• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do a ATI HD4570 512MB and a desktop 6800 128MB compare?

Soldato
hi all,

Is there anyway I can see benchmark comparisons between a desktop vanilla Geforce 6800 128MB and a laptop ATI HD4570 512MB that you know of please?

thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the OP means the Mobility 4570?

I dont think you'll get a direct comparison, but I would imagine that the 4570 will perform better..

Soldato
OP
Yea I was on about the mobility one which is why i've come across problems comparing the two I guess.

wow, I'm quite surprised! I'm not sure why i'm surprised seeing as my 6800's a lot older, but this new Dell laptop I ordered for myself last night has one of these Mobility 4570s which I just assumed to not be as good as a one-time market leader which I paid a lot for lol. One thing I assume about the 4570 is that it's DX10 though.

Soldato
Directx 10.1 is an incremental update to directx 10 designed solely to cause arguments between NVIDIA and ATi fanboys :p

It's mainly just optimisations and additions to dx10 which didnt make it into the final product which shipped with Vista

Soldato
Looking at 3dmark06 scores, it would seem the HD4570, which is essentially a desktop HD4550 scores about the same as a 6800.

Doom3 will run fine with max settings I'm sure.

The ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4570 from AMD is a DirectX 10.1 lower-middle-class notebook graphics adapter. Technically it is a faster clocked Mobility Radeon 4530/4330.

AMD specifies a slow 64 Bit memory bus, but some GPU-Z variants state a 128 Bit bus (should be an error).

The gaming performance of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 should be very similar to the desktop HD 4550 which features similar specifications. Benchmarks of the desktop card showed, that the most DirectX9 titles can be played fluently in high details and 1024x768 (like Call of Duty 4, F.E.A.R., UT3, World in Conflict). Demanding games like crysis only run in low-medium detail settings in decent frame rates.

The Mobility HD 4570 is based on the RV710 chip and features 80 stream processors (16 5-dimensional shader cores). These cores do the graphic work of the shader- and pixel pipelines of older GPUs. The stream processors are also called ALUs and are grouped in five-way VLIW units. Each of the five instructions of a VLIW bundle has to be independent from the others and therefore the performance depends on the optimization of the driver.

A speciality of the Radeon HD 4570 is the possibility to use ordinary DDR2 and DDR3 graphic memory (as a cheaper alternative to GDDR3). However, cards that use that kind of memory will be slower than others equipped with GDDR RAM.

The Mobility Radeon HD 4570 includes the Avivo HD called video technology including an onboard soundchip for 7.1 sound output over HDMI or DisplayPort and the 2nd generation UVD (Unified Video Decoder). This UVD 2 supports full bitstream decoding of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1 streams. In addition to this, it also supports dual video stream decoding and Picture-in Picture mode which makes the UVD full BD-Live compliant. Simplified, the Avivo HD technology handles all video tasks and enables the GPU to decode HD videos.

AMD published a current consumtion of about 12-15 Watt for the HD 4570. Still it is unclear if this value represents the chip alone or the whole mxm board including the memory (which would include about 5 Watt).

Compared to the desktop ATI Radeon HD 4550, the mobile 4570 features a higher core clock (680 versus 600) and therefore performs a bit better than the desktop 4650 (if the notebook manufacturer uses GDDR3 memory).

Last edited:
Soldato
I would probably expect, even with similar scores, that the 4570 would be a better in newer games (more shader power these days) etc. If we could find Vantage GPU scores for the both that might be more enlightening, as 06 doesnt really seem to benefit so much from newer architectures, either way the OP shouldnt be losing out, hes got the basic 6800, over say a GT/Ultra, and we've had a few generations in between, so a midrange chip by now should by all rights be faster/lots faster, even with a mobile chip which holds it back say one generation.

@Stokesfan - make sure it's plugged in when you play games; nearly all these setups slow down a lot on battery to conserve life!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for the input guys, i'm going to have a look to see if I can find Vantage GPU results now.

Alexrose - how do you mean unplugged? Do you mean the laptop's power conservation scheme may try to disable the GPU?

Soldato
Well presuming its a laptop, running off of battery :)
Laptop GPUs typically run much slower when they're not plugged in, to conserve battery power. It wouldnt get disabled, but it may run at say 290/400 instead of 580/800 :)

Back
Top Bottom