How does religion work in schools today?

Soldato
I'm not ignorant, I've read the bible. Also studied multiple other religions and I was a practicing Buddhist up until a few years ago.

I just think in general religion is a bad thing that brings absolutely zero benefit to society. It holds us back, causes wars and hatred and quite aside from anything else is a gigantic waste of precious time.

"Oh look, we sat in the extravagant church, give the priest some money and listened to the sermon, what good people we are" and according to that faith the homosexual bloke halfway round the world helping impoverished people get out of the living hell they are in is a sinner and he's going to burn in hell.

Religion fools people into thinking they're doing good without actually having to do it, it disconnects them with reality - harsh as it is and contributes nothing meaningful to the world.

I can see your point of view and at times will share it. I myself am agnostic, I would prefer to wait and see whats after. If thats nothing then fair enough. I don't believe I will go to hell for saying that I dont believe in any god unles I see it for myself, I am a kind soul who treats others fairly and the point above about the socalled "sinner" being condemned because of his sexuality is. one reason why I think christianity and other religions have backwards views and that some of the people practicing it try to force their views on others.

I have nothing against religion, keep practicing it, keep you backwards views. But the moment a religion tries to force itself on me it can go to hell, too many time have I seen a guy walking through the street shouting to passers by saying "believe in god or burn in hell you ******" (okay not an exact quote but still). Some religions even try to say that their views are the only true views in the world and others are mistaken and mislead, some even try to alter laws in other countries to suit them better, at the detrement of the native populace. ;)

to sum up.
I think religion has a place, but forcing it on others is wrong, not that schools realy force it on you. kids dont listen anyways.

Soldato
If you are that against religion, why invest quite a bit of time reading / studying religion? Then going on to practice it?

It's just a question. Just seems like a waste of time.
How can I know what I do and do not believe in if I know nothing about it?

Brings me back to my point, I wonder how many devout Christians actually know anything about their religion - let alone any other religions. It had always made me laugh when vicars refer to their church as their "flock" and talk of shepherding the sheep, well, quite.

I can see your point of view and at times will share it. I myself am agnostic, I would prefer to wait and see whats after. If thats nothing then fair enough. I don't believe I will go to hell for saying that I dont believe in any god unles I see it for myself, I am a kind soul who treats others fairly and the point above about the socalled "sinner" being condemned because of his sexuality is. one reason why I think christianity and other religions have backwards views and that some of the people practicing it try to force their views on others.

I have nothing against religion, keep practicing it, keep you backwards views. But the moment a religion tries to force itself on me it can go to hell, too many time have I seen a guy walking through the street shouting to passers by saying "believe in god or burn in hell you ******" (okay not an exact quote but still). Some religions even try to say that their views are the only true views in the world and others are mistaken and mislead, some even try to alter laws in other countries to suit them better, at the detrement of the native populace. ;)

to sum up.
I think religion has a place, but forcing it on others is wrong, not that schools realy force it on you. kids dont listen anyways.
I disagree, I think to believe in any religion is absurd but Christianity is one of the most baffling ones.

"You'll burn in hell with your nonexistent molecular structure if you don't believe in this religion, this religion alone"

The key to the success of Christianity has always been the childhood conditioning, highly reminiscent of Aldous Huxleys "A Brave New World" whereby people are predestined and conditioned to think and act in a certain way in spite of logic and not given a choice otherwise.

You must have "faith" to believe in spite of logic after all.

Last edited:
Soldato

totally agree, you cant make an informed decision without study and a decent amount of research. Such is the methodology of scientific research.

I disagree, I think to believe in any religion is absurd but Christianity is one of the most baffling ones.

"You'll burn in hell with your nonexistent molecular structure if you don't believe in this religion, this religion alone"

The key to the success of Christianity has always been the childhood conditioning, highly reminiscent of Aldous Huxleys "A Brave New World" whereby people are predestined and conditioned to think and act in a certain way in spite of logic and not given a choice otherwise.

As I said religion is a backwards viewset in my opinion. But I also believe in equality and the right to choose. Indoctrination does happen here and there even if I am unaware, I am sure it happens somewhere.

When Isaid kids dont listen and dont get indoctrinated by schools is because I was using the UK as a basis. As others have stated: the indoctination has to come from home and school, otherwise other influences will go against what the church is trying to teach.

Soldato
As I said religion is a backwards viewset in my opinion. But I also believe in equality and the right to choose. Indoctrination does happen here and there even if I am unaware, I am sure it happens somewhere.

When Isaid kids dont listen and dont get indoctrinated by schools is because I was using the UK as a basis. As others have stated: the indoctination has to come from home and school, otherwise other influences will go against what the church is trying to teach.
I disagree, indoctrination by the schools and the parents claiming to be a christian family (even if lapsed) is plenty.

When I was at school they made you pray in assembly, they made you listen to cliff ****ing richard, made a big hullabaloo about christmas and never touched on anything else.

And worst of all religious education was 95% Christianity and they might brush over Judaism a bit. Wouldn't touch Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Paganism.

That in itself is fundamentally wrong. I didn't go to a catholic school or anything, that was a bog standard state school - I'd hate to see what it would be like elsewhere.

Soldato

I know it seemed like a silly question. I am an atheist and I made my mind up quite early on but still had an open mind to learning things. Just from going through education and the odd bits you encounter in everyday life (Xmas, Weddings, Easter) was enough for me to come to a similar conclusion as you. I guess what I was trying to say is that reading the bible, practicing a religion, etc. just seems a little excessive.

I guess where we differ is if I have no interest in something it will get very little if any of my attention. Where as you still give it a chance. Comendable.

Soldato
I disagree, indoctrination by the schools and the parents claiming to be a christian family (even if lapsed) is plenty.

When I was at school they made you pray in assembly, they made you listen to cliff ****ing richard.

And worst of all religious education was 95% Christianity and they might brush over Judaism a bit. Wouldn't touch Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Paganism.

That in itself is fundamentally wrong. I didn't go to a catholic school or anything, that was a bog standard state school - I'd hate to see what it would be like elsewhere.

well i was lucky to be in an RE class that ignored christianity because they believed that " what s the point ni teaching you what you wanna know."

and I agree RE is boring enough without them sticking to one finite subject. As with anything it depends where you were taught, I guess I was lucky to only be in a catholic school for like 2 years before moving house.

Back
Top Bottom