How does this lot look?

Associate
Evening!

I've not built a base unit for some time so I'd appreciate a bit of help on a new build I'm planning.

The main uses will be photo editing, a small amount of video editing and then office/internet. I don't really play any graphic intensive games, well except a bit of Civ II every now and then ;)

After reading around a bit, i've come up with this, although i'm not sure if I want a Q660 or an E2180.

order.jpg

My current system is an XP1700+, Nf7-S, 1GB PC3200, Radeon 9700 and an antec case with a 430W TruePower.

Is any of this lot salvageable? Not sure if the PSU is any good for the spec above.

Looking to spend around maybe £400. I already have Sata HDs.

What do you think? Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Associate
Looks good for the price. What're you planning to do in terms of a graphics card?

I'd recommend you get a new PSU, my 430w TruePower died after serving me for 5ish years and I went and bought a Corsair 520w PSU, well worth the money.

Soldato
I think that's really good. I've read that the Abit IP35 is a good mobo too. Are you sticking with the Radeon 9700 for the time-being? If so, I think the PSU will be ok. However I think you'll start to play a lot more games with this system! It should fly! :D

Associate
OP
However I think you'll start to play a lot more games with this system! It should fly! :D

Please don't say that, I'm in the final year of a degree! :( ;)

Ok so I need to look for a new PSU.

As for the gfx card, I'll either stick with the 9700 if I can or go with something cheapish around £40 or so.

Associate
Please don't say that, I'm in the final year of a degree! :( ;)

Ok so I need to look for a new PSU.

As for the gfx card, I'll either stick with the 9700 if I can or go with something cheapish around £40 or so.

The 9700 is AGP correct? The new motherboard is PCI-e, meaning it won't work in it so you'll have to upgrade that too :(

Soldato
The 9700 is AGP correct? The new motherboard is PCI-e, meaning it won't work in it so you'll have to upgrade that too :(

Good spot, I just blindly assume everyone is PCI-E now. /slaps wrist. :p

Well, to the OP, I guess a new PSU and Gfx card that would compliment that rig could be something like...

OCZ GameXStream 600w PSU - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-018-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=148 - £70.49 inc.VAT

ocUK 8800GT 512Mb - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008 - £182.11 inc.VAT

I think that would be a very good system indeed. :D Obviously, this is just my thoughts but the GT is a cracking card at a really good price! £182 for a card quicker than a GTX! Also, the PSU is my choice as I like the OCZ PSU's (have x2 of them in x2 PC's). However, there are other choices here as the PSU market has a lot of choice for buyers.

Associate
OP
Tut Tut ;) Had a feeling that may be the case re the gfx card. Was hoping there might be an outside chance that it was backwards compatible.

Anyhow, the PSU looks good. Not too sure about the gfx card. Don't think I need one of those babies to play games like Civ II...

Thanks for the input! :)

Associate
See if your current PSU supports PCI-E cards ( 6-pin power cable for PCI-cards). If so u should get something cheap and good like the 3850 for 105 ish. Will run nicely on your system enabling you to play more recent games and also it's good if you are watching DVD's and in general plan to use your PC as a media center.

Soldato
Current PSU might be out of spec, i.e. not ATX 2.x.

How about...
  • Corsair VX 450W ATX PSU (CMPSU-450VXUK) £39.99
  • HIS ATI Radeon HD 3850 Pro 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail £89.99
  • Sub Total : £129.98
  • Shipping : £8.95
  • VAT : £24.31
  • Total : £163.24

Back
Top Bottom