How do you dispose of old coolant from loop?

Soldato
Hi guys.

Just took apart my old loop, drained out coolant and put in new Vega64 with EK FC and backplate. I redid all the PETG tubing and refilled with new coolant but I have a question regarding the old coolant. Where do you dispose of it? It's obviously a no no pouring away down the drain, so where can I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Soldato
Unless you're using some kind of exotic cooling, isn't everything organic, non-toxic and biodegradable? I've not heard anything about not pouring coolant down the drain.

Edit: depends on the coolant it seems. Mayhems Pastel, for instance, contains Zinc Oxide and that stuff doesn't go down the drain.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, rephrase in the form of a question: doesn't Zinc Oxide become toxic in the water treatment plant when the waste water is processed? All the extra chemical reactions turns out some nasty stuff.

Plus Mayhems are still putting the toxicity warning on their bottles...

Ultimately though you're agreeing with the point/question I asked further up the thread: aren't fluids biodegradable now? Answer: check your specific coolant because you'll still get some weird ingredients.

Soldato
OK, rephrase in the form of a question: doesn't Zinc Oxide become toxic in the water treatment plant when the waste water is processed?
If you like, I'll pop next door and ask if Zinc Oxide at less than 0.1% concentration causes them any problems...?
I assume you're not dumping hundreds of gallons down the sewer?

Soldato
Just went and ssked them anyways, cuz I wanna know...

It's apparently a principle component of calamine lotion, which obviously does get washed down the drains... but the less of this stuff they get in the system, the better.

I can tell you it's no major risk to the treatment works or any assets themselves unless it's over 2.5%, for which you'll need either a Trade Effluent discharge consent or a lot of money to pay the fine... but since a number of sewers outfall to waterways and Zinc Oxide carries a serious pollution risk to aquatic life, we would STRONGLY advise against tipping even a 0.1% solution down the drain.

In short, not down the sewers or drains, please!
You're probably best off looking at your local council's policy/solution on disposing of paints, solvents and the like. Chuck it back into the original container and put the whole lot into whatever bin the council designate for it.

Soldato
In short, not down the sewers or drains, please!
You're probably best off looking at your local council's policy/solution on disposing of paints, solvents and the like.

This nonsense is getting ridiculous, it's a FOOD ADDITIVE. The entire reason companies like Mayhems, EK, etc make PC specific coolants is to provide a safe non toxic/dangerous alternative to the glycol based regular coolants PC water coolers used previously.

Back
Top Bottom