How do I argue this fine?

Caporegime
Emergency situation, needed something urgently from hardware store. Pulled up, grabbed what I needed and watched officer start writing ticket. In panic I rushed back outside and explained the situation, needless to say this fell on deaf ears and he carried on writing. I got back in the car to drive off without the item I was in such a rush for (Denso tape to fix a pipe pouring in to my office, not that it matters) when he said the ticket had already been written. Admitting defeat I got back out the car and rushed in to the store. He clearly knew I was in a rush as he took the opportunity to affix his empty PCN envelope to my car for the photo.

I ignored it, as you do, why the hell would anyone chase up a non-existent fine? Stupid move, it arrived in the mail.

I have a few options here:

• Play the "broken procedure" card and hope they waive it.
  • Play the "empty envelope" card and hope they go back to £65 instead of £130 (which I'm more likely to succeed with).
  • Pay it all, eat bacon and get on with life (which goes against everything I stand for).

For clarification, I parked exactly where this black Prius is parked, on a Saturday morning, at about 9:30am, so not even close to outside of parking hours.

What say you motors?

Soldato
Why does it go against everything you stand for? From what you've described it sounds like you illegally parked your car in an area that clearly stated no loading at the time you parked then. You then received a PCN for doing so.

The fact you were in a rush, weren't there long, went to move your car is entirely irrelevant.

Soldato
For clarification, I parked exactly where this black Prius is parked, on a Saturday morning, at about 9:30am, so not even close to outside of parking hours.?

at 9.30am you parked in front of a sign that said no parking mon-sat between 8.30-10.00am and 4.00-6.30pm. It's pretty clear cut, imo. A leaky office doesnt grant you an exception as far as i know.

Soldato
Why does it go against everything you stand for? From what you've described it sounds like you illegally parked your car in an area that clearly stated no loading at the time you parked then. You then received a PCN for doing so.

The fact you were in a rush, weren't there long, went to move your car is entirely irrelevant.
This. Pay the fine you filthy criminal :mad:

Associate
Claim it on business expenses, if it was necessary to incur it in the carrying out of your duties.
Pay it and claim it back as an expense.

Don't believe a business is allowed to claim a parking Penalty Charge as a legitimate business expense. Or at least the business isnt allowed to claim it against HMRC and tax etc.
Having incurred a number of them in a previous career (fixing a buggered domain controller and exchange server at 3am for example to come out to a raft of tickets and a clamp)
*I am not a lawyer*

Soldato
Don't believe a business is allowed to claim a parking Penalty Charge as a legitimate business expense. Or at least the business isnt allowed to claim it against HMRC and tax etc.
Having incurred a number of them in a previous career (fixing a buggered domain controller and exchange server at 3am for example to come out to a raft of tickets and a clamp)
*I am not a lawyer*

An employer can pay an employee the cost of a parking fine but it isn't tax deductable and would be treated as a taxable benefit in kind to the employee.

If I was the employer though I'd be asking why the customer car park at the rear wasn't used :p

Soldato
I’d post it up on fightback forums and see if there’s any mistakes in the ticket. When they rush it, as they often do, they frequently make mistakes. I’ve got away with a couple that way.

Failing that, assuming you have some kind of proof of the pipe issue in the office, you could send them a letter apologising and explaining the situation, occasionally they can be more sympathetic in the council office than the traffic wardens are. Nothing to lose anyway so worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom