1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we sort our trains?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Aug 10, 2018.

1. jaybee

Mobster

I use South Western daily. Since they took over from South West Trains last summer things have gone down hill. I pay 5k a year for my ticket and due to the times I am able to travel due to flexible hours, I can always get a seat. It has become harder in the AM though.

When things run to time and work, the service is good and covers good distance for the time on my route. The trouble seems to be that they cannot cope with the slightest issue as everything runs at capacity. When a tiny issue occurs it quickly becomes a "try to avoid using SW at all today". Often it takes all of the next day to recover due to trains out of sequence.

The main annoyance is the constant "due to congestion" excuses which contribute to 10 -15 minute delays daily, both ways. Delay repay is awful and broken and unfair.

I've looked at getting a motorbike again but it wouldn't be any quicker plus risk, hassle, cba to stay alert for 3 hours a day, wet and cold winters etc.

2. Gigabit

Mobster

I think every train I get on sits for a solid 3-4 minutes outside Waterloo waiting for a platform.

3. mid_gen

Sgarrista

There is room for both. In Germany you have Deutsche Bahn running the core public service, it's cheap, regular and efficient. Then there are private operators in addition, like the Cologne Hamburg Express, Flixbus now run trains, and international operators like Thalys that go to Paris.

Paying 5k GBP for a point to point season ticket is a joke. 3k EUR gets you a 12 month completely unlimited rail pass across the whole country.

Local passes usually include benefits like being able to take an additional passenger with you for free on evenings and weekends.

Oh and when I pay 15 quid for a ticket to the local Bundesliga team, it includes train and tram travel to and and from the stadium.

Even my Gamescom ticket for next week includes the train ticket to Cologne and back.

4. D.P.

Caporegime

5K GBP, holy cow.

In Switzerland, 3800CHF (about 3K sterling even with that awful exchange rate) gets you an annual transport pass valid on all railways, buses, trams and boats. There is an apology announcement when a train is 1 minute late, no joke.

There was an announcement a few months back that the swiss railways accidentally made too much profit, so for the rest of the years costs have been lowered. The excess profit that has been made has to be invested in infrastructure.

I would love to see a UK train operator have to lower their prices because their profit margin was too high, and apologize when their trains were literally 1 minute late.

And like mid-glen, when i buy tickets to events I get free transport. For many, this is country wide so you can be on a 6 hour train ride for your 20CHF entry to a running race etc. If you stay in a hotel you often get completely free local transport as well.

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

A season ticket from plymouth to London is even worse, just under £20k for standard class, or £38k for first...

Admittedly you'd have to be crazy to do the daily travel for a standard working day, but still...

6. Freakbro

Capodecina

WTF....I just looked that up and yep £19,640 for an annual season ticket from Plymouth to London...******* hell :eek:

7. Gigabit

Mobster

My issue is it is very difficult to see where the blame lies on certain things. Is it Network Rail or the TOC. When my train sits outside Waterloo for five minutes waiting for a platform whose ****-up is that? It’s so frustrating as I can see the station but still end up being late.

8. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Aside from the recent and now largely resolved issues with Northern and Themes link, the vast majority of the issues are cause by faults on the network which are maintained by network rail. There are also a lot of delays which are nobody's fault like trespass, people driving into rail bridges and suicides.

The trains themselves are pretty reliable these days. Hell even when there are strikes on Greater Anglia they roll out all of their back office staff to man the trains so they can run a full service, can't complain there....

Today I was delayed home due to something getting caught in the overhead wires, not really something I can hold Great Northern to but I will still get my delay repay. I can certainly moan that it took network rail over 6 hours to start running services again but not exactly their fault as such today.

9. D.P.

Caporegime

There are direct comparisons to other countries with nationalized railways that offer better and cheaper services with greater efficiency

10. Dolph

Man of Honour

Which report are you basing this on? The most recent eu rmms report doesn't support the better or greater efficency arguments, and uk railways are some of the busiest passenger railways in the eu. Fares in the eu are cheaper, but their railways are not as well used by passengers.

https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/media-centre/press-releases/2017/469771615-2017-02-11.html

11. Orionaut

Soldato

so £50/railmile/Year. (Or thereabouts)

How does that compare with other annual season ticket prices on other shorter routes?

12. krooton

Capodecina

Well my ticket is a 12 mile one (Wimbledon to Weybridge).

So 24 miles a day, 8,760 per year if traveling every day.

£1,940 for an annual, so 22p per rail mile. (unless I worked that our wrong)

13. Orionaut

Soldato

Your definition of rail mile is different to mine. You are doing total railmiles over a year assuming a given number of journeys, I am using total Cost of ticket/length of one return journey, so your ticket is nearer £80/Railmile/Year by my definition. A good bit more expensive in fact than the longer journey. (Which is what I was expecting ;) )

14. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

What as privatisation done for the rail industry in UK?

I don't use the trains. But everytime I see them mentioned its always prices going up, or train capacity at the maximum.

What actual investments are the companies making in the trains? Why can't they either buy bigger trains or buy more trains to ease capacity?

15. Dolph

Man of Honour

The problem is the restrictions are on the track, not rolling stock, and that is nationally owned. The main ways to increase capacity are to build new lines and improve signalling etc, which has nothing to do with the tocs and is the sole domain of network rail.

16. StriderX

Capodecina

Not sure how you solve that... you can't really have free reign on something like rail lines, there has to be a rather strict ruleset so there isn't any stupid divergences in the tracks ability to host competitor carts or multiple lines making a mess of things.

17. Dolph

Man of Honour

A quick look at things like HS2 shows the single biggest problem with investing in the rails. Everyone wants it from a distance, no one wants it actually near them.

People then moan about lack of investment, completely missing the reason why.

18. FTM

Soldato

poach the controllers from India..they seem to manage a far busier network far more efficiently!

19. Gigabit

Mobster

Well they don’t as they don’t own the trains.

20. Gigabit

Mobster

There have been more strikes in the short history of the SWR franchise than on the entire BR network in the last decade of its life.