How do Ebay deal with counterfeit goods?

Soldato
After telling the seller I was just going to go to Ebay he's refunded me.
Apparently his supplier just refunded him after my pictures.

Obviously a lie, but his response confirms that they are indeed counterfeit.

Yep

A few years back I brought some WD drives of amazon, and I rushed the purchase and it came from a 3rd party.

The drives were functioning weird, and someone told me to check the serial's on WD's warranty checker, it came back as they not WD drives.

The give away was no NCQ support which was just weird, and they also were not 4k sectors.

Unfortunately for the seller his company is based in my city, I decided to turn up unannounced.

He was not there, he had 2 guys in an sort of open garage area building pc's, the conditions were really bad for a building environment, dirty and dusty, one of the guys got him on the mobile phone and we started talking. After about 5 minutes he realised I wasnt going to fall for it, so he said he would refund and the story provided for the warranty weirdness was that they were HP warranty instead.

I found the post I made on hardforum about it here. :)

https://hardforum.com/threads/wd-reds-changing-over-the-years-bait-and-switch.1917657/

I am pretty sure I lost data from it.

Data was copied to the drives, and wiped of source drives. I then noticed weird slow read performance (struggling to read data).

Data was then copied to new proper wd reds. But I suspect some data was lost as some videos and stuff I remember copying I can no longer find, and a few videos also got corrupted.

Caporegime
Still file a complaint with eBay otherwise he'll just carry on selling them and some other poor sod will get lumped with a fake.
Doubt it will do any good. I bought a clearly fake nokia charger from an ebay business power seller with 67,000 feedback.

Reported to Ebay and showed pics and proof (the English instructions were in Russian for starters). Ebay said i would have to return the fake item to get a refund. Seller was allowed to keep selling them (he had 1000's)

Soldato
Bought a mobile phone from a listed uk seller, the phone was meant to arrive within 2 days.

To cut it short the phone took a month to arrive, the shipping was from china. Emails went back and forth.
Contacted ebay and they didnt care.

Testing the phone, it didnt even score half of what it was meant to in benchmarks, contacted ebay again and told them it wasnt a genuine phone as advertised.....ebays solution was that i send it back to China.

I argued that they are advertising as uk sellers so why the hell should i send their fake crap back to china and be responsible if it goes missing.

I asked ebay to get the seller to send a courier to pick it up from my house as i didnt want to be responsible incase it gets lost or damaged.

Ebay refused saying it would cost the seller too much and said i would get paid for shipping it back to the seller by the seller.

I didnt agree and after talking to numerous ebay agents and the seller over weeks i agreed to send it to a friend of the sellers in the UK and got paid for the postage.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Soldato
I think eBay unfairly gets a bad rep for counterfeit items. I have made many purchases including very high end items including a Ferrari! And never had any problems whatsoever.

benedetto-bufalino-transforms-an-old-car-into-a-cardboard-ferrari-designboom-23.jpg

That is actually, brilliant

Soldato
My sister bought the complete friends boxset from ebay years ago. She was really happy with it, until I told her about what was written on the back.

The season 7 paragraph was about the film predator lol

Associate
Also I keep seeing newly released games for sale cheap included in a Uplay account, so it looks like they are hacked accounts, I have reported a couple of them but they did not get removed

Soldato
Also I keep seeing newly released games for sale cheap included in a Uplay account, so it looks like they are hacked accounts, I have reported a couple of them but they did not get removed

That reminds me i bought divinity original sin 2 from ebay and instead of a serial key the guy emails me log in details and says its only for offline mode. So basically he buys 1 code, creates an account with it and sells the account log in details to numerous people who can only use it offline

I reported him to ebay and the response i kept getting was that they cant refund me for purchased software. No matter who i got through to on ebay i was given the same response.

I managed to get a refund from the seller when i threatened to report him to steam(the platform where he created the account).

Soldato
I remember the good old days flogging counterfeit copies of Windows XP, Photoshop CS and Office 2003 on eBay. I was forever visiting the local market every few weeks for a cheap 100 disc spindle of CDs and jiffy envelopes, made a right killing and kept me in spendies through college. :p

The thing was that most people knew what they were buying, only got the odd person who would scream fake but I would promptly refund them just to shut them up. Doubt you could get away with it now.
Well done Lee... What an utterly useless post..... But cool story bro

Back
Top Bottom