1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did the UK become totalitarian police state?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Paul_cz, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Paul_cz

Wise Guy

I just read this story:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-46384637

In short, a guy bought a stun gun in shape of a torch, he didn't use it, it wasn't even functional, and he got 5 YEARS IN JAIL for having it in his home.

I mean..I am at a loss for words. This level of totalitarian insanity might just rival, possibly exceed, that of the pre90s communist countries like my own home of Czechland.

Btw, here in Czechland, neither guns nor stun guns are forbidden. If you get a firearm license, you can conceal carry no problem. Per capita, there are 8 times less gun crimes commited here compared to UK.

Meanwhile, your representatives are considering outlawing knives now. I can't.

2. Begbie

Capodecina

3. Arthur Hucksake

Mobster

Guy looks like he has previous. That would surely make a difference?

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

Guy buys an illegal weapon with only one use, whether it worked or not is totally irrelevant the intention was there.

5. Uther

Sgarrista

Firearms offences are 5 years inside. The fact that it didn't work might have had some bearing on the case, but he didn't know that, and he looks like a bit of a thug anyway so he's more than likely got previous.

6. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

Seems like he wasn't aware it wasn't functional, so basically he was caught with something he shouldn't have, something with no function other than to harm other people and got done accordingly.

Looking at other versions of the same story elsewhere it confirms what people have suggested above, that this man had a sizable record, changed his story from "I didn't know what I was buying" to that it was for self defense

So a man with a record as long as my arm, who owed money to what he describes as "dangerous people" in possession of a banned weapon: total case of fair, next.

7. VincentHanna

Capodecina

It didn't.

/Thread

8. Minusorange

Mobster

I don't think this is the point of the op though

I find there's some irony that if the dude had a Crossbow, a compound bow or even some form of medieval weaponry like a mace, axe or spear, or hell, even a chefs knife it would not be criminal

It's a bit ****** up really

This is legal

[​IMG]

This which doesn't even work puts you in jail for upwards of 10 years

[​IMG]

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

I've a hard time having any sympathy - it is hard to imagine he didn't know what he was buying or that he bought it idly.

On the other hand though one of those can easily be concealed the other you are going to be a bit obvious carrying it in your pocket!

10. Uther

Sgarrista

Well most things are legal until you admit to the police that you intend to hurt people with the said item.

11. Minusorange

Mobster

He wasn't carrying it around outside though and he didn't know it didn't work, which suggests he had no intention of using it unless it was an emergency

5 years just seems extreme, for possessing a broken stun gun, when he could have had any number of equally or potential more lethal weapons in his possession and it wouldn't have been a crime

12. Acme

Caporegime

Anything seems excessive for owning a broken stun gun. 5 years is absolutely incredulously ridiculous.

13. Uther

Sgarrista

Is a stun gun illegal? Yes, it is a prohibited firearm. Section 5 firearm I think.
    Is the punishment for having a prohibited firearm 5 years prison? Yes
    Did he intend to use it to hurt people? Yes
    Did he know it wouldn't work? No
    Is he probably a scumbag, and definitely an idiot? Yes
    Are the rules too strict in the UK? Possibly, but I am quite happy to have low levels of firearms crime. And I say that as a licence holder.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

Personally I think the rules are pretty much spot on - I mean I'd like to see some areas relaxed a bit but I can see sense in the way they are. What I find more of a problem is the catering for enthusiast shooters within the framework with the relatively low numbers of owners - for instance there used to be a decent rifle range near me but closed due to relatively low use and now the nearest range for something like that means a lot of travelling.

15. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

I'm really amazed this is even being discussed. Boggles the mind.

16. d_brennen

Capodecina

A: it hasn't

17. Meridian

Man of Honour

A perfect summation. Yes, it's section 5. For those who are not lawyers, section 5 weapons are ones are banned and which civilians may not have a licence to hold under any circumstances. The category also includes pepper sprays, CS sprays etc.

18. Paul_cz

Wise Guy

I find this utterly insane.

And to those saying he had priors and what not - ok, but he was apparently convicted for 5 years in jail, for having a stun torch in his home. Just...read that sentence again. How can anyone be ok with this, it boggles my mind.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Guy looks like a right chav, probably deserves it simply on looking like a bam. His reason for using as self-defence is what ****** him, he admitted to wanting to use it in the manner it was meant to be used.

Didn't matter if it was broken, didn't matter if it wouldn't have been used, he admitted the purpose and he's rightfully locked up. If he simply said he didn't know what it was, it probably would have stood, instead he told the truth like a good cretin.

20. D.P.

Caporegime

Because he was in possession of an illegal fire arm with an intent to use it , an offense that has 5years jail time. Quite simple really