How do you cache WU's? like in the golden olden days?

Soldato
With BOINC is there an easy way of queuing up WU's? AS atm I am not WU less due to the problems with the SETI servers.

I would like to avoid this in future as the Uni network isn't the most reliable and I regularly have downtimes :)

Cheers

Caporegime
I have the same problem, I've set my network connection to 6 days but still only get a max of 20 WU's which is only one days worth.

Associate
what version of boinc are you guys using, from version 5.x.x the part of the program that works out the time it takes to crunch a wu is much more accurate, this goes a long way to helping. ( you ask for 6 days work-you will get most of it )

Babyface UK

Soldato
I don't see how you can't grab enuff wu's.
Mine is set to 7 days because of flaky servers, and I hardly ever run out of wu's

I use BOINC 5.2.13 and the only thing I do is make sure results are reported, and if they aren't, manually update the client

Soldato
BOINC does say the computer is over committed, but I have no issues...
I also use the modified/enhanced BOINC client, if that makes any difference. I must say I only get about 20 wu's, but that's a week worth for my system!

Associate
Amp34 said:
Im running the latest client (5.2.13) but whatever length of time i set over 2 days i only ever get a maximum of 20 WU.

Is your computer connected to the net all the time, as you download wu's in 20 chunks, wait 10mins then you will get another 20 wu's and so on.

Babyface UK

Caporegime
Yes it is, no matter how long i wait the only time it starts downloading new ones is when completed ones are uploaded. I had a look at the prefs for diskspace etc on seti but they seem fine, its just a little confusing. This happpens on both my machines, one has a 30GB partition, the other 5 so space isnt the issue.

Caporegime
About 1.3 gigs with one BBC and 20 seti Wu's (bbc taking up about 1.1).

I have general prefs set to:
  • use no more than 3GB of disk space
  • leave 0.5GB free (2.2GB on my smallest disk at the mo)
  • Use no more than 70% of disk space (which is a min of about 3 gigs)

I know its not a huge amount of disk space but its far bigger than what is needed. 2 Gigs would be big enough for about 200 seti WU's at least.

Associate
Amp34 said:
About 1.3 gigs with one BBC and 20 seti Wu's (bbc taking up about 1.1).

I have general prefs set to:
  • use no more than 3GB of disk space
  • leave 0.5GB free (2.2GB on my smallest disk at the mo)
  • Use no more than 70% of disk space (which is a min of about 3 gigs)

I know its not a huge amount of disk space but its far bigger than what is needed. 2 Gigs would be big enough for about 200 seti WU's at least.
If I read that right, you got 200 megs for s@h which is enough for 500+ odd units, try setting seti to not download anymore work, then when its done its cache detach from the project, go into C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects and delete the s@h folder ( backup the Boinc folder first if unsure ), then reattach to the project. I think Boinc thinks you have losts more seti wus than you do have lookins at the amount of disk space your using for seti.

Babyface UK

Caporegime
babyface uk said:
If I read that right, you got 200 megs for s@h which is enough for 500+ odd units, try setting seti to not download anymore work, then when its done its cache detach from the project, go into C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects and delete the s@h folder ( backup the Boinc folder first if unsure ), then reattach to the project. I think Boinc thinks you have losts more seti wus than you do have lookins at the amount of disk space your using for seti.

Babyface UK

Sorry i think i went over the top as it was a guestimate (as this PC doesnt have any seti WU's at the mo, i just had a look at the other pc and its showing 11 mb which sounds about right.

Associate
i'm out of ideas i'm afraid, short of a complete uninstall/reinstalled of Boinc. Might as well stick it out until seti sort there servers out and see ifs theres any improvement then.

Babyface UK

Associate
Are you running any optimised stuff?

If your running the standard boinc and an optimised seti client then your benchmarks will be lower than the speed your crunching wu's so the seti site will think that a few wu's should last you long enough when your getting through them quickly with an optimised client.

I wouldn't have thought that would make such a huge difference, but you never know.

It'll also throw off your credit cause boinc will be expecting you to take say 2 hours when it only takes like an hour so it will claim half the amount of credit cause it thinks you've done half the amount of work.

If this is the case simply get some optimised boinc files as well and re-run benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom