1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we sort our trains?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gigabit, Aug 10, 2018.

1. asim18

Capodecina

We sort our trains by reducing the need to commute lol. It's as simple as that.

People living next to a Tesco are having to travel 5 miles to work at, another Tesco. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. 75% of ALL "commuting" which occurs right now is completely and utterly pointless.

2. asim18

Capodecina

Commuting also spreads disease like the flu and herpes thus increases burden on health services.

Everybody should be forced to work within 3 miles of where they live, and should be forced to walk there, unless it's exceptional circumstances on an individual case basis.

Cant believe anyone would accept a railway. "oh hey I want to build you a railway so you can go into that other town and work", and then the same salesman goes to the other town and tells the people living there the same thing, top salesman is now laughing while sheep go commuting back and forth completely pointlessly like headless chickens and train-salesman gets 30% of everyone's wages because people think he's done them a favour.

3. Monkeynut

Soldato

Seems quite authoritarian - For example, I could work at HSS Hire 2 miles down the road, but instead I work somewhere similar 10 miles away because they pay time and a half overtime, have a better working culture and less chavs trying to get kit for free. So, under what you're suggesting, I would be worse off.

4. krooton

Capodecina

Yep, I work in Surrey, live in Tottenham, but am happy to commute as I love my job, my colleagues, and I am well paid.

I'd much rather commute to a job I like than live next door to one I hate.

5. El Pew

Wise Guy

The problem here is what's called the 'loading gauge' of the UK rail network, which is basically the size of the box you can put on top of the wheels and still clear potential obstacles. It's not just a question of raising bridges (of which there are thousands), there's miles of Victorian-era tunnels that would have to be re-dug, it's also raising the height of catenary towers on electrified sections of the track, as well as rebuilding stations to be able to accomodate the new rolling stock. It would cost a fortune, be massively disruptive to the network, and not result in as much of a capcity increase as you might think - carriages must have extensive single-decker sections at each end in order to cater for disability legislation requirements and emergency evacuation regulations, so you only end up with about a 50% increase in passenger numbers per carriage and not 100%.

Plus, there are timetabling issues - it takes longer to disembark passengers from more densely packed trains, so timetables have to be looser to deal with this, which erodes potential capacity gains.

There's been loads of experiments of the years with this and it seems to be something that the railways are perpetually looking in to, but I wouldn't expect to see them any time soon.

6. asim18

Capodecina

Yes, but people still have to do the "other job". Or does everyone just live in their own bubble these days? From my perspective couldn't care less about who's doing what job lol i see cleaners cleaning toilets the same Mark Zuckerberg, i bet the toilet cleaner is a better human being.

Also, krooton, people still can live near where they work, just swap houses instead of swapping jobs lol ;). Commuting is completely pointless false economy. More and more people having to rely on pointless movement between point a and point b just makes the problem worse and increases the size of potential catastrophe, not to mention massive milkage of our finite earth resources. And we seem to be establishing it EVEN more lol, then when the current system is stretched to the limits, we still won't alleviate the CAUSE of the problem which is to reduce reliance on needless travel.

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

Easier said than done - so many people in different circumstances - for instance a job I used to do was only a mile away but down a mainroad out of town without a proper walkway and working at night meant it was far safer to travel in a vehicle. And then you've got parents who might not get their choice of schools or live in outlying parts, etc. and no choice but to take their kids to school by car - should they then go all the way home, park up and walk to work?

8. krooton

Capodecina

My wife works in Chelmsford, so we are actually equidistant from eachother's place of work :p

9. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I was watching a video yesterday of people having to tip a tram back and forth to get it moving as it was overcrowded and stuck. What a crap show. Seriously.

This is what happens with the public-private partnerships that the government have said they aren't going to do anymore. It's led to a limbo disaster.

It makes me wonder where is it going to end. Passenger numbers will continue to increase and from the outside of this situation it looks like nobody is actually doing anything, just complaining on one side and putting up prices on the other.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Ironic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46476431

11. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I was just reading this story today and thought of this thread.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...te-piccadilly-station-tonight-scores-15526514

12. StriderX

Capodecina

I wonder how much transport chaos could actually play into British society literally just collectively giving up?

13. Dolph

Man of Honour

Any review being conducted with pre-established conclusions is largely pointless, you rule things out based on evaluating evidence, not before starting gathering it.