How do you organise your mobile phone photos?

Soldato
Phone backs up to Dropbox which syncs with my symbology which backs up to synology cloud.

that’s four copies and it’s all automatic. It would have to be one hell of a disaster not to recover from that.

Soldato
I find the Android discover function useful for viewing photos ,ie the way it sorts same face into same album ,same with objects and locations ect ect ,back up wise i use google drive but not automatically

Screenshot-20200513-074502-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Soldato
Google Photo's is so powerful... and so handy when you have/use multiple devices. That is one thing I'd like actually, filter by what device the photos were taken on... or so I thought... I've just google'd this and as long as you get the exact text stored in the information panel of one of the photos, it works! (For example, my OnePlus 8 Pro is listed as 'OnePlus IN2023')

Jeez, Google Photos gets better and better! (Well, I mean my understanding of it does!)

Also, I use Albums to keep things organised.

Soldato
I've got digital photos going back to 1999 - so have had to work out a decent system, which has been modified over the years.

I use Dropbox - although I could easily substitute this for any other backup service - I like to stay device independent. I have a paid account with 2tb of cloud storage. My wife, and my kids all have free accounts. All the accounts Camera Uploads are shared with mine so they all aggregate into mine.

I then keep a 'Photos' folder, which is broken down into Year, then into Month inside the year. Every few months (when the free accounts reach their limit) I aggregate all the photos from Camera Uploads into this photos folder.

The photos folder is synced onto my main PC and my server. I also have it backed up to an external hard drive. I lost some photos in 2007 due to a failed hard drive. Never having that happen again.

Soldato
Excellent.
I have my own fileserver at home with internal and external backups. This free google storage is nice in case something happened and I lost all my own copies, they are not lost completely.

Soldato
I use Dropbox

Wow! To me that sounds a lot of work for something that Google does for free! :) As long as you're happy though I guess :)

I also use Dropbox, but not for organising photos, just for syncing them from phone to PC. Mind you, now the free accounts can only be on 3 devices it's quite a pain in the botty and I use Google Photo's more for that too.

Depends how precious you are about your photos.

How do you mean? The compression? Our family pays for Google One, so no compression and still a generally more convenient option to Dropbox I would say...

Soldato
Wow! To me that sounds a lot of work for something that Google does for free! :) As long as you're happy though I guess :)

I also use Dropbox, but not for organising photos, just for syncing them from phone to PC. Mind you, now the free accounts can only be on 3 devices it's quite a pain in the botty and I use Google Photo's more for that too.

How do you mean? The compression? Our family pays for Google One, so no compression and still a generally more convenient option to Dropbox I would say...
You pay for Google, I pay for Dropbox. They do identical things and cost exactly the same. I just prefer to keep my data independent from Apple / Google. In the long run I think it's worth it.

The way I organise the photos after they've been synced to my machine is my own take - which again is independent of where the photos come from. I can drop photos from phones, cameras and multiple people into the same location.

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, probably too many things for me to list them all. Some of the things I use regularly -
  • Image improvement (this works surprisingly well, colour balance, white balance, exposure etc)
  • Searching as explained above, by person, item, device used and more
  • Sync's across unlimited devices (granted, the paid version of Dropbox probably does this I assume? But even the free version of Google Photos does this)
  • Auto creates albums and videos based on my content from a trip or day (again, works surprisingly well and you can obviously make changes you might want to)
  • Joint/shared albums, so when you go to an event with friends, add them in and you all contribute to the album
  • Album features like locations, maps and titles and headings
  • Scroll using a date slider, to get to specific dates and times
These are just the features I use regularly, there might be more. Maybe you don't want them, sure, as I say, you're happy which is important, but to say they do identical things isn't true (as far as I'm aware).

Back
Top Bottom