How do you know how much power a drive uses?

Associate
my missus has a Ideq N1 biostar socket 754 with a mobile sempron 3300+ 2ghz, 1.25gb Ram, 250gb Sata, 8500GT 256mb, usb adaptor(pci slot, but looks just like a cable rather than card??) and all powered by a 220w supply..

untill i can get something better for her, i want to upgrade her N1 where i can and so far i upped the Ram from 768mb it came with to 1.25gb and removed a card reader it came with to look into a 2nd HDD and this is where the question in hand comes in..

looking up specs and reading reviews on Newegg(even though years old), someone said about the need to upgrade the PSU to support 2 HDD and as far as i know these N1 systems come with 220w and so im wanting to know how do you tell how much power a HDD uses?? :confused:

it would be a IDE drive due to the layout as it supports 2 sata's, but for where the 2nd drive can go it be easier to fit a IDE cable and unless her mobo can support better than the 8500gt, only the Ram will get further increased to its maximum of 2gb..

the HDD wont be that big either like a 40gb or 80gb as i want to get her win7 32bit(to replace vista 32bit HP SP1) to boot on it so it frees up her 250gb for herself like.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
OP
there might be a 40gb from an old computer i could use if compatible otherwise its only a cost of 6-10 pound for 40 or 80 in the shops used which is nothing really, i spent 12 on 1gb of pc3200 lol.. she has like 170gb left on her sata, but because i brought it used and for 30 quid there are no discs, so i would have to buy a new OS, but i like the idea of a small HDD for the OS and other system stuff and a larger one for whatever, but as a SSD is pricey and might not be compatible and connecting a 2nd sata would be fiddly do to location, only an IDE is suitable as its right next to the PSU with the connectors and close to the IDE power on the mobo.

Back
Top Bottom