How do you pay for upgrades/builds?

Associate
When you decide you're going to upgrade/build do you save up your pennies, then whatever you've saved you use to upgrade? Or do you set a budget depending on upgrade/build route you're taking, credit card it, then pay the hardware off afterwards? Or I guess bit of both?

Soldato
Save whatever cash is needed for what I want, avoid using a credit card.

Computer components on credit could be a dangerous game I imagine?

Normally, there is a compromise between what I "want" and what I can "afford". Just because you can put something on a credit card does not mean you can "afford" it.

Associate
The good ol fashioned way and save, I have only bought one thing on my credit card because it was a great deal and I had half the money anyway just waited a few weeks to pay it off.

Edit: Credit cards can be good if used sensibly, just have to make sure you pay back ASAP

Associate
The good ol fashioned way and save, I have only bought one thing on my credit card because it was a great deal and I had half the money anyway just waited a few weeks to pay it off.

Edit: Credit cards can be good if used sensibly, just have to make sure you pay back ASAP

If its 0% you could purchase what you want, set the DD to minimum payment, then make overpayments when you can to clear.
You are better off putting the majority of purchases on one.
I do all my monthly spending on an Avios card.

Associate
If its 0% you could purchase what you want, set the DD to minimum payment, then make overpayments when you can to clear.
You are better off putting the majority of purchases on one.
I do all my monthly spending on an Avios card.
Like Dave said, 0% credit card for 32months and they pay off by direct debit. But still I buy only things that I can afford.

Associate
Everything on CC for me but only if I can pay it off immediately... I know I'd forget to switch if using 0% for ages and end up paying over the odds when the rate went up. That, and interest rates are so low on savings it's not a huge lost opportunity cost.

Soldato
I generally build in stages, over a month or 3 to spread cost, current build used hdds, case and PSU from the outgoing build so I bought cpu, ram and mobo.
Then ran on inboard graphics for a bit whilst I got the money together for a gpu.

Wasn't too bad as I used the time to dial in the CPU overclock, get everything set up and optimised etc.

Associate
Always use a credit card for online payments as it give protection against anything going wrong.

I have a direct debit set up to pay mine off in full every month, so I don't care what the APR is as it dosn't affect me.

In addition I have a credit card that pays cash-back on every purchase, so I get a discount on each purche too - paid anually in December.

Just make sure you have enough funds available each month to meet the direct debit and it's sorted ;)

Associate
OP
Part of the problem I find is what I want to spend (least amount possible), often doesn't correlate to what's good value for money, or better value for money over the long term. E.g. I bought a 4690k a few years ago, but wish I'd paid a little more for the 4790k.

Soldato
Part of the problem I find is what I want to spend (least amount possible), often doesn't correlate to what's good value for money, or better value for money over the long term. E.g. I bought a 4690k a few years ago, but wish I'd paid a little more for the 4790k.

That one is always tricky. I have upgraded the CPU but not motherboard in my last machine and since AM4 is good for another 2 generations of Ryzen CPU I will likely do it again in future for my current machine. Both times I was lucky to buy the initial components just after a new socket came out.

Associate
I have the approach: do i want, or do i need
And do my hardest to qualify stuff in ,,i do not need''
So i always have money as i never overspend
Will never get a credit card
But some things are inevitable and i have a mortgage

Back
Top Bottom