How easy is it to dremel sections out of a case?

Associate
I'm looking at the Aerocool P7-C1. It looks beautiful and it fits with the aesthetic of my modern/futuristic flat really well. I've not seen a case I like more. I would happily spend more on a case, but I've not seen one I like better than this other than some of the £1000+ In-Win's which are beyond my budget.

For my next build I have the budget and time for a watercooled build and would like to fit a XSPC RX320 white radiator at the front. However, looking at the case and reviews, there's no way it would fit.

Here's a photo of the problem: https://www.nikktech.com/main/images/pics/reviews/aerocool/p7_c1_tempered/aerocool_p7_c1_16.jpg

This cut out section is ~50mm, not nearly enough for a 56mm rad + 25mm fan.

Below this cutout on the case is a removable 3.5" bay drive which I don't need as I'm going for 500gb m.2 paired with a 500gb SSD I already own so I can remove it. I have a NAS for all my photos/videos/music so it's just OS/games/documents I want on the installed disks. If I need more than my current 1tb space I'll buy another m.2/SSD.

I've never used a dremel to remove sections of a case but since it's a £90 case (annoyingly the black one is less-- i want the white one) so it's not the end of the world if I ruin it, but I would like a little advice on how easy or difficult it would be to extend that cut out section and fit a larger radiator.

More importantly, I'd like to do this without a obvious jagged cut, I could sand the join but can I paint it without taking the entire case apart?

Ruining a £90 case isn't the end of the world, I certainly wouldn't try to mod a £300 case, but any pointers would be welcome!

Thanks for any advice :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's certainly possible. I would say your better off watching YouTube videos for tips.

Essentially, what I would do is mark out the cut, use masking tape to keep it true and drill small holes along the cut line and use the dremel to cut between the holes. Take your time, don't go crazy with the dremel and have spare cutting discs.

You can then use the dremel to sand down and smooth the new cut. Once you've done that you can spray/paint the edge.

Use safety glasses!!!

I wouldn't be without my dremel and addons for it, fantastic bits of kit.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips! It looks simple enough to give a go. As I said, for a £90 case I don't mind damaging it.

Also, I'm willing to pay ~£100 to someone who willing do this for me, it'll cost me that in equipment as I don't have the tools.

Soldato
Thanks for the tips! It looks simple enough to give a go. As I said, for a £90 case I don't mind damaging it.

Also, I'm willing to pay ~£100 to someone who willing do this for me, it'll cost me that in equipment as I don't have the tools.

Well, you can get a couple of scrap bits of metal and try on that first.

Failing that, and you may scoff but ask your local car body shop for a quote. I've done it before! Alternatively put the feelers out on here and ask if anyone would do it.

Can you not borrow a dremel? Rent one? You can buy far cheaper non dremel branded rotary tools for as cheap as £20.

Finally, email Kustompc (google it) and ask them to do it.

Associate
I've started using engineer's blue (sometimes called marking fluid) to aid in the marking of any lines that need cut. Previously used masking tape but this just roughed up and collected the swarf, sometime marking the paint the masking tape was used to protect. Making the cut is the easy bit, getting it straight and true is the hard bit!

Associate
OP
I've started using engineer's blue (sometimes called marking fluid) to aid in the marking of any lines that need cut. Previously used masking tape but this just roughed up and collected the swarf, sometime marking the paint the masking tape was used to protect. Making the cut is the easy bit, getting it straight and true is the hard bit!

Thanks, I had planned to tape or clamp a block of wood into place to mark the line and run the dremel along it, but I guess the dremel would just cut into the wood. These tips are all very helpful! :)

Associate
Your biggest killer issue is being 110% certain when your done that all the metal bits are removed, heard a few horror stories of people blowing stuff up after "Just doing a bit of a hole here"

Be careful, measure twice cut once and all that, but you certainly sound like doing research first so all should be good :)

Associate
It would be easy to drill out the rivets holding the bottom plate in, remove it completely, then chop it using a chop saw or hacksaw. Stick some 240 grit ceramic sandpaper to a flat surface and smooth the cut until it looks nice! re-rivet or use small bolts to re-fit the plate. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom