How do you securely backup your Movies?

Associate
I'm a little lost here.... I have a mixture of 7 internal and external hard drives, all full of movies that I've "legally" backed up

I'm worried about my hard drives failing and would like to add some form of backup.

I do own something called stablebit drivepool, but I'm thinking transfering 100s of movies would take many many weeks!

What do you advise to do?

:)

Soldato
Unless this has changed, I think you will find that there is no way to legally back up your films in the UK. You will be breaking copywrite law of the UK.

This originally came in around 2003 I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29448058

You can make copies of your own media as a backup.

OP: Hard to say really. Assuming there's multiple TB's of data then there's no particularly easy solution to make a backup, not without a lot of cost or time uploading.

Associate
To disc + a single copy of each on 1 hdd, that's what i'd do. I don't bother buying digital movies as backups are too costly, money and time wise.

Burn a few reliable discs a day, you'll soon get through them.

Soldato
You've got 3 choices.

1) You rip them from the original source again

2) You pay for cloud storage

3) You buy additional hard drives (or other storage mediums) to copy your data to.

Option 1 will take the most time, whereas option 2 and 3 will cost you money.

Man of Honour
You've got the original discs, there's your backup.

Th other option is to buy something like a NAS with a few large drives in and hook that up to your network or get really slow and pricy with cloud based stuff.

Man of Honour
So if the physical media gets damaged or destroyed the backup is no longer legal?
Pretty sure the rule is as long as you own the physical media you can have a "backup", if you don't you can't. To stop people ripping copies and then just selling the original on, although obviously doesn't really work in the true sense of a backup.

Soldato
Pretty sure the rule is as long as you own the physical media you can have a "backup", if you don't you can't. To stop people ripping copies and then just selling the original on, although obviously doesn't really work in the true sense of a backup.
I suspect with torrenting so easy, the days of people buying dodgy copies might be long gone.

Associate
OP
I have 2x movie setups in my house TV and projector in the loft.

I think I'm going to mirror downstairs hard drives with upstairs, yes I will physically have to take the data upstairs for backup, but it stops having to use things like Plex etc

:)

Associate
What windows software would mirror my drives?

Stablebit that you have is perfect for this, simply set up the amount of redundancy you want and it will do the rest.

If a drive fails, you replace, if the PC dies, all the data on the drives is easily accessible. If PC gets replaced, simply pop the drives in and re-install stablebit and it will be back how it was.

I use the software for various things it's excellent.

Back
Top Bottom