. Meanwhile a clear video from the 1980s with Del Naja using stencils, while Banksy's claimed biggest influence, Blek le Rat only started doing stencil art in 1981. Del Naja has several years on Gunningham doing stencil art and being caught on tape if that's the case.

IF Gunningham has anything to do with Banksy, it's as part of a street team and collective, since the appearance of Banksy artwork around the world usually coincides with Massive Attack's touring schedule. And the fact Goldie has dropped Del Naja's name in the past, which again, is covered by the article you linked to and Goldie and Del Naja have known each other as graffiti artists since the 80s and featured in graffiti books together... then there's the overt political messages behind Banksy's art and you only have to look at the history of Massive Attack and Del Naja to see they align and run exactly parallel.

7. The_One

Capodecina

Theres lots of evidence pointing towards gunningham

8. rebel rebel

Mobster

Him being Del Naja or a collective would be the most interesting. If it''s just a middle class person like Gunningham.. That would be about as interesting as when that bloke revealed he was the Stig.

9. The_One

Capodecina

Here is gunningham in jamaica around the time when banksys artwork appeared on the island

that stencil looks familiar.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. The_One

Capodecina

Remember the footage taken at the banksy auction when the gillertine cut the artwork up?

[​IMG]

11. rebel rebel

Mobster

Gunningham was also pictured working as a parking attendant at some event Banksey did.

12. Tee Hee Johnson

Mobster

It's all publicity.

13. rxodium

Perma Banned

And there's just as much refuting it and lots of evidence pointing towards it being a collective street team, with Del Naja and Massive Attack being the focus. The evidence from school mates saying it is Gunningham, is from one guy, who said he was good at art and said "He was one of three people in my year who were extremely talented at art. I am not at all surprised if he is Banksy." If I drink exlax and paint, taking a **** on canvas doesn't make me Jackson Pollock. Even if someone could confirm I was extremely talented at school and my ******** meant they wouldn't be surprised if I was Jackson Pollock.

Of course it looks familiar. It's the balloon girl stencil. Which went up in Jamaica in 2004 with a black balloon. Do you know why he was in Jamaica at that time? It was to work on a project put together by a record label, a collab between UK and Jamaican musicians. Daddy G was born to West Indian parents. Tricky's father was Jamaican. Dub and Reggae were big influences on Massive Attacks sound. Hell, they released an entire remix album of Protection that was dub.

Also note that with Banksy on that trip was DJ Jon Carter. Carter worked on the album called Two Culture Clash. Banksy was to do the art, but it wasn't used. Carter was a big beat DJ before moving into dub and dancehall (Jamaican music) in the mid 90s. The project evolved into a full band called Monkey Mafia and played clubs and festivals and also toured with Roni Size as well as..... Massive Attack in 1999.

It's funny that as soon as people start linking Banksy to Robert Del Naja... and Goldie drops his name in 2017, in 2018 a piece pops up and is shredded with what looks to be Robin Gunningham there to witness it, the man suspected to most likely be Banksy, who values his anonymity, and just happens to get caught on camera surrounded by people.

There's been loads of different people that have been pictured or interviewed and alleged to have been Banksy, that a street team makes more sense than any single artist.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  14. Participant

Caporegime

I think it's a bunch of copycats and 'Banksy' is now about 5 different people.

15. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

No way, like no one ever thought of that

16. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Stencils. Any decent grafitti artist would put him to shame. I guess there is a message but still. He could do both.

17. Feek

Commissario

He did one not far from me but before it had even been posted on his website, the council removed it.

I did chuckle.

18. Nasher

Capodecina

Stencils are to do it quickly and most likely so other's can put them up.

19. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

stencils do make it a few minutes for the paint also the flowers were already made then stuck up. there had been scaffolding up for the latest one before unvieling. it probably isnt him anymore spraying just doing the design then someone else spraying. with a stencil literally anyone could do it. do like some of the designs but once it gets too artsy farty thats where i dont care. art is always subjective. so this will always be debated is it art or vandalism or whatever.

20. robfosters

Caporegime