1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you secure your Motorbike?

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Greg, May 25, 2018.

1. Greg

Sgarrista

Ok, I'm looking into the future here. I've not even completed my CBT (which is booked for next Friday, 1st) and my Theory is booked for the 7th. I'm not interested in buying a 125 and will be looking to spend a bit of time building up my experience on a bigger bike and doing my Direct Access Course.

Thinking into the future, once I've passed and bought a motorbike I'm thinking about where to secure it. I live in a Victorian terrace house with a parking space to the rear accessed by the communal alleyways. The space is big enough for my 1 Series but not big enough to have a bike in there comfortably so I'm looking at making some alterations (I.e. landscaping) so I can secure but does anyone else share the same trouble?

I have an outhouse but this is 1) for my gardening things and 2) not practical to be moving a motorbike in and out all the time. Surely I can't be the only one in this situation, anyone got any ideas?

Willing to post a photograph of my garden for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

2. unKle

Wise Guy

I used to live in a Victorian terraced, had no garage, but had a rear alleyway access to my back garden. Was a real faff getting the bikes in and out (especially the GSXR1000 I owned at that time), had to lift the back end round to get it in and out. But it was chained to a pole that was concreted into the ground and covered up.

Alternatively I used to park it under the window outside front of my house, problem with that was everyone parked on the kerb and inevitably someone would block me in, they could live two roads away and I would be knackered trying to get my bike out.

If you can make alterations that would make access easier for you getting in and out of the rear then I would go for that, less eyes on the prize and all that.

3. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

I'm slightly confused by this bit - How can you get a hoofing great BMW cage in there, but not a dinky little 125 bike?

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

I'm going to guess he's not replacing the beemer but adding a bike alongside.

5. arfoll

Wise Guy

Get your priorities straight! Outhouse sounds perfect for the bike.

Seriously though are you sure length wise there isn't enough space for car & bike? I did this in an underground car park with a big bike and a bigger car than a 1er for a year and it's ok. Security wise it's not ideal but I find cars make good anchor points :D

6. Greg

Sgarrista

So as you guys have correctly pointed out, I'll be keeping my 1 series and trying to store a bike in the same area.

I was thinking about maybe taking out this 'bench' type thing I have and using that side to secure the bike or maybe even making my own shed? what do you think? I guess it ultimately depends what bike I get but if i took out the entire boarder and put bricks down I could use the wall as an anchor point? Victorian garden walls are pretty solid, right?
    https://ibb.co/gq8mT8
    https://ibb.co/hnJLo8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Diddums

Capodecina

Kick the wife into the outhouse and put the bike in the room tbh.

8. EVH

Don

Construct a metal frame and build a ramp above the car. Win.

9. TallPaul_S

Soldato

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There you go :)

That seconds pic, is that with the BMW parked as far to the left as possible? There might be enough space for a shed/metal garage if you got rid of the bench/bin/veggie patch. Have a measure remembering to take into account door opening.

A simpler option would be to put the bike behind the car at a 90 degree angle, looks like there's enough room for that?

10. Greg

Sgarrista

Yea, it's as far over as it can pretty much get. I'm thinking of riping this all up and laying some more slate/bricks down and using that as the parking spot. Think that wall would be sufficient for an anchor point? It's probably been there a hundred years or so.

11. tom_e

Man of Honour

I wouldn't use the wall bricks will spilt pretty easily, if you're ripping up the plants and laying slabs just sink a massive lump of concrete into the floor and concrete the anchor in.

12. Greg

Sgarrista

I see. /googles how to mix and pour concrete!!!!

13. EVH

Don

Even with the bike positioned where the veggie patch is, there doesn’t look like enough room to get the bike out without moving the car.

Do you normally close the gates?